TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Newport News, VA

Author Topic: Newport News, VA
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I'd take a rail trip to the end of the NE corridor and visit the maritime museum in this city. It's easy to do for me: Boston to DC on the Acela and the regional from there down. It takes all day, which is good, but it means 2 days of travel and one day for the museum. And, more significantly, 2 nights in a hotel in Newport News. Does anyone have any thoughts on places to stay?

Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I recall (from having been stationed across the water at Little Creek Naval Amphib 20 years ago, there isn't much near the Amtrak station in Newport News.

The Williamsburg station is right at the edge of the historic district and very near lodging. You might want to consider overnighting there and making Newport News a daytrip.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You recall correctly,...LOL, there isn't much near the NPN train station.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,
Thanks for the reply. I was trying to do this w/o a car. There are some motels near the airport which is about halfway between the two Amtrak stations. The museum is quite close to the Newport News station. I'm assuming that cabs are available.

Also, I, too, was in the 'gator Navy, but more like 45 years ago.

Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
W/o a car, couldn't you still stay in Williamsburg, taking #67 to Newport News and #66 back? Or is that too little time in Newport News, esp if #67 is late?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

If everything runs on time it would give me about 3.5 hours in the museum which is a little short but doable. I anticipate, though, that I'd be watching the time and worrying about getting back to the station on time to catch the return train. I think the simplest thing is to stay in one of those hotels out by the airport and then I don't have to worry about making connections.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is much to be said for not having to watch the clock while trying to enjoy a museum Tom.

Must confess that my time at Little Creek was not 'gator Navy' related though. I was an Army Bandsman and the Armed Forces School of Music training Army, Navy, and Marine Corps musicians is located there.

My 7 months at Little Creek was one of the more fascinating experiences of my life and I'll further confess that I went AWOL for a day to take Amtrak from Newport News to Washington, DC. To this day, that remains my only trip on the train then known as the Colonial.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak Newport News station is on Warwick Blvd., near the US 17 bridge over the James River. There are a number of inexpensive motels, including a Super 8, on Warwick Blvd. quite close to the train station. The Mariners' Museum is also off Warwick, about two miles west of the station (taxi distance, too far to walk). The better hotels, unfornately, are elsewhere in Newport News. But you should be able to find something cheap, safe, and adequate.

While you're there, you might want to try to stop at the Transportation Museum at Ft. Eustis. It's definitely worth a visit.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page