RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » AAPRCO question?

Author Topic: AAPRCO question?
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received an email announcing a run from Los Angeles to Portland. I would like to take photos of the cars involved. Does anyone know the time and date of departure from L.A.? Also does anyone have tips on the best place to take photos of this train? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are so many places between Los Angeles and Portland. Do you have a preference as to what part of the coast you'll be in? One of the "classic" locations is Gaviota Trestle in Southern California---it's gorgeous. I might ride this trip--gotta look into it a bit more.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply Smitty. Preferably somewhere between L.A and Ventura. Maybe at some point where it would be moving at a slow speed.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe somewhere in Chatsworth approaching the Santa Susana Tunnel
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Just looked at the area around the Santa Susana tunnel. Hard to tell what's private property or public property. I wonder if I would be allowed on the platform at Union Station without a ticket.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had friends who have set up their camera on the platform at Union Station (without a train ticket), and they were contacted almost immediately by Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept deputies. Union Station is a "beat"--so there are always deputies present. I think you would be approached fairly quickly.

One of my favorite locations where I have seen pictures taken from is Gaviota Trestle, located at Gaviota State Park. Here is a link to various photos of the park:

http://tinyurl.com/3eyd8nf

I have seen some really neat photos taken from there, and one in particular was really fantastic. The photographer set up well in advance of the train coming by walking out to the end of the pier. By being far out "at sea" thanks to the pier, the trestle shot turned out amazing. But you might not be interested in traveling that far...it's about midway between SBA and Lompoc. Here is a link to the park's website:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=606

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting run off the LAUPT platforms is nothing new, as such happened to me during June 1962. I had a ticket to Chicago in hand for that evening's Super.

'You can wait inside the station; not out here."

Wonder why active railfanning is something that has been in my rear view mirror for now over twenty five years.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Smitty you are correct about Gaviota being too far for me to travel. I am still looking into the Sata Susana area though.

When someone knows of a date and time of departure from Union Station please post it here.
Thanks.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last spring I sat on a platform at LAUPT for 40 minutes happily snapping photos of arriving and departing trains. I did have a ticket on the outbound Southwest Chief ready to show if challenged, but wasn't. Various railroad personnel (including Amtrak) walked by and said hi and nothing else. Maybe I was just lucky.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Refugio State Beach was my Coast Daylight spotting site (the family camped there) of my youth.

Old PCH around Hobson Beach is good.

101 near Rincon is good.

Just outside Glendale might be good, at a grade crossing...

Cue the Bingarino...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbgLaAIrYFw

It's too bad the Taft High School fight song has never been youtubed [Frown]

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chatsworth Park according to google is public lands except for the right-of-way ...

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page