RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Washington Post article on private rail cars [CROSS-REFERENCE]

Author Topic: Washington Post article on private rail cars [CROSS-REFERENCE]
mpaulshore
Member # 3785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mpaulshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a cross-reference to my post, in the Private Rail and Special Trains section, concerning a long, well-illustrated front-page article in today's (Friday, September 2, 2011) Washington Post about private rail cars. I'm including this cross-reference here in the Amtrak section because, inevitably, the article has a good deal to do with Amtrak.

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/40/22.html

Please make your comments at that post in Private Rail and Special Trains, not here. I'm trying to hold out against the general tendency to have everything be in the Amtrak section.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting article..... nice pictures and videos.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to know how the PV owner came up with the name: "Kitchi-Gammi Club"?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like "Gitche Gumee," the Ojibwe name for Lake Superior. Maybe it's an alternative spelling.

(Later.) Ah, found it.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK - Now I've got Gordon Lightfoot stuck in my head.

Lightfoot Moment

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny you should mention Gordon Lightfoot. As I type this, I'm watching a sales pitch on tv for a Time-Life music collection. Gordon Lightfoot just sang "If You Could Read My Mind."
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I took my wife to see Gordon Lightfoot in concert while we were dating in the mid-1990's. She is 9 years younger than I am and was not quite sure who Gordon Lightfoot is...... until he launched into "If You Could Read My Mind."

She smiled at hearing something she recognized....but later admitted that she had always thought that Cat Stevens sang that song.

--------------------
David Pressley

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like it's a losing cause to try not to have everything in the Amtrak section, eh? Or to keep threads on the straight and narrow. (That's one of the joys of this forum, the fascinating meanders we take . . .)
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Henry, and that is why I like this forum.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You took the words right out of my mouth" Smitty. Good grief we agree twice in one month. Must be something in the water. Seriously I don't think new comers realize that those of us who are regular on the forum have, in my opinion, become friends. As such we feel free to talk about all kinds of subjects and eventually get back "on track." I know I have learned a lot of interesting things from vaious people.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Hmmm....I think it's time for me to buy a lotto ticket!
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm..... And of course you will share the winnings with Train Lady!!!!
Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right on Dee!!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
I would charter a couple of PV's and have a Railforum party on the rails!
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes the Witches of November.Michael Armagost was the Third Mate on the Mighty Fitz the night she succumbed to that terrible November night. My wife and I went to visit my friend John who was Mike's younger brother that night. We were met at the door by John's girlfriend telling us that Mike's boat was missing and may have sunk.

We sat with John all that night listening for news. There was no CNN or twenty four hour news cycle back then. W e simply relied on the local ten o'clock news in those days.

We were up till sunlight till we heard the news. The event, song and the date will always have a personal note with me. To this day on November tenth I will always think back to that night, throw a shot back and salute those twenty nine brave men who still lay at the bottom of that Great Lake.

Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Hmmm . . . how much would it cost to charter a PV on, say, the Southwest Chief from Chicago to LA? Perhaps split a dozen ways, the tariff would be affordable.

Black tie for dinner, maybe?

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vaguely recall somebody quoting somewhere $10k-$20k for a basic tow on the back of a LD Amtrak. More once you decide what kind of service you want in your private car, then consider shunting at each end (and to/from owner's location), potential empty backhaul, crew, storage...

A quick Google locates some offerings of 3-4 day tours for $1400 per person.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
We would probably want a car that has the following: dome, bedrooms, lounge, kitchen, and great staff. I can only think of one car that meets those guidelines, but it is based in Oakland (the Silver Solarium). There would have to be a dead-head charge from Oakland to LA, and then LA back to Oakland. The way to avoid a deadhead charge is to contact the owner (I know him personally) and arrange a trip where the car is already in LA for some other trip. There are several numbers that need to be put together, and here is the sheet with the nitty gritty:

http://tinyurl.com/3mx4nbk

I've always wanted to do something like this. I've traveled on several PV's, but it has always been part of a large tour group. That sorta takes the fun out of it because the dome is crowded, the open vestibule is crowded, and there is ALWAYS "one of those" who stands at the front of the dome with his 3 or 4 cameras taking photos non-stop (blocking the wonderful view from the rest of the paying passengers). But with a small group, that can be avoided.

If anyone was ever serious about doing it, I would go. Splitting the cost between, say, 8 people or so--that would make the cost fairly reasonable.

MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, this is starting to sound awfully tempting...
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC that was the cars name in Pullman Company service. I will check my 1950 list of cars to see.
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Of course with the car already in Oakland, why not price a roundtrip Oakland - Denver on the back of the California Zephyr?

THAT'S the scenery that the domes were designed for anyway, right?

Save those nasty deadhead and positioning moves...... though I'm not sure with the temporary Denver station situation whether there is a viable house track in place for an overnight stay there.

--------------------
David Pressley

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
That's a possibility as well, David. The one thing that comes to mind is that I'm not sure if Amtrak will do a switching move in Denver. If not, then we would be stuck paying for the car to run to Chicago, sit overnight, and then run all the way back to Oakland. I'll ask the owner if Amtrak switches at Denver. If they do, then would be a neat trip.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Maybe, just maybe, the Private Varnish could be dropped at the far end of the one track on Denver's temporary platform by #6 and then picked up the following morning by #5.

This is a possibility because, in normal operation, #5 and #6 both run through the wye and then BACK into the station at Denver.

No switching would be neccessary. No turning would be neccessary. Just a pair of railroad men competent to disengage the coupler, brake hose, and HEP lines.

Yes..... I know this costs and I know the crew in question would probably have to be UP or BNSF men rather than someone on the ground from Amtrak...... but if the PV could occupy the tail end of the station track for 12 hours or so, Denver would otherwise be about the easiest midroute location for such a charter to turn back.

--------------------
David Pressley

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Okay, I got my answer. Right now, Amtrak will consider on a case-by-case only, the movement of a PV *through* Denver--but that's all. Absolutely no switching, and absolutely no overnighting. I know that it's possible from our view, but Amtrak has a lot of screwy rules and procedures, and they came out with a firm "no" to all PV operators that a car has to have special approval just to come through Denver--but it is an absolute no for switching one. Sooooo, that means the PV would have to run EMY-CHI-EMY (if approved). That's pretty expensive.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
I also asked about the "Colorado Pine", which is a sleeper that is based in Denver. Apparently he was granted a special one-time permit to get moved out of there, and now he has to keep his car in Indianapolis for the next few years while all of that work goes on at Denver Union Station.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
OK.... so we're stuck with Emeryville-Chicago-Emeryville.

Guess we better recruit enough passengers to sell the car both ways!

--------------------
David Pressley

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Or......There's Oakland to Seattle, overnight, and then back to Oakland. Or...Oakland to LA, overnight, and back to Oakland. With the OAK-LAX-OAK trip, there's no overnight on the train. It might be fun to overnight on a dome/sleeper by doing OAK-SEA-OAK. Just throwing an idea out there....
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I'm thinking this might be fun. I promise if it happens and I get to go, I won't bring 3 or 4 cameras!
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

For Chicago area-based railfans, the 20th Century RR club is offering a three-day dome PV ride behind the SW Chief from Chicago to Kansas City in November, with two overnights in the Westin across from the station and complimentary on-board meals and adult beverages enroute, all for $895 per person double occupancy. Not cheap, but not horribly expensive either.

The KC Westin room rates on the Internet are $199-$207 inclusive. This suggests that the actual cost of the round-trip PV ride is a little less than $500 per person.

Details here. Scroll down for the info, which is in a downloadable .pdf.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgetting the rate of each, but I have to say that my two stays at Westin properties (Detroit and Indianapolis) were the two best stays I had at any hotel this year .

One more stay in Indianapolis area is planned this year (Thanx), but that will be at I-69 and 96th St, or closer to Fishers than Downtown (as near as possible to my friends' home).

And NO; I'm not planning to ride the Hoosier State down there - that one is left to "the faithful".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
You might want to check out the Nickel Plate Grill right by the tracks in Fishers. You won't be interrupted by any trains unless a special movement by the Indiana Transportation Museum (the FairTrain people) rolls past. The tracks through Fishers are isolated from the rest of the US rail network on either end now.

And a PS - a ride on the ITM FairTrain in vintage stainless Budd coaches is superior to the ride you'll get on the Hoosier State! I've been aboard their train twice now.

Indiana Transportation Museum

--------------------
David Pressley

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think, Mr. Presley, the itinerary for this junket will see Lex Noir heading South on I-65 Thanx morning, followed by Thanx Dinner with my friends (their house along the Geist Reservoir), a hotel at I-69 & 96th St, back on I-65 Friday morning (no 3AM shopping sprees in this camper's repertoire).

No railfanning; just "down and back'. However, I do respect Mr. Presley for telling the Forum of railfan attractions within the region.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, I suspect you would be enticed out of your Lex Noir if the 'real' Hoosier was still running. A nifty little train on the Monon. A departure at 5:15pm would have you in Indianapolis at 9:10 (an hour faster than the current version). No doubt you would be enjoying a glass of vino in its comfortable observation-lounge-parlor car.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
My friends there formerly lived in the Broad Ripple area of Indianapolis (until they had kids ready to go to school) - that is how the Monon got into town. Portions of the ROW are identified as the Monon trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIfJ5X8yDTU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2335WwU_-y0

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page