RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » C & W Artist Martina McBride - Amtrak Tour

Author Topic: C & W Artist Martina McBride - Amtrak Tour
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first learned of this event from another site, but it appears that Country and Western performing artist Martina McBride is beginning Today from LA a cross country tour aboard Amtrak.

The tour is labeled as the "Pink Together Express Powered by Amtrak".

It definitely appears that both Amtrak and the Susan G. Komen For The Cure Foundation (in the interest of full disclosure, General Mills is also a sponsor) will be getting favorable publicity from this event (hope you agree Mr. Paulshore). At least one car - a Superliner Sleeper - has been shrink wrapped in the tour's theme.

It appears that Pink Together Express is a special move. Also, whether the artist and her "inner entourage" will actually be aboard for the entire journey or if she will have some on-board "photo ops' and otherwise fly ahead to each station where a short performance will occur.

http://www.martinamcbride.com/news/48441

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20111005005396/en/Pink-Together%C2%AE-Joins-Martina-McBride-Cross-Country-Train

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll pose that question for an opinion to an old friend of mine who is 'in the business' of transporting musicians on tour.

When trains are not part of the equation, the musicians in bigger name acts (of which Martina McBride is one) generally ride the bus from the venue to the hotel and then fly the following day on to the next performance city.

The sound and light crew people.....and other assorted roadies neccessary to pull the tour off... generally ride the bus overnight so as to get started rigging the next venue for when the stars fly in later.

Of course 30 years hence when Martina McBride's legion of teenage fans are in their 40's and somewhat more affluent, then Martina and her band will be ripe for a series of reunion tours playing slightly smaller venues and on a slightly down-sized budget. Once the reunion tours start, the musicians are actually more likely to travel on the, admittedly, very nice buses.

To cite my old friend - Recent tours by the likes of 80's acts Journey, REO Speedwagon, Heart, and Def Leppard are keeping his bills paid in full in an otherwise down economy.

Sure would love to see a picture of that shrink-wrapped sleeper.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's how it went down a few years back for another entertainer on Amtrak:

http://www.concertlivewire.com/neworleans.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/12/earlyshow/leisure/celebspot/main1117757.shtml

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The actual name of the tour is "Eleven Across America". Here's the obligatory video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSArIoFOrBo&feature=player_embedded

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it at Buena Park and there are pictures in the story.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris/martina.html

enjoy,

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in reading notes (and photo captions) on the artists site, she apparantly is on the train. Members of her band flew out from Nashville for the late night platform performance in Albuquerque and, presumably are riding onward from there.

Chris - thanks for the link to your story. I always enjoy the 'being there' sense I get from your reports. Looks like 6 cars including a sightseer lounge and a diner on the special train. Did you happen to notice what the others were? Coaches, sleepers, some of each?

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Did you happen to notice what the others were? Coaches, sleepers, some of each?

I see a Superliner I Coach Baggage, Superliner II Lounge, Superliner II Diner, and three Superliner I Sleepers.

Wasting three sleepers from the revenue pool is not a good thing in my opinion. Should be earning their keep for the general Amtrak traveling public, not a musician special.

Appear to be all Superliner I sleepers, and likely full refurb cars. An even bigger waste.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Locomotives: 194 & 144

Car numbers, front to back:
31006 coach
33034 "Pink Together" wrap Lounge
38055 black Martina McBride wrap, entire car is wrapped Diner
32033 pink ribbon wrap Sleeper
32009 George M. Pullman Sleeper
32015 Sleeper

This is what went by me in Buena Park

chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Martina is great, and I hope to be on hand when she arrives at her final stop -- not because I have a jones for gazing at shrink-wrapped trains, but because I like her music.

Yes, she and her support staff are definitely traveling (and sleeping) on the train from beginning to end. For varying durations, members of the press, disc jockeys, and fan club members are riding along as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Southwest Chief:
[QUOTE]
Wasting three sleepers from the revenue pool is not a good thing in my opinion. Should be earning their keep for the general Amtrak traveling public, not a musician special.

It's no longer high season, when functioning sleeping cars are typically in short supply. At this time of year, the traveling public is in no way being deprived.

This cross-country trip is being heavily promoted, and as these things normally go, her record label will be picking up a large chunk of the tab. Special trains like this earn their keep as high-profile promotional vehicles that benefit the railroad just as much as the recording artist and their cause (in this case, breast cancer). It introduces to average Americans (who likely never give a second thought to passenger rail at all) the idea that you can not only travel across the nation by train, but that doing so is a fun, cool, friendlier-to-the-environment thing to do.

That's not a bad thing at all. I'm glad she's doing this.

P.S. Normally, she uses her tour bus to travel from one concert city to the next. At age 45, she says that this is the first time she has ever been on a train.

-----------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:

It's no longer high season, when functioning sleeping cars are typically in short supply. At this time of year, the traveling public is in no way being deprived.

This cross-country trip is being heavily promoted, and as these things normally go, her record label will be picking up a large chunk of the tab. Special trains like this earn their keep as high-profile promotional vehicles that benefit the railroad just as much as the recording artist and their cause (in this case, breast cancer). It introduces to average Americans (who likely never give a second thought to passenger rail at all) the idea that you can not only travel across the nation by train, but that doing so is a fun, cool, friendlier-to-the-environment thing to do.

That's not a bad thing at all. I'm glad she's doing this.

-----------------
[/QUOTE]

Right on, dilly; agree wholeheartedly!

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I have no issue with the equipment being used for this purpose in a 'shoulder travel season'. This equipment will be back in regular circulation well before Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I would imagine that Ms. McBride is finding the accomodations aboard a Superliner Amtrak train significantly more spacious than even the nicest Entertainer Coach.

I'm sure that Amtrak hopes that the publicity from this event will lead others of a certain age to give rail travel a first try. Hopefully the 'good' Amtrak steps up to meet these novices.

--------------------
David Pressley

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Though we've since learned that many, if not most, of the key players here are, indeed, 'on-the-train', here is an opinion offered by my friend 'in-the-biz' of moving entertainers on tour -

Depends on the actual schedule and acommodations available, as well as tour budget and what they normally do. Flying to gigs is pretty expensive - we downplay how many actual stars we carry - talk more about crew buses and all that, but more and bigger names actually ride than you might think.

--------------------
David Pressley

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked in the music business for 25 years before moving on to other creative pursuits.

During the 1970s and 1980s, most of the major bands I worked with traveled by private jet for entire tours (leased Gulf Streams were especially popular, although chartered Boeing 707s were not uncommon). Top recording artists slightly lower on the food chain typically flew commercial. Up and coming acts opted for tour buses. Struggling newcomers stuffed themselves -- with their equipment -- into vans.

Over the years, I racked up hundreds of thousands of miles criss-crossing the nation in all of them -- from Econoline van to rock star jet. These days, however, expensive private jets are a much rarer sight on the tour circuit. Plus the radical shrinkage of the U.S. airline industry, with far fewer direct flights, has made flying commercial increasingly impractical. If not impossible.

As a result, even major artists now hit the road aboard tour buses. Often, it's the only way to reach towns and cities with severely limited (and frequently non-existent) commercial airline service.

Sadly, Amtrak will never be a viable travel option for touring musicians, apart from those traveling along the Northeast Corridor. Long distance trains reach too few cities. Their arrival/departure times are too inconvenient and unpredictable for musicians who absolutely have to get to their next gig on time.

But as a promotional vehicle? It looks like Amtrak and Martina McBride are doing it right. I hope it inspires other high-profile musicians -- and their fans -- to give trains a try.

----------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
I walked over to New York's Penn Station this afternoon in time for Martina McBride's arrival.

An audience of six to seven hundred gathered around the small stage and PA system that Amtrak and McBride's sound engineer husband had installed in the Rotunda.

The railroad's CMO gave a short speech (surprisingly, this was the first time that a top entertainer had officially partnered with Amtrak for a promotional tour). Several women connected with the breast cancer campaign spoke as well.

Then Martina McBride stepped up and talked to the crowd about how great it had been to see America by train. As she and her musicians launched into an acoustic set of songs from her new album, the crowd grew noticeably larger. Even after three nights of sleeping (or perhaps not sleeping) in a Superliner, her voice was spectacular. Totally impressive.

The entire presentation was warm, low key, and very human-scaled. Very cool. According to the disc jockey who m.c.'d the event, the mini-concert was broadcast live nationwide.

Plus everyone who turned up got an official pink Martina McBride/Amtrak train whistle. Absolutely free.

You'll find videos and photos of her train trip, plus McBride's own onboard trip reports here:

Martina McBride's Amtrak Trip

---------------

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
I believe she is guesting on the Letterman show tonight. Will be tuning in to see if she mentions the rail tour.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Nice pictures from your link Dilly...... and I thought that the pink carnations on the table in the sightseer lounge (while conducting interviews) was a particularly thoughtful touch.

Questions - did the special train come to New York via the Lake Shore route or via Pittsburgh? Also, did the superliner consist actually run all the way into Penn Station? I didn't think it would fit.

--------------------
David Pressley

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Questions - did the special train come to New York via the Lake Shore route or via Pittsburgh? Also, did the superliner consist actually run all the way into Penn Station? I didn't think it would fit.

The special Superliner train took her from L.A. (via Chicago and Pittsburgh) to Washington D.C.

She performed in Chicago Union Station's Great Hall. At Pittsburgh, she and Amtrak hosted an informal breast cancer ceremony/meet and greet, apparently in the station's original 1903 waiting room (which is normally off limits to passengers because the main building has been converted to residential/commercial use).

She did the same at Union Station in Washington D.C. Then she apparently transfered to a special NEC train, made one last meet-and-greet stop at Philly's 30th Street Station, and ended her coast-to-coast trip with the mini-concert at Penn Station in Manhattan.

I haven't seen photos of the final NEC leg of her trip. Since it was so brief, I doubt that any of the single level cars were "wrapped."

No mention of the trip on David Letterman last night (Dave didn't interview her; she simply sang during the show's final moments). Her appearance on Good Morning America today was less rushed. The rail trip got a bit of airtime (after several days on the train, McBride couldn't remember what day it was), and a few photos of the journey were shown.

-------------------

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Maybe some photos from Pittsburgh and Washington will surface.

--------------------
David Pressley

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta say the material posted at Ms. McBride's site sure beats the usual "press" that Amtrak seems to get.

While C&W is "not exactly" my genre, I understand this artist is recognized as "big name".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
"They made it"; here is a Times review of the short concert Ms. McBride gave upon arrival at Penn:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/15/arts/music/martina-mcbride-at-pennsylvania-station-review.html

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Thanks, Gilbert. Nice review of her Penn Station mini-concert -- I think!

As with many Times music reviews, the writing style (and opinions expressed) are somewhat scattershot and filled with backhanded compliments, so it's not easy to tell if the reviewer actually liked it. Plus the size of the audience was at least double his estimate.

A YouTube search for "Martina McBride" videos posted within the past week has turned up quite a few shot by railfans and others -- including a striking one of the "wrapped" train rolling through the L.A. yards, another of a BNSF freight locomotive pulling it into Albuquerque (after Amtrak's own engines experienced mechanical trouble), and several more showing McBride in transit across the midwest, bouncing around inside the apparently empty lounge car while talking to an interviewer about her music.

To judge from her comments elsewhere, she clearly bonded with traveling by train for the same reasons that most of us have:

“I didn’t want to take a nap yesterday because I didn’t want to miss anything. Especially at night, it drives me crazy to not know what’s out there and what I’m not seeing. Watching America pass by the window . . . it’s just very inspiring.”

Overall, I think she's been a great ambassador for Amtrak. I wouldn't be surprised if she does it again, along a different routing.

--------------

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
USA Today has posted a 4 minute video of Martina McBride taking viewers on an onboard "tour" of her Superliner promotional train.

She walks viewers through the sleepers, dining car, sightseer lounge, coach, and food areas, interacting with passengers and crew along the way.

You can watch it here:

Martina's onboard Superliner tour

The webpage also contains thumbnail links to three other videos of the trip.

----------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Although the Komen Foundation has been criticized in some corners for being more marketing than charitable program oriented, it nevertheless is dropping both public awareness and $$$$ on the program it supports - neither of which would be available for the program if a marketing oriented organization such as Komen had not adopted such.

While the linked material from Today's Times is not rail related, it certainly reports on the marketing "juggernaut" the Foundation has developed:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/business/in-the-breast-cancer-fight-the-pinking-of-america.html

Another example of a program linked to a marketing savvy sponsor is drunk driving awareness through MADD.

That a reportedly big name performing artist, was agreeable to take an X-country tour by train simply represents priceless public relations for Amtrak. That "everything worked' (and when it didn't, BNSF pulled to the rescue) and that this journey did not become some kind of fiasco, are all indeed "pluses".

Amtrak interests, and notably Long Distance train interests, have been furthered for having participated in this promotion.

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
USA Today has posted a 4 minute video of Martina McBride taking viewers on an onboard "tour" of her Superliner promotional train.

She walks viewers through the sleepers, dining car, sightseer lounge, coach, and food areas, interacting with passengers and crew along the way.

You can watch it here:

Martina's onboard Superliner tour

----------------

Thanks for the video link.

Nothing but the best for Martina. All fully refurbished cars.

While the paying public misses out on these for their trains. The fully refurbished sleeper pool is pretty small and she got three. So this still bugs me.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Martina performed the National Anthem at Indy today. While so far as I'm concerned there is only one way any artist or ensemble will perform the Anthem - and that is "the Army way" - I give her an A-.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
An old Army Bandsman story - Normal protocol when performing the National Anthem in a military ceremony is for the band to remain at attention with the horns held in playing position after the last note is ended. The person directing the band.... normally the unit commander.... will then turn and salute whichever superior officer is present. Following the salute, the director will turn back to the band, bring the horns down, and then call the unit to parade rest.

For roughly two years.... perhaps a shade less... of my military bandsman experience, we had a nervous commander wary of someone embarrassing him by bringing a horn down too soon. He would always hiss "Keep 'em up!" as he cut off the National Anthem.

One afternoon, on the bus heading home from yet another ceremony, one of our tuba players observed in his native Kentucky drawl "I used to think the last words of the National Anthem were 'play ball' but here I've learned that they really are 'Keep 'em up!'".

--------------------
David Pressley

Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I'm impressed with both Martina and Amtrak! Good publicity for both! Just wish I could have ridden along!

--------------------
Train Granny

http://www.traingranny.com
http://www.facebook.com/traingranny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page