RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Where Can I Find a Cheap Hotel in.....

Author Topic: Where Can I Find a Cheap Hotel in.....
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....New York?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/13/us/at-bowery-house-hotel-flophouse-aesthetic-of-old.html

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a reasonable hotel or two that I like near DC Metro Stations and next month I'll be trying a Comfort Inn at the Providence airport out.

I believe those are the nearest lodging I'll seek to New York for awhile......

In other words, I just politely said "Thanks but I'll take a pass on this place....."

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, somehow think the Greenwich (CT) Hyatt will continue to be my "campground' on the trips I make to the NY area - even if at times I think their rates can get "obscene".

DC? even if I find myself staying in Fredericksburg which is near where friends of mine reside, I think this place could have possibilities - and their rates do not appear to be "out of line". Fredericksburg? well I'd really prefer to stay here, but this is closer to their home, which is on the perimeter of Fort AP Hill (hey, they're both retired military; where else would you expect?).

Oh, as one can readily gather, I prefer major brand properties, but somehow for Reunion last June, I survived two nights here. For those into B&B's, they would find it "charming", but that simply is not my scene (it was our Class '61 HQ and no "majors" within 25 miles).

disclaimer; no promotional consideration received from any of the lodging establishments noted.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some day I will likely give this New York Ave Marriott a try..... though for now when in the DC area I generally use the Camp Springs, MD Country Inn. It's near Andrews AFB and a short walk from the last Green Line Metro Station..... and an even shorter courtesy van ride

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
At related topics to this, I have noted that more than one member has asked about hotel Courtesy Vans; will they or won't they do a "run" to the train station.

While this of course varies from property to property, it seems like the "hard and fast" answer at this Crowne Plaza last weekend was "two miles'. In short, there would be no ride to the Amtrak Peachtree Station, but there would be to the MARTA Dunwoody.

However, this Marriott is somewhat further away from KPIT than two miles, but they offer Courtesy Van service to there.

An experience I had at this Marriott was they were set to offer a ride to a restaurant in Country Club Plaza, but Mr. Pullman and I wanted to go to this restaurant's outlet that offered "tables with a view".

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Holiday Inn on the Bay in San Diego will pick up and deliver you by van to/from the Amtrak Station "depending on availability". It's about a two and a half block walk.

The do regular runs to the airport and back.

They also were offering transfers to the Cruise Ship Dock which is essentially across the street. It is a handy way to go, though, because they can handle lots of luggage and also drop you off right at the luggage check in spot.

Frank in foggy and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to do a double-take on the Subject of this thread! I thought to myself, "What??? GBN asking about a cheap hotel somewhere?? Say it ain't so!!". [Smile]
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fortunately, my lodging is in NYC is taken care of by a son living in Morristown, NJ, a nice NJT ride from mid town.

Sbalax has good hotel recommendations - the somewhat quirky but very nice and reasonable King George Hotel was ideally located for exploring the city by the bay.

In Santa Barbara, we like the Marina Beach Motel. It feels more like a comfortable inn than motel and just a short walk to the beach and downtown activities.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
It ain't so, Mr. Andy Smith.

Be it assured that, save a family emergency in which case I'd bunk in with family and make the best of it, if it is "no dough" for the major brand hotels at which I feel "at home' (well to the extent anyone is at home in a hotel), it is a "no go".

"On the cheap' may have been one thing during college and Service, but it "ain't no mo".

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Albany, NY Crowne Plaza on Lodge St. will provide shuttle service to and from the Amtrak station free of charge to guests. In fact, I discovered last August that it was possible (for a small tip done discreetly) to get the van driver to run me to the station even though I wasn't a guest. I had just turned in my Hertz rental car at their site colocated with the hotel.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Here's an article appearing in The New York Times that should be of interest to the "where can I find a cheap hotel in New York" crowd:

http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/7-manhattan-hotel-rooms-for-150-more-or-less

It appears this is becoming an annual Fall right of passage with The Times.

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try the Jane Hotel. I stayed there and the story below has pictures.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris/2010nyc.html

chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. GBN, interesting article. It is interesting how the "avantgarde" of society needs to gravitate to the seamier side of life, usually safely at arms length. I wonder if it to assure themselves of their status, assuage the guilt of being well off, or an attempt to acquire some empathy with the less fortunate?

I do have a question for the veteran travelers who read and contribute to this blog pertaining to travel accommodations.

Do any of you use Hotwire to reserve a hotel room? I did for the first time this week. A friend of mine, and his family, are frequent users of Hotwire. He has told many times of the great deals that he gets at good hotels. I was amazed at the savings.

I booked a room that listed well above $120 with a discount. The Hotwire price was $69. The room was very nice. Four big fluffy pillows. Lots of sheets and blankets on a bed that was exceptionaly comfortable ( I am picky about the mattress due to back trouble).

Of course there is a downside. You can't cancel and get a full refund or maybe no refund. So there is a bit of risk.

Anyway I am curious if anyone else has used some of the discount internet services?

Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use both Hotwire and Priceline and have always been pleased with the results. The non-refundable part is unfortunate and I have had to give up two hotel rooms due to travel plan changes but I still think it is a great deal.

In fact, I have a room tonight at the Sheraton Harbor Island in San Diego that will go begging. Had to cancel the cruise due to my husband's illness.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I have never used any of these consolidator or auction sites as their business model is simply contrary to what I want, and am willing to pay for, when traveling.

"The best surprise is no surprise".

Yes, I know there are some great deals to be had through these services, but travel is disruptive enough to me at my age without having the uncertainty of what your lodging will be like - and since it was booked through a third party will you even have it. During 2012, I have not stayed at any hotel during my 25 nights out that I had not previously stayed with before. That of course is not always the case, but this year, that is how it went down.

All told, want the bargain, it would appear those sites are a good deal, but if you want predictability, "my way is the only way".

Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to Hopeful and GBN for your responses. I think that you are both correct in that you can get good deals but bigger the savings the bigger the potential risk. Case in point, the church group on the recent Kansas City trip told me that they had booked their folks through a Priceline/Hotwire kind of service and the hotel apparently overbooked. Part of their group got shuttled off into "broom closet" kinds of rooms with fold down beds. They were unhappy.
Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, Iron Mtn. ^^^

Reminds me of early in my Amtrak career, the crew-tel in CHI was a vintage place called the P*** C*******. There was a dusty wing far from where the regular guests were ensconced that the "rails" were booked. Ah distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December - some of the rooms had NO HOT WATER, a dangling 60 watt lightbulb and unclean bedding and mattresses. It was not nice.

But that was early 80s; things have vastly improved for the crews that domicile in CHI at present, I hear!

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
RR Bob, could Amtrak "suitable lodging" have been as bad as this place?

Brief passage:

• Once inside, I noticed both airline Flight Crews and railroad Train crews also checking in.

Now please no misunderstandings on this point; I am not about to be party to any derogatory comments regarding persons who 'have my life in their hands' be it whether I'm in Seat 19A or that I am in the proximity of 5000 tons of stuff that can go 'boom', i.e. HAZMAT, But having been in the transportation industry for a while in this life, I do know that those carriers are not about to spend a buck for lodging of their Operating Crews that they need not spend.
Doesn't appear the place has gotten any better than I found it to be during 2010.

No wonder I stay at major brands (whoops, one exception this year) with Marriott Fairfield "as low as I go".

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page