RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » kansas city: which hotel better for train station?

Author Topic: kansas city: which hotel better for train station?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both the Westin and Hyatt hotels seem to be at the Hallmark Crown Center, by the train station. Which of these hotels is more convenient for getting to and from the train if arriving late on the SW Chief? Will I need to take a taxi? Any other ocmments on either hotel appreciated
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both the Westin and the Hyatt are connected to Union Station by an enclosed, elevated walkway "The Link." From the station, the Westin is the closer. After passing through the Westin lobby, the link continues on to the Hyatt. Both are nice, if impersonal, hotels. I have stayed at both and find the Westin a bit brighter and with better food. The location of Crown Center is a bit isolated from the sights of Kansas City, other than the WW1 Museum and Union Station itself. Consider a short cab ride out to Country Club Plaza for shopping and the nearby Nelson-Atkins and Kemper museums. Also in the area is the Raphael Hotel, a beautifully restored property from the 1920s with an outstanding restaurant.
Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget to hit the BBQ joints while in KC. I recommend Gates Barbecue.

http://www.gatesbbq.com

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I think I will stay at Country Club Plaza, then, though I am esp interested in seeing that ship SS Arabia--and music museum--where are they and can I get down to them without a car from Country Club Plaza? Must I take taxis? Are they expensive?

About how much will a taxi from Union Station to Country Club Plaza be? If I get in at night, is there a problem getting one? Do I need to phone ahead???

BBQ is a definitely planned; I have read Calvin Trillin but hear Arthur Bryant has gone down so may try Gates . . . will depend on ease of getting around.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner, to my surprise, rates at The Raphael, a Marriott property, are "not all that much" higher than at Marriott Country Club Plaza, where I have stayed as recently as April '10.

Country Club Plaza is quite something. I first discovered it on a business trip during the '70's when I was with the MILW and was astounded that a city with a reputation as a "cow town' would have an area such as that.

Country Club Plaza is some four miles South of Union Station, so I would think $15 each direction would take care of things and without adding "cheapskate' to the cabby's vocabulary.

If the rates at either noted Marriott property are unacceptable, there is a Best Western quite near the noted Marriott. There is also a Homestead Suites within the immediate area.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Country Club Plaza area is the best choice. With all the redevelopment, downtown Kansas City has become a bland, sterile place. Not dangerous, just desolate. Even at mid-afternoon, the sidewalks are virtually deserted. And the Crown Center area is even more boring.

As for hotels. . . I remain a fan of bidding on Priceline.com. I scored at room at the Country Club Plaza Marriott for $55 per night this past summer. More recent bids reported on biddingfortravel.com show you can likely get a comfortable room in that neighborhood by bidding between $60 to $80 per night.

Note: a modern, super-express rapid transit bus makes limited stops between Country Club Plaza, Crown Center, Union Station, and Downtown. The local public transit entity runs it every 15 minutes or so, and it's the most economical way to get around ($1.50 as I recall). They call it the MAX.

For travel at night, however, take a taxi. And set aside a little time to explore Union Station itself. It's a beautiful, very atmospheric building.

---------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stlboomer:
...Also in the area is the Raphael Hotel, a beautifully restored property from the 1920s with an outstanding restaurant.

This caught my eye and I had not heard about the Country Club Plaza area - thanks.

And, GBN, as you noted this is a Marriott property. Apparently it's part of their 'Autograph' collection. A group of hotels that they are trying very hard to distinguish from the Marriott branded properties to avoid the stigma of chain hotels. Interestingly this includes new hotels as well as historic ones such as this. One that we are likely to visit sooner rather than later is the Grand Bohemian Hotel in Biltmore Village near Asheville and at the gate for that grand estate. Seems like a good spot to stay after arriving on the Asheville Special.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Marriotts are just too expensive for me (unless I do the priceline thing). I'm more of a Hampton Inn/Holiday Inn person. I have to check out these Drury Inns that you all recommend too.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The auction and other deep discount sites are not for everyone, Mr. Dilly.

They certainly are not for me who is willing to pay what must be paid in order to have "the best surprise is no surprise'.

Suffice to say, I've never used one, but from what I understand, you submit a bid for a category of hotel (DeLuxe, cheap, whatever), and if accepted, you're committed and only at that time, you learn where you are staying.

Let's say to me it would be like playing Russian Roulette with blanks.

Finally to Ms. Sojourner, this year eight of my twenty two nights out of town have been or will be at Holiday Inn Full Service or Express properties; we really are not in different worlds regarding hotels. Here is a review I wrote on an exceptional Full Service HI property:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g35277-d1026027-r102975565-Holiday_Inn_Statesboro_South-Statesboro_Georgia.html

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

Let's say to me it would be like playing Russian Roulette with blanks.

I understand your reticence, Mr. Norman. With that said, I've used Priceline for dozens of trips. Although I'm sure glitches can happen, I've never been unpleasantly surprised.

I limit my bids to downtown/center city neighborhoods and bid for 3 stars (Priceline's highest is 4). I've always ended up in a major chain hotel (Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton, Radisson, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, etc.).

During the past year, I've gotten rooms in Chicago (Loop and North Michigan Avenue/Miracle Mile), Kansas City (Country Club Plaza), St. Louis (a block away from the Arch), Los Angeles (Downtown and Santa Monica), New Orleans (French Quarter), Cleveland OH (Downtown), Albany NY (Downtown), and Providence RI (Downtown).

The only caveat is, for small cities, you have to carefully study Pricline's neighborhood maps to determine how large an area their concept of "downtown" actually covers.

Nevertheless, I've never bid higher than $70 per night (although availability and bid acceptance are impacted by time of year and number of conventions in town).

In a few cities -- Dallas, Montreal, Portland OR -- the front desk ladies gave me a suite because business was clearly slow (and I'm so charming!).

P.S. Naturally, I traveled to all of the abovementioned cities via Amtrak.

-----------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can recommend the Hampton Inn at Country Club Plaza. Quiet and comfortable with the best free hot breakfast of any hotel chain, with the possible exception of Embassy Suites (which also has a property a little further from the Plaza). Be advised, however, that the Hampton Inn is a short but steep uphill walk from the Plaza.

I was not aware that the Raphael is now a Marriott property. I can't say I'm pleased, having long acquaintance with them through years of business travel. I did check out their restaurant - Chaz on the Plaza - at Tripadvisor, and was amazed to see it rated #2 in Kansas City by user reviewers.

Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland -

Let me note that one October night at the Grand Bohemian runs roughly 70% of my monthly mortgage...

However, when you do book that room, ask for one that faces the McDonald's....... that will give you a view of the railroad crossing Biltmore Avenue as well. Might catch a freight train every few hours.

The Grand Bohemian is a short half block or so from the old Southern Railway Biltmore Depot which became THE Asheville passenger train station when the larger Asheville station about three miles west closed in 1968. The Biltmore station is now in it's third incarnation of a restaurant.

Also in the area is a funky regional burrito chain called Moe's..... a place I enjoy when I'm in the mood for that kind of food because of it's 'view of the tracks'.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Notelevis- yes the October rates are way too steep for me - but if in the off season, much, much less - $149 on one week I checked. Fortunately our anniversary is the first week in January which is a very slow time for about anyplace other than a ski area. Suits us fine.

And speaking of budget spots - this summer we were on our way back on I-81 and made a quick overnight stop at Staunton, VA (no, the Cardinal wasn't operating that day). We stayed at a Best Western and it was outstanding, for what we needed. Much nicer room than we expected at about $20 less than a nearby Hampton Inn and the hotel was next to the Buckingham Branch RR tracks (perhaps that was a factor in our staying there). Because the hotel was almost full, we were warned that there might be some train noise since our room overlooked the tracks, but I assured them that would be ok. Heard one coal train.

That chain seems to be making a good run to compete against Comfort/Quality Inns and certainly far better than a Super 8 or its ilk.

Lets hope NC DOT kicks out that restaurant at Biltmore village to use it as a station again - hopefully in my lifetime.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:

Fortunately our anniversary is the first week in January which is a very slow time for about anyplace other than a ski area. Suits us fine.

palmland, my sentiments exactly. Mrs. Ocala Mike and I have been married since January 7, 1966 (in N. Kansas City, MO). We went to Hot Springs, AR for our honeymoon and "enjoyed the waters."
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NCDOT has the option on land in the parking lot ACROSS the tracks from the Biltmore Depot and at one point eight or nine years ago had intention of building a multimodal facility for buses and train on that site.

However, there is a lovely brick bank building next door to the Biltmore Depot that is vacant and for sale right now. To give you an idea of it's age and style, it looks more than a little like a slightly smaller version of the Peachtree Station which Amtrak currently uses in Atlanta.

I would be thrilled to see the NCDOT get their hands on that building for a future Asheville Passenger Train station.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page