TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » An appeal for help

Author Topic: An appeal for help
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever hear of "crowdsourcing"? That's an author's term for asking the Internet public for help in a project.

My hardcover publisher has reverted to me all rights to my 1994 book "Zephyr: Tracking a Dream Across America," and I am working on a new, updated and expanded edition to be published both as an e-book and a print-on-demand paperback.

I plan to outline the changes to Amtrak's California Zephyr since the early '90s (such as the disappearance of the Pioneer and the Desert Wind and the revamping of Denver Union Station and the use of Emeryville rather than Oakland as the western terminus of the train). I would welcome from veteran travelers their insights into other changes in this route over the last two decades.

I'll also be expanding the photo section and would welcome contributions.

Finally, I'll try to tell what has become of various members of the crews described in the original book, and how the jobs changed over time.

If you'd like to help, please e-mail me at h.kisor@comcast.net.

Thank you!

Henry

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry--

Another good read to look forward to! I still have my copy of the original and it was a great resource on my one and only ride on the Zephyr. Perhaps it's time for another trip...

Frank in overcast and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry - I already sent you an email.
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry I also sent you an mail/ My computer is acting up so if you didn't get it please let me know
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Kisor--

I have referred your inquiry to friends who reside near Mt. Pleasant (actually closer to KCID), "won't drives/won't flys', and who have relatives residing on the Peninsula that they have periodically gone to visit.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read "Zephyr" just before I took my first long distance train to the west in 2000. Bob Reese was my car attendant - one of the other crew people said they keep him (Bob) around was to dust the ceilings of the cars with his hair because he was so tall. It was one of my best trips & set a high bar for future trips to come. I do have a diary from that trip, but I was so busy looking out the window that I have very few pictures (and they're not digital).

I'm looking forward to buying my own copy, as I read one from the Milwaukee Public Library. It's a classic! And next summer I hope to take the Zephyr trip again.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, could you send me your email address?

Thanks to everyone for their offers of help. I am just getting started, but there's much to do.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done Henry. See your Inbox.

Bob

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page