TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Newspapers in the sleepers

Author Topic: Newspapers in the sleepers
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll find out the answer to the following question the next time I ride the Zephyr (in late February or early March), but . . .

Are LOCAL newspapers (such as the Omaha World-Herald) put aboard LD train sleepers each morning still, or has Amtrak standardized on USA Today?

What have you noticed in the last few months or a year?

Thanks!

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last April in Business Class on the Wolverine, EW it was the Chicago Tribune; WW from Detroit, The Times.

Auto Train last February, the Washington Post.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tomorrow evening I'll be in a roomette on the northbound Crescent (en route Atlanta - Providence on AGR points). I'll keep my eye out for what newspaper offering we have Friday morning.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ColdRain&Snow
Member # 15381

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColdRain&Snow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just rode the CZ from EMY to CHI and the EB from CHI to SEA, and we had local papers on every morning. Papers from Salt Lake City, Omaha, Grand Forks, and Spokane.
Posts: 46 | From: Playa Del Rey, CA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just had the NY Times on the Capitol Ltd out of DC as well as on the Lakeshore Ltd out of Chicago, with the 2nd day's Times probably picked up in Cleveland (I was sleeping so I'm not 100 percent sure).
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't recall any newspapers offered on the Silver Service trains, but then I travel coach. Is this a service only offered to Business Class, Sleeper Passengers, and on the Autotrain?

I rode the CZ five years ago in Sleeper, but I still can't say there were any newspapers offered en route. Maybe I just didn't notice, as I was too busy searching for the free coffee that was supposed to be available but wasn't.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all. Local dailies reflect local idiosyncrasies much more than national newspapers do, and help the reader understand the country that is passing by. Papers do seem to be a sleeper-only perk on the LD trains.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my sleeper trips, i have found the papers to be hit or miss. On one trip, i believe it was the coast starlight, i noticed passengers in another sleeper received newspapers but folks in my car didnt. i almost said something to our attendant but didnt get around to it. i would have liked a paper but it wasnt that big a deal to me.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience on the Surfliners papers are available in Business Class only. If the train originates in SLO you get the local paper from there. The same is true of San Diego or Los Angeles. If the train originates in Goleta you get USA Today. This probably has to do with the antipathy many locals have for the Santa Barbara News-Press and for its current owner, Wendy McCaw.

Frank in sunny and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Northbound Crescent got the McNewspaper (aka USA Today) loaded in Charlottesville, VA this morning. Full report coming in a few minutes.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surfliner out of LA and San Diego gets USA Today
Southwest Chief gets the Pueblo Chieftan in La Junta.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Chris - perfect timing! As I was reading down the thread I was racking my brain as to the name of the place where we had a service stop on the SWC and they brought around the Pueblo Chieftain, and as you say it was La Junta, although given the distance from Pueblo to La Junta we Brits would find it a strange definition of "local"!

I remember we had a Denver newspaper on the CZ (but that was nearly ten years ago now) but only USA Today on the EB and CS.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I wonder if there is any higher decision made regarding which newspaper is put aboard which train?

Something like "We've studied this and discovered that the majority of our passengers prefer USA Today as opposed to the Charlottesville whatever..."

Or, perhaps - "USA Today is a more consistent product than the Minot Daily whatnot....."

But probably it's more likely a matter of "We've cut this deal with USA Today and unless the Pueblo Chieftain can undersell McPaper, that's what's going aboard the train in LaJunta...."

--------------------
David Pressley

CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got the New York Times both ways on the Crescent last week. [Big Grin] But then again, they were both Saturdays, when the McNewspaper does not print.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page