RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Toronto (Willowbrook Yard) Wye

Author Topic: Toronto (Willowbrook Yard) Wye
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I know that the why in Willowbrook yard can only fit a loco and six cars so how dos Via turn trains like the Canadian? Thanks.
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first thought was that this was a logic puzzle that I remembered from a while ago. Not what you're looking for but fun for a few minutes: http://armorgames.com/play/7324/railroad-shunting-puzzle (Flash required)

I don't know the yard in question or the train consist. I guess you're asking how to completely reverse the direction of a >6 car train whilst maintaining the car ordering - if indeed that is really what happens. But my guess would be that the train is first split into portions, lined up on parallel tracks, and then each portion is taken to the wye. Now each portion is facing the "right" way, they portions can be reassembled.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can do it if you have two tracks both longer than the train plus power in approach to the wye.

You pull in a segment of the train that will fit, with power in the shortest leg of the wye. Run through wye, this leaves you pulling the train segment out of the wye. Pull it up past the train adn put it in behind the far end fo the train. Go back to wye end of train, get next set of cars that can go through the wye, wye them and pull them up to just clear of the turnout beyond the far end of the train. Drom them. Go into the track holding train and pull out the first cut. Connect it to the secnod cut, pull forward, push the combined cut into the track holding the train, pushing all if need be, stopping short of clearance point of the other end turnout. Come out, run around train to remaining front end, grab next set of cars, wye, pull out, drop, pull previously wyed cars out and connect to this recently wyed piece, push combinied set back in. Repeat as many times as needed to work through the train.

There are variations that can be worked if you have more and shorter tracks so long as you have enough lengths to leave at least one clear. It is necessary to be able to get the engine from one end to the other.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll respect if Mr. Canuck believes his topic is being hijacked (and I will withdraw this posting should that be the case), but here is another train handling challenge.

Two trains each 100 cars long are about to meet at a siding. However, that siding is only 60 cars long.

Ignoring time considerations, (count a locomotive unit as a car) can it be done?

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Italiancanuck89:
So, I know that the why in Willowbrook yard can only fit a loco and six cars so how dos Via turn trains like the Canadian? Thanks.

Under normal circumstances, VIA doesn't turn the Canadian. When eastbound #2 arrives in Toronto it comes down the Bala Sub. from Washago and enters Union Station facing west. Later that day (or the next day if it arrives really late) it leaves Union Station heading west to Bathurst Street, then up the Newmarket Sub. to the York Sub., then east to the Bala Sub., then north. If for some reason there is a blockage of the Newmarket Sub., the Canadian's equipment will be sent west and turned at Bayview. I have seen that twice in the past several weeks.

If there is an exceptionally long Renaissance train arriving from Montreal, it also will be sent west to be turned at Bayview. That is often the case on Saturdays with #53.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
I'll respect if Mr. Canuck believes his topic is being hijacked (and I will withdraw this posting should that be the case), but here is another train handling challenge.

Two trains each 100 cars long are about to meet at a siding. However, that siding is only 60 cars long.

Ignoring time considerations, (count a locomotive unit as a car) can it be done?

Yes (as you personally no doubt know), but I won't try to explain it as Mr. Google found the answer for me. Plus I nearly got the model trains out to work out the logic. A double saw-by, once past the DIY ads, yields results with the answers.
Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page