RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak's Finest Hour???

Author Topic: Amtrak's Finest Hour???
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting topic has developed at another site suggesting that today is Amtrak's "Finest Hour' in that never has public acceptance of Amtrak's product been stronger.

I'm inclined to hold this may be it; the closest could well be early '80's when W. Graham Claytor was at the throttle.

During that era, everything was new - Amfleets, Superliners, F-40's, and AEM-7's. While needless long distance routes had been eliminated by the Carter Cuts, other routes such as The Desert Wind and Pioneer were inaugurated (those were taken care of by the Mercer-Clinton Cuts). WGC, with his vast railroad and governmental experience appeared to be a "fit" that Amtrak had never previously enjoyed.

Even though patronage rose under WGC, it was still below the 1974 "gas crisis" levels. Today, Amtrak has left that mark in the rear view mirror.

So despite aging equipment, a fair amount of "horror story' travel experiences, and sky high fares, Amtrak today enjoys public acceptance not seen at any other time in its history. The momentum is there and should there be a Romney administration (if you care to believe Karl Rove in The Journal today, there will be), they will choose not to disturb what is there (blow some wind, of course) - and by many a measurement, works.

Posts: 9985 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm inclined to agree with you. I don't know (or care) what Karl Rove has to say, but I just got a vision that Romney is now in position to run the table (IA, NH, SC, and FL), and the ticket's gonna be Romney/Santorum.

Whether the R's or D's ascend to the throne in November, I don't think Amtrak's going away any time soon.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the other site? I don't believe it's not considered cricket to mention the names of other rail sites (sorry for the double negative).

Steve Grande, CEO of TrainWeb, isn't petty about such things. Or anything else, come to think of it.

But I digress. I do agree that Amtrak is winning national acceptance. How much of this is because of Amtrak's own efforts or because of the increasing negativity with which we view the airlines and TSA can of course be argued.

In my own experience, at least this year, the quality and consistency of Amtrak's on-board service has improved a great deal. I'm hoping it's not just I who thinks this way.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
I don't know (or care) what Karl Rove has to say....

We agree once again! Amazing. [Smile]

Interesting thought about Romney's veep choice. He has to pick someone who is hardcore conservative--he knows that he must do this to get the vote from people (like me) who don't care for Romney. Just like McCain picked Palin, Romney will do something similar.

As far as this being Amtrak's finest hour, well, I can see where this statement would work. But I'm pretty hard on Amtrak, so I can find lots of areas where the statement does not work as well. I was once a loyal AmTripper, up until June of 2008 when the Coast Starlight was relaunched ("the relaunch that wasn't a relaunch"). For me, that was the final straw because it was so disorganized and so poorly handled that I said "never again". However, I might be about to break my streak of not riding Amtrak by purchasing a ticket on #14 (Coast Starlight) in February. There will be 8 days straight of the train running nonstop from Los Angeles to Oakland, traveling via Tehachapi and Altamont Pass (through Pleasanton, right by my house!). I'm toying with the idea of taking it not only to Oakland, but just staying on-board and going right on through to Seattle. I might make the reservations today if I can price it out right.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first reaction to this is 'no way' is this Amtrak's finest hour. Consider the spotty quality of on board service, sometimes threadbare sleepers, amdiner on the Cardinal, many stations in disrepair or not used, and seeming management incompetence to right the listing ship. Of course that's looking at it from one who remembers how good it could be.

However, a more rational view is that, yes, the NEC and corridor services are much improved over the days of the last gasp of the PC or non existent CA service. And yes, new equipment is on order,the state programs are robust and what ultimately matters most, ridership is at a all time high. So I guess Mr. Dickens' oft quoted 'the best of times the worst of times' certainly applies to Amtrak.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
and the ticket's gonna be Romney/Santorum.

Whether the R's or D's ascend to the throne in November, I don't think Amtrak's going away any time soon.

If you are correct... I could vote for the Romney RINO and NOT hold my nose.

And Smitty, You could stay at The Pioneer in Seattle, get a nice supper at Ivars, then train trip back the next day. I did that for the Y2K fiasco.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Mr. GBN and a few others who post here I have fond memories of the excellent service which preceeded Amtrak. So my observation is: yes Amtrak is getting better but the bar is low.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page