RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight detour - Tehachapi and Altamont (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Coast Starlight detour - Tehachapi and Altamont
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Vincent! I hate to say it, but every time I come here it's raining. I was joking with friends before I left, "You watch, the weather will turn once I arrive into town". In the 30+ years I've been visiting Seattle, I think the sun has made an appearance once.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone here, I believe it may be Vincent in Seattle, has suggested that the renovation of the Seattle station is moving forward as if it's being done by someone's uncle in his spare time in the evening and weekends.

Perhaps we need to mobilize a platoon of preservationists armed with hand tools to spend a week in Seattle and get that thing moving!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well although I could not make the trip, having a combination of Chris' picture report and Smitty's review was the next best thing. I was actually wondering how it all would turn out for you, Smitty, and am surprised and pleased you had a good experience. Oh well, anywhere from 6 to 10 years 'til retirement.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty when my husband and I included Seattille our plans everyone warned us to take rain wear, We did and it didn't rain one drop the whole time. But when we drove down the coast from Tillimook to SF it rained everyday.Each time I got out of the car to take a picture the rain stopped and when I got back in it started again. Someone was watching over me!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello from on-board Virgin America flight 753! Heading back to SFO now---should be on the ground in about 45 minutes.

I took the light rail system for the first time from downtown Seattle to SeaTac Airport. It was very easy, and worked out great. The entrance to the downtown station is at Westlake Center. There is an entrance at Nordstrom's at street level. You just walk in, take the escalator down, and there you are. At first i thought I was in the wrong place because there were a bunch of buses coming and going. Then I saw the tracks and realized that the light rail shares the station with buses! I talked to the security person there, and he said they are the only setup like this in the world. Not sure if that's true, but I do know that I've never seen anything like it.

The fare is only $2.75. I also learned that there is a stop for the Amtrak/King Street station. It does not stop right 'at' the station, but it's close enough. I forget what the station name is called, but it's 2 or 3 stops after you depart the Westlake station. The trip out to the airport takes about 35 to 40 minutes. Once there, you just take a connecting walkway over to the airport. If you are disabled or have problems walking, then you will have trouble getting into the terminal because it's a good walk---at least 5 minutes or longer, depending on your airline. Virgin America is at ticket counter #3, so the walk from light rail station to ticket counter is 10 minutes.

It's a great setup---I'll never pay the 32 bucks again for a taxi!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been great reading all of the reports and seeing Chrisg's pictures.

Thanks, Smitty, for the information on the light rail to SEA-TAC. It sounds much easier that the city bus that we've taken in the past.

How was your Boeing tour? And did you get in a ferry ride?

Frank in still warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Yes, taking the new light rail is so much easier than the bus service. The light rail vehicles are extremely clean and bright, and I did not find any graffiti anywhere (and I was looking for it). It's usually carved in the plastic seats, in the plastic windows, and just about everywhere. But not these---they are still showroom new. The only drawback is that there are no luggage racks. But my train was only 1/4 full so it was no problem.

I did make it to both the Boeing factory and a ferry ride.

Boeing Factory: So very impressive---extremely impressive. I HIGHLY recommend this trip. I was on the assembly line (in an overhead viewing area) for the 747-8, 777, and 787. I could see the 767 line (and the new military 767 tanker line). I'm ready to go again. It was unbelievable.

Ferry: I took the "Wenatchee" which is one of three of the very largest ferries that they have. It was HUGE. Nice and smooth--you can't even tell when you start moving. Not a single bump or noise. If this is what a cruise is like, I'm ready to go. It was really nice. I did the Bainbridge Island ferry. Over at 3PM, arrive 3:35PM, get off, get right back in line, depart at 3:50PM, arrive Seattle at 4:25PM. I was out on the deck taking pictures in the rain! It was a lot of fun. The round-trip ticket was $7.25.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Mr. Smith, I guess you missed out on the "San Leandro" and her fleet mates; guess what, so did I.

My first trip to San Francisco in this life was during 1962. SP got out of the ferry business during 1958.

Finally, pleased to note you "took me up on" my recommendation of a sailing to Bainbridge - even if you had a rainout. I think the idea of such a pristine community so close, yet I'd dare say isolated, to a major city is unique.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago, when I took the Boeing factory tour, we were told that the tour used to allow visitors to walk on the factory floor and get an up-close look at the manufacturing line. But Boeing found that some of the visitors were actually industrial spies who were collecting metal samples on the soles of their crepe shoes and sending the shards back to their motherlands for analysis.

One warning about taking light rail to the airport. The first train in the morning from downtown doesn't arrive at the airport until 544am, which may be too late for early departures. There are earlier trains that depart from the Stadium Station (one stop south of the International District/Chinatown/Amtrak Station), but you would have to find your own way to Stadium Station.

The ultimate and very rare highlight of any ferry trip is an Orca pod sighting. When the whales are spotted swimming anywhere near the ferry's path the boat will either stop or deviate from its route. The captain will also notify the passengers that there is a pod swimming somewhere nearby.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
They told us the same thing about spies wearing shoes to pick up "samples". Crazy stuff, but I suppose it sounds reasonable.

Orca sightings--now that would be cool. I was out on the back the deck on the return trip, and it was so funny watching the birds stay with the ferry for the entire trip. They do "drafting", just like Nascar race cars do during a race. The ferry creates a suction of air behind it, and the birds know exactly how to get a free ride! They swoop down low, then come up right into the air flow and just hang there, letting the air pull them across. It was hilarious to watch.

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update on construction at King Street Station: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/King-Street-Station-gets-more-rehab-3333632.php#photo-2505316

Bring your hardhats!

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vincent--

Thanks for the link. The picture with the prominent sign for "Aplets" reminds me of the vendors that used to go through the Coast Daylight selling both Aplets and Cotlets. They were a candy made from either Apples or Apricots. I think they may have been made in the Northwest but I know they were marketed by the Southern Pacific.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Aplets and Cotlets--never heard of 'em.
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Smitty--

Apparently they are still made -- in Cashmere, WA. http://www.libertyorchards.com

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page