RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cruising (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cruising
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank--thanks for the link to the Port Everglades webcam. I just watched the Liberty of the Seas depart. How fun! I really have to get my butt on a cruise!!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love Tub aficionados will enjoy this New York Times article comparing cruising today with a voyage on the Titanic (never mind that voyage ended @ 41°27'N 50°8'W rather than the intended 40°43′N 74°0′W):

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/sunday-review/the-not-so-luxurious-titanic.html

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which reminds me. (At my age everything reminds me, but that is only natural.)

My wife and I would like to visit Hawaii someday, but we do not like to fly. I was thinking maybe we could take the Southwest Chief from Chicago to L.A. and then a ship to Hawaii and back. Is that possible?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Kisor--

It most certainly is. Our next cruise -- HAL's Oosterdam -- is a continuation of a round trip between San Diego and Hawai'i. When we get off the ship in Vancouver it will do another Hawai'i roundtrip before starting the Alaska season. Princess also does round trips from Los Angeles.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA (Where Sapphire Princess is currently making its second port call in three days.)

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sbalax, thanks. I just spent the last half hour doing my due diligence and think that the best thing for my wife and me would be to cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii and back on Holland-America, which we liked for our Alaska trip a couple of years ago. We'd use points to get from Chicago to Vancouver and back on the Empire Builder. (Wonder if the points will take us from Seattle to Vancouver.)

I don't think H-AL has scheduled voyages for next February-April, though. At least we didn't see them on the H-AL website.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Kisor--

I don't think you went far enough back. If you choose Hawaii/Marquesas and then go to Page 4 you'll find the Zaandam leaving Vancouver on April 18, 2013 for a 17 day "Circle Hawai'i" cruise. The ports are Honolulu, Lahaina, Hilo, Nawiliwili, and Victoria, BC. Prices start at $2399.00 pp for an inside cabin.

As for getting to and from Vancouver using rewards the SEA-VCN (Not sure about that one!) leg should be included as long as you don't break the trip for more than 24 hours. We did VCN-SEA on the Cascades, spent the night in Seattle and then did SEA-SBA on the Starlight all on one reward. Because we were in a sleeper the Cascades portion was in Business Class. A very helpful Guest Rewards agent told me about that.

If you have any questions e-mail me at my screename @cox.net.

Frank in still sunny and warm SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having recently taken my first real cruise, there is no way I would take a cruise without a balcony. I spent most of my 5-day cruise to Cozumel hanging over the balcony rail watching flying fish or sipping wine in the balcony chairs, watching sunrises and sunsets.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
We've never had anything but a balcony or above either but I was quoting the lowest price to give a point of reference. Some of the consolidators may have a better price or be offering nice perks.

We are in a Deluxe Verandah Suite (Category SA) on Oosterdam. It's twice the size of an ordinary balcony cabin, has a whirlpool tub and a shower, complimentary laundry and dry cleaning and access to the Neptune Lounge.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA about to take a glass of wine out on the balcony to watch the sail away of Sapphire Princess.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of cruises, I have booked our SF hotel for the night prior to our Alaska cruise in July.

We will be taking the Coast Starlight with the bus bridge into SF to the Ferry Building. I have booked Le Meridien via Priceline. It appears to be less than half a mile from the Ferry Building.

Will we have any trouble getting a cab to take us such a short distance? My hubby can't walk far so we will need wheels. I think we get in around 8-9 pm.

Henry, we have taken the round trip Hawaii trip several times out of San Diego. It is terrific.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
We are in a Deluxe Verandah Suite (Category SA) on Oosterdam. It's twice the size of an ordinary balcony cabin, has a whirlpool tub and a shower, complimentary laundry and dry cleaning and access to the Neptune Lounge.

That's quite a palace, Frank, don't forget to come back!

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:

Will we have any trouble getting a cab to take us such a short distance? My hubby can't walk far so we will need wheels. I think we get in around 8-9 pm.

Hmmm, that's a good question. Maybe you can play it by ear and see what the driver's reaction is. I had a situation today where I flew into San Jose airport (commercially, on Southwest), however, my car was parked on the other side of the airport at Atlantic Aviation (because I departed out of there on a private jet). I knew that it would be a very short haul for the driver, so when I got into the cab and he asked me where I was going, I said "Atlantic Aviation---You don't even have to turn on the meter--I'll just give you twenty bucks". He said no problem, and that's exactly what he did. So he was able to snag a quick $20 and then get right back in line for the next fare. You might have to do something like that, or just say, "I will tip you well".

In Las Vegas, this is not an issue because the taxis are HIGHLY regulated. They must go where you say, and they must take the route that you specify--no exceptions. They even have Taxi Police in Vegas to monitor everything. But in SF, that city is such a political and economic mess that I doubt they are monitored well.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty, that's what I was afraid of. What about public transportation from the Ferry Building? Probably only one medium suitcase and one carry on type. The hotel is at 333 Battery.

Private jet???? Such a deal.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Vicki--

Public transportation would mean getting on and off either a trolley or a bus -- not always easy to do with luggage. I'd go with Smitty's suggestion of offering $20.00 or a nice tip. You might also ask the Amtrak bus driver. I have heard, I think on here, of the driver's making detours -- for a tip, no doubt.

I'm thinking we've stayed at Le Meridien -- when it first opened. I'll have to Google Map it.

Frank in sunny and clear SBA

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an ex-cab driver in my college days, it should be mentioned that not turning on a meter was considered cheating on the company. They don't get their percentage. That is not to say it doesn't happen. In fact drivers did it when carrying other drivers as passengers. The code phrase was "I'll give you $20 for the ride." But the company and the union considered it an offense deserving of termination. So don't be offended if they turn on the meter anyway.

This up-to-date info is current as of 1969.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Vicki--

Checked out Le Meridien. We stayed at Le Meridien but they have moved! The one we stayed out is now something else. It was a block off of Market. The name will come to me...

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:

Miss Vickie, just tip the Driver nicely, give him a Ten and say keep it, and I'm sure there will be no hard feelings. After all, he can get a fare out of Meridien - you haven't exactly asked him to take you to the wrong side of town where you'd bail out, then your friends step in and mug him.

Just because I am still blessed with mobility (I recently had a Stress Test; all of a sudden the technician shuts off the treadmill. I say to her; "hey, I'm just getting warmed up". "You did just fine, Dr. Finley has all he needs to evaluate you"), I try to be respectful of others. Miss Vickie, even though CUS to Miller's is no biggie for me, you know I am respectful on that point, so do I hope same is Dr. Hale. And to Bill H; even though MARTA to Crowne Plaza is only .04mi, I'll be there with buggy to meet Fri AM.

Finally, do I ever need a taxicab? YES. Last June I was walking around downtown Pittsburgh after Dinner and having "had a few" (my Dinner companion, a client, had to get home to make sure his kid was doing his homework) along with my less than perfect night vision, "got lost' (those here familiar with PGH know that is not hard to do). I sensed I was getting away from "core DT" (I was near the Station), so I simply turned around. I then saw a leading hotel (William Penn) and asked a cabby to "take me to Marriott Reniassance". "Sir, it's just down there" "I'm lost" "OK". Well the fare was the flag drop plus maybe one or two "clicks". I gave him a ten and he looked happy - and besides Renaissance is also a leading Downtown hotel and it too has a hack stand.

We both "did OK".

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
GBN--a $10 bill? That won't work in SF. That only covers crossing the GG Bridge with $4 change. I'd stick with a 20. (The cost of living here is amongst the highest in the country. Gas is now $4.37/gallon here).
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do remember the William Penn, GBN. Stayed there a week when I was 'on assignment' in Pittsburgh in the mid 70's. An extremely nice hotel and bet I didn't pay $30 a night. Probably 10x that now. As I recall, later the old P&LE station became a nice restaurant. Is it still there?
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Marriott Courtyard West End (Vanderbilt U) Nashville--

Mr. Smith, the total distance of that taxicab ride was not more than a half mile; he "did OK" off me.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
We had a very pleasant ride yesterday (Saturday, the 14th) SBA-SAN on #774. The crews, especially LAUPT-SAN were very good. Both the Business Class attendant and the conductor went out of their way to make see that everyone was comfortable and had everything they needed.

We spent the night at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. We've stayed here before but would probably look for something else next time. We had a room that hasn't been redone and it was very noisy. The nearby Hampton Inn might be a better choice.

We took the San Diego Trolley home from dinner with friends. We rode the Green Line from the Mission San Diego station and changed trains at old town and got off at the Santa Fe Depot.

OOSTERDAM is waiting for us. We'll take the hotel shuttle over at 1:00PM. My right leg is still bothering me so I'm trying not to overdo it.

Update:

The cruise was a very good one. We found the food to be a bit bland. The average age of the passengers was 72 so we felt like "kids". VERY quiet after the first seating (5:30PM) was over.

We had an easy transfer to the airport in Vancouver and access to the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge which was nice. Flight to SFO was delayed an hour and flight to SBA was delayed 2.5 hours. There had been fog in both SBA and SFO in the morning and that caused rolling delays all day long.

When we arrived at SBA we were surprised to find one of the Presidential 757's here. Vice-President Biden was in town for a fundraiser.

Frank in bright and sunny SBA

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page