RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Early Amtrak Named Trains

Author Topic: Early Amtrak Named Trains
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My factcheck capability is curtailed today, thanks to the internet "strike."

I have a question about the early 70's, and the existence of one or two trains that ran between NY and MO. I distinctly remember taking the "National Limited" between NYP and St. Louis back around 1972-1973, but a friend of mine remembers a similar trip on something called the "Spirit of St. Louis" maybe a couple of years later. Were there two trains, or was there a name change or what? The times he mentioned leaving Newark, NJ and arriving St. Louis were consistent with my times, so I can't figure out what went on here.

Of course, that old PC route is no longer used by Amtrak.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, Spirit of St Louis was a PRR name that was gone by A-Day; Amtrak's name for their NY-KC train was the "National Limited", which pre-Amtrak was a Wash-StL B&O train that "expired" on A-Day. Train names were all conveyed to Amtrak as part of the May 1 1971 Operating Agreement, and Amtrak was free to use them as they chose.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Gil, my friend is probably mistaken about the name of his train in, say, 1975? Is it possible that some Amtrak literature or adverising still used the "Spirit of St. Louis" tag?

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possible; as that name was also conveyed to Amtrak.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course 1975 was also the era of the short-lived American Basketball Association franchise 'Spirits of St. Louis'!

Remember the ABA

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the route of Amtrak's National Limited was essentially that of the Spirit of St. Louis, it could be simply that some of the passengers and maybe even crew referred to it by that name from old habit.

Prime example: In L&N territory the Floridian tended to still be though of as the pre-Amtrak South Wind. In, fact despite the train number in tne Amtrak timetable being different in the L&N employee timetable in the early 70's at least the train still carried the South Wind's train numbers.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1977, we began our honeymoon trip to Arizona by hopping on a cross-country sleeper on the National Limited, that was switched to the Chief in KC.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My "The Trains We Rode" book (Beebe/Clegg) lists a whole bunch of Pennsylvania Railroad trains with national or patriotic names. Among them:

"Spirit of St Louis", 1927-1971, New York-St. Louis
"The Liberty Limited" (1938-1957)
"The Uniform"
"The Congressional Limited" New York-Washington, DC 1885-1960's
"The General", Chicago-New York, 1941-1971
"The Admiral", Chicago-New York, 1941-1971
"The Jeffersonian", New York-Washington, DC-St. Louis
"The American", New York-Washington, DC - St. Louis
"The Senator", Washington, DC to Boston, 1929-1960's
"The Rainbow", Chicago-New York (named after an Army division)

http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz2673801e9cb68.html

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the summer of 1973 Mom and I took the Southwest Li accommodation mited (I think the renaming had happened) back from Kansas City to LA. Our space was a DBR in the ex-PC 10-6 TORONTO ISLANDS (nee Scioto Rapids). The car was the transcontinental car exchanged from the National Limited. The car went hot in the middle of the night, and the next day we were re-spaced to one of the ex-Santa Fe cars in the consist.
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three additional lists that may be of interest for those posting under this thread: Amtrak (thing) @ Everything2.com, Rail routes list at TrainWeb, and "Retired Amtrak routes & names."

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page