RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Anybody see the movie, "Abduction"?

Author Topic: Anybody see the movie, "Abduction"?
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally watched it last night on Pay-Per-View. This movie was talked about several months ago, but now that it's out I have a question: Does anyone know what type of passenger car they are using for the interior shots?

I assumed it would just be a studio that is made to look like a train, however, this does not appear to be the case. They are on single-level equipment, but the sleeping car is definitely not a Viewliner. The best description I can give of the room that they are in is that of a Deluxe Bedroom in a Superliner. It is identical in every way, except the movie people made a few decorative changes. They put wood-like laminate over areas that would normally be blue (or brown carpet, depending upon whether or not the car was a I, II, refurb, or non-refurb). The sink and bathroom area were definitely the new rebuild style, with the larger sink and faux granite counter. When they were walking down the hallway, the room numbers I think were in the 80's (i.e., 81, 82, 83, etc). It was obvious that the studio put their own labels over whatever was there before.

I'm wondering if this was a Heritage sleeper? I've never been on one, so I'm just guessing. Or, perhaps they did the exterior shots of the Amtrak train back east (because that was real), and then they filmed the interior scenes in a Superliner that they rented. The usual blue "AmCurtains" were there, but they added a white pull-down window shade that was pulled down halfway so that the window would not reflect the camera or the crew. It looked like they had opened up the sliding wall between two Deluxe Bedrooms so that they could film from one of them. I'm also fairly certain that the train truly was moving when they filmed the interior shots---it did not look like fake scenery moving by the window.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty, check out this info from another forum:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/41424-abduction-movie-and-amtrak/

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic--thanks! Here is one person's reply:

"Some of the cars used in the movie were owned by Friends of the 261, a group that I work for based in Minneapolis, MN. They own Milwaukee Road 261 steam engine which will be returning for service hopefully here in 2012. I sell some of the railroad books I wrote on there and narrate for passengers in the Super Dome and Cedar Rapids cars. Anyway, for awhile in late August 2010, the cars used in the movie were sitting on a side track at the MSP Amtrak depot and I was able to get some photos."

http://rtabern.shutterfly.com/12463

http://rtabern.shutterfly.com/12464

http://rtabern.shutterfly.com/12464#12466

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what does Mpaulshore have to say about this?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Kisor, do we REALLY need your referenced comment around here? Hasn't the referenced party already "had the floor"?

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/6947.html#000000

Regarding the photos linked by Mr. Smith, amazing how a PRR Coach becomes, at the behest of the producers, either a Diner or Sleeper.

Reporting mark ATAX as noted within one of Mr. Tabern's photos:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=152483

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsList.aspx?id=ATAX

Oh well, whenever the production finds its way to HoBO or Starz, I guess I'll find out what all the fruck-fruck is about. If it doesn't, who cares?

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
And what does Mpaulshore have to say about this?

[Big Grin]
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you guys chased him away, no?
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN, that remark of mine was made with heavy irony. Or high irony (nudge, nudge). Haven't you a sense of humor?

Oh, I hang my head in shame.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode a 'Friends of the 261' trip (behind the 4449) in July 2010 from the Twin Cities to Chicago.

The 'big attraction' for me was not so much the steam locomotive as it was the opportunity to ride the Super Dome down the original CB&Q route - something I had never done south of LaCrosse.

I am thrilled by the job the 'Friends' have done with the Super Dome (it just looks 'right' in Milwaukee livery) but I miss the days when it made weekend roundtrips on the Piedmont between Raleigh and Charlotte as the NCDOT's Business Class accomodation. The first class premium in those days was a mere $8.00 though I regularly 'rode for free' as an NCDOT Train Host. I've done some impromptu narration in that car myself!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mpaulshore
Member # 3785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mpaulshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here I am!
Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page