RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Washington DC - Help?

Author Topic: Washington DC - Help?
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone recommend a restaurant within walking or easy Metro distance of the Grand Hyatt hotel in Washington DC where I could feed two teenagers for a week without taking out a second mortgage?

Any suggestions welcome!

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, try Yelp. Look up the hotel and then click on Restaurants nearby.

We found some good ones near our hotel in DC last year.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool, Vicki. I've never played with Yelp! much but I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of places it showed. Everything from food trucks to places for "robber barons"! And a Five Guys Burger place .3 miles from the hotel.

Frank in dark but soon to be warm (low to mid-70's) SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started using Yelp about six months ago. I have the free app installed on my iPhone, and it works really well. Yelpers post some funny reviews.

On a side note, I received a weird email recently from someone on Yelp (via Yelp's private message system). The person said that they wanted to BUY my Yelp account, and that they would pay me $75. In exchange for the cash, I give them my password and then they have full access to my account, which means I lose it. The only thing I can figure is that a doctor (whom I gave a horrible Yelp review on) hired one of those companies that claims to repair a business' online reputation. My guess is that they would go in and delete my bad review. Other than that, I don't know why else they would want it. I told them to go pound sand, and that I'm keeping my account.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops, just as well I clammed up, Mr. Bowen.

I was all set to say "whatever is in Union Station or maybe The Dubliner on F Street", but that was all based on that you were staying at the Hyatt property on New Jersey Ave.

Turns out that one is a Regency, vice Grand. Oh well, guess I've learned something new; Hyatt has a "pecking order" within their Full-Service brands - well after all, doesn't everyone else?

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I cut through to the chase here?

Walking Distance: Eat First, a Chinese restaurant at 609 H St NW between 6th & 7th (doors are up a few steps), 202-289-1703. Open daily from 11AM. Share an order of Singapore style chow fun (fat) noodles and spicy claypot eggplant & pork. Good dumplings too. Free tea & noodles. CHEAP.
There are other restaurants in DC's small Chinatown (where this is) that are also cheap. . . Noodle Express is even cheaper. . . .

Easy Metro Distance (and a lovely area to walk in) (and you can walk here across the Mall and then down Independence Av, very nice): Market Lunch in the Eastern Market, 7th Street SE between Ave C & North Carolina Av, 202-547-8444. Tu-F 7:30AM-2:30PM, Sa 8-3, Su 11-3, closed Mondays. FANTASTIC crabcake sandwiches. CHEAP. Blueberry pancakes for breakfast. Grits. Sweet tea. Cafeteria style, with a high counter for seats. Get here early as it gets busy (I recommend 11:30); otherwise seats will be gone but there may be other tables you can use in the market. CHEAP Note: Saturdays the Market is much bigger with outdoor stuff. I always go weekdays so I don't know what it's like.

Not too far (but I walk everywhere in DC): Bread Line, 1751 Pennsylvania NW btw 17th & 18th, nr G & H St too, 202-822-8900. M-F only I believe, 7:30AM-7PM, check hours. Among the best bakeries in DC; also real lemonade, homemade ketchup, special hot dogs, Italian sausage sandwich, cubano, BBQ on ciabatta, etc. Not quite as cheap but not bad. Though seats upstairs, outdoors in good weather, still gets very busy.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner--

I may have to plan a DC trip soon just to eat! Thanks for all of the suggestions.

All--

Is there a way on this board to print out a single post? (Like Sojourner's?) Or do I need to cut and paste and then print?

Frank in sunny and warm (mid-70's) SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just select the content I want to print, select print from my browser and from the printer's menu I chose "print selection".

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Vicki--

For whatever reason that wouldn't work for me so I just cut the material and pasted it into a word processing doc and printed it. Thanks, again, Sojourner!

Frank in still warm SBA

ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to everyone for your responses and suggestions. It now looks like the trip is still going to happen, but the 17 year old can't make it—he's trying out for a part in an afterschool production of 7 Brides for 7 Brothers and the performance is scheduled for the weekend we'll be there. Instead, I'll be taking his 9 year old sister along with the 13 year old. Itinerary is HOS-BUS-LVW -2220/E(21)-CHI-3000/E(22)-WAS; when the conference is over I will be taking the kids to BWI to fly them back to join their family for a camping retreat then returning via WAS-1910/1(28)-NOL-(Fairchild House B&B)-NOL-1(29[According to Mr. Norman-actually the 30th])-HOS. It will be my first trip in a Viewliner, although I rode the route in a Slumbercoach once upon a time in my Navy days. I'm looking forward to the trip!

ETA - Month is May (Memorial Day Weekend), for anyone interested.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page