RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » NOL Hotel

Author Topic: NOL Hotel
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm considering a quick trip to New Orleans next month and know that several of you on here have hotels you like in the Crescent City. Suggestions? Ideally something near the Amtrak Station and the WWII Museum. Also open to good, moderately priced places to eat.

Thanks in advance.

Frank in cool and clear SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be staying at the Fairchild House B&B in the Garden district during an overnight Crescent-Sunset layover returning home from Washington in late May. I've stayed there once before and was quite pleased with it. It is two blocks from the St. Charles Streetcar line; less than a mile from the Amtrak station and a ten minute walk from the World War II museum. Rates are reasonable, the continental breakfast is good (although I might still choose to hop the streetcar to the Camellia Grill on Carrollton Ave.), and the hosts are hospitable.

Two places not to miss in New Orleans: The aforementioned Camellia Grill for breakfast (if you can eat one of their omelets in its entirety, you have earned a medal) and Cafe Maspero on Decatur Street (French Quarter) for similarly huge portions of fried seafood.

ETA: I also highly recommend the Gray Line's "Paddle & Wheel" tour, which leaves from their terminal at the foot of Toulouse Street. This is a very informative two hour bus tour which gives you a good general overview of the city, followed by a two hour river cruise on the steamboat Natchez. Don't miss the tour of the engine room! The two halves of the tour can be taken in any order and on different days if you desire. The Natchez also hosts jazz dinner cruises which sound wonderful.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've stayed at the Holiday Inn-Downtown on Loyola St. before, which is only a few blocks from NOUPT; however, the last time I was there was before Katrina, so I don't really know the status of it now. It had a very interesting parking garage, which was painted with continuous wall murals which made it look like a fancy "jazz club district." (and had piped in New Orleans jazz music!)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, while New Orleans is hardly a "destination of choice' with me, the Stephen Ambrose WWII Museum is one, and if you are to ask me THE one, attraction in town worthy of one's time.

I visited the Museum Feb 2002 during a ORL-1-NOL-58-CHI layover. On a like itinerary during Feb 2004, I didn't even step outside of NOUPT.

But simply because the place is a "zero" to me, should not dissuade you.

So far as hotels, within the scope of those acceptable to me, there is a Marriott near NOUPT; also if "rooms with a view' are of interest, a Hyatt (badly damaged during Kat, but I would presume restored to service by now) has such of the "action" at NOUPT.

Both French Quarter and WWII Museum are a walk from NOUPT.

Finally, a report from friends who are "old New Orleans hands". They report from a recent visit, the place has become "Disneyfied'. They can recall going down there say thirty years ago, and musicians would, quite impromptu, gather on a street corner and start performing. They think that all too much is done now by a 'script', but it should be noted that is simply a second hand report from one who has not been near the place since 2004, and cannot foresee any reason to go near it again.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Orleans is one of our favorite cities and it is touristy but definitely not Disneyfied, much too gritty for that. Truly a unique city where a guided 2 hr. walking tour of the French Quarter and/or Garden District is well worth it to give you an idea of its history (French/Spanish/French/US) and culture. For getting around, the $3 all day pass on streetcars can't be beat. There is a new NP Jazz Museum and of course Preservation Hall are worth a visit. While we haven't done it, a visit to Oak Alley Plantation is supposed to be excellent.

Bourbon St. deserves one quick stroll without stopping. But the rest of the French Quarter needs to be taken as slowly as possible. The antique stores on Royal St. are great - some museum quality stuff in a few. Good restaurants are everywhere. Moderately priced favorites are the Gumbo shop and Stanley!-for po'boys and Irene's for italian dinner. K-Paul's is nice for a good dinner. Our favorite though is Commander's Palace in the Garden District. It was too pricey for dinner but a perfect long lunch spot. You do have to dress up a bit and it was mostly a non-touristy crowd there. The food and service were outstanding. A short stroll to the St. Charles streetcar will get you there. Court of the Two Sisters is very touristy but justly famous for its brunches.

As for hotels, most visits, if in the off season, we like Omni's Royal Orleans right in the heart of the French Quarter. At the other extreme is the Place d'Armes with an even better location - next to St. Louis cathedral and a block from Cafe du Monde and the waterfront. But, if you're fastidious, may not be for you. New Orleans has so many interesting historic hotels with inviting courtyards that are a lot more interesting than the cookie cutter places.

Hope you're not going in the summer (or Mardi Gras) but should be great any other time. Hard to believe it's been 43 years since our first visit during a brief stop on our honeymoon.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You folks are just great! I've come, over the time that I've been posting here, to rely on you as a great source of suggestions and advice on just about any destination.

We've eaten at the Gumbo Shop (Is there more than one location?) and enjoyed it for a nice lunch. We also did a cooking class that included lunch one day. I'm going to have to do some research to see if they are still in business. The day we were there they put the Bourbon Bread Pudding in at the start of class and the aroma made it VERY difficult to concentrate!

Frank in still warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page