RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » what do you think of the new Amtrak Guest rewards point-buy deal

Author Topic: what do you think of the new Amtrak Guest rewards point-buy deal
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it worth it? e.g., $275 buys 13,000 (instead of 10,000) points
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner, it is simply a case of "do the math'.

Is there a trip that you wish to take within the immediate future and that 13,000 points represents the most economical way to obtain what you want (I understand Sleeper space is a relative bargain when purchased by a point redemption)? If purchasing those points represents an upgrade in your "status' (I presume the program has various precious metal standings like anyone else's does) will the tangibles such as more points per trip make your $275 "buy in" worth it.

While some I've known in this life (i.e. a client who went out to Iowa to buy a new Chevy crew cab pickup "because all the dealers around here have are ones loaded out like they were a Caddy") may discount such, if you get some "perks" like priority boarding, Lounge passes even if riding Coach, whatever, those all have value in the same sense as a day at the spa does. Only you can place a price tag on that. I must confess, it was a "two minute high" to "go to the head of the class' at the Miami Biscayne Bay Marriott to check in last month with my "Silver Elite" standing (which BTW, I'm about to lose).

All told at this moment I have 13,526 Amtrak points. Be it assured "I lose no sleep" over them, as I'm "not exactly" in the "point chasing" business.

The only reward plans I seem "to get anything out of" are Holiday Inn and Marriott; seems like every year, I'll get a free stay from one or the other. I had some airline points with Capital One Venture, but last year I donated them to the Red Cross - and got a $60 tax deduction for them.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a 'good buy' and they offered this special last year.

A 'better buy' might be offered later.

For instance, last fall they offered a special where the $275 bought 10,000 plus 5,000 bonus points. A 'better buy'.

The catch is that, in the past anyway, one can only purchase 10,000 points in a calendar year. Someone who buys the 10,000 now for 3,000 bonus points would not be eligible for a 'better buy' which may or may not be offered before the end of 2012.

Personally, I'm on the fence about this one. I could get more than $275.00 value out of 13,000 points applying them towards my next overnight trip.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My problem is I don't know how to figure the value of 13,000 points because roomettes are 15,000, not 13,000. When they were offering 15,000, I could see the saving more clearly.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner:

Take the price of the roomette trip that you want to compare against, divide by 15, then multiply by 13. (Or multiply by 0.8666667.) If the final number is higher than the current cost for 13000 points ($275), then the points are a "good deal".

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks Mr Bowen. If I use the base price, it comes out to about the same $275. Of course, the points allow purchase at a later time, like David P just did, when prices are higher. So I still cannot decide!
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I currently have 17500 points. For $275, I can upgrade to a room from Houston to Seattle. Not bad!

I wonder if it will be available when I need it in Dec 2012, for a June 2013 trip to Seattle?

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
I don't understand what you mean, Mike. You can buy the points now--it's not something you do when you are booking a trip but something you do to accrue points to use any time.
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... I may not need to buy 13,000 points in December. I may only need 7,000 to get my deluxe room to Seattle.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page