RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Interesting Video

Author Topic: Interesting Video
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this at another site, and I offer it with no comment. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL0J2tfEdAM

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mike -- good video!! Thanks a lot for sharing. I assume the 3 women singing are actually 3 different images of the same woman, right? Great photo-shopping!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard the song in the past; but what I think astounds me is that the video producer was unwilling to locate archival footage of one of the most documented railroads of all time. If the producer chooses to "photoshop' a trio ostensibly performing the work, that is his prerogative. But to "foist" off on uninformed lay people photos of the ATSF at Pasadena, overseas trains, and even Amtrak equipment - all "doctored" with one of the classiest railroad insigniae of all times, is an abuse of artistic license.

However, this is a nice song, aptly performed by jazz-singer Marylin Harris and much in the same genre' as is "Route 66". I guess my "gripe' is that the lyricist made good effort at authenticity, yet the video producer clearly deviated from such.

Just those two copper things in my pocket doing the talking.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree, Gil; the video was so strange that I couldn't figure out how to comment on it. Thought you might get a kick out of the billing given the Nutmeg State.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adding the railroad's name and herald to so many images certainly required a fair degree of goofy, obsessive-compulsive dedication on the part of the producer.

Sure, artistic/historical liberties were taken. Obviously, it's a very low budget production -- a tongue-in-cheek visualization of tongue-in-cheek lyrics, not a documentary on railroad history. For 99.9% of the intended audience, a train is simply a train.

It's likely that the creator simply chose from among the most interesting, highest resolution images that he/she had available. Whether he/she obtained permission to include them is another story but, hey, you learn to use what you've got.

It all adds to the video's weird, nerdy charm.

---------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved it!

Frank in sunny and warming SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meet the artist:

http://www.marilynharris.com/biography5.html

I personally think Ms. Harris is not only a talented performer, but also talented as a composer and lyricist; can't say same of the earlier linked video's producer.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terrific vocalist - thanks for posting.

From a chilly East Anglia.

Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page