RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railroading in the 1950's

Author Topic: Railroading in the 1950's
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out this and other classic videos of riding the rails during the '50's. The dialog and the smoking crack me up.

The Santa Fe's Super Chief

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe--

Great link! Thanks for posting it. The smoking is appalling to us now but that is how it was.

I loved the pronunciation of Los Angeles. That was the common one used by lots of people in that ear.

Frank in clear, dry and blustery SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was terrific. Wish I could have traveled on that Chief. But I do like our Chief too.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make that "era". [Smile]

I also clicked on the Zephyr movie. Wonderful!

Frank in wet again SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the post, Joe. I wish I had the chance to take the Super Chief in the 1950s. Might have been asphyxiated from all the smoke, however. Love that travelog music...makes me want to get up and dance around the room.

I also liked the video on the California Zephyr.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love those matched A-B-B-A sets of F7s.

It was amusing that the audio translation into closed captions rendered the name of the train the "Super Cheap."

I wondered about that guy at the full-sized upright typewriter. Did he tote it aboard or did the Chief supply it?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some propaganda from my road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQupCrYLLbk&feature=related

And here's how it all ended up:

For my road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAQVh2mtSdw

And, for the newsanchor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZLVSPDe9_I&feature=related

Oh and finally, the MILW "Ticket Agent" doing his
"later in life" gig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHRBGtM1iI

GBN

"bumper to bumper" on the Super, June 1962

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite her personal agony, Jessica Savitch was a remarkably intelligent and savvy journalist, far from the stereotype (even today) of the pretty airhead newsreader. My newspaper assigned me to interview her when her memoir (which avoided her messy personal life, which wasn't known at the time) was published, and her thoughtfulness and knowledge were surprising. She simply seemed to be nice folks.

I liked Fahey Flynn, even though he was more of an on-air personality rather than a professional journalist, possibly because he was relatively easy to lipread.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the Super Chief in the "60's" and can attest to its excellence in comfort and fine dining. The Fred Harvey Company, so well known in the Chicago area, was in charge of the menu's and all associated with the dining experience. Their French Toast for breakfast was superior!!!

Yes, the typewriter was part of the service that Santa Fe provided on this train. The personel on board were selected for their personality and previously exhibited diligence in serving the passengers, not by seniority.

The Santa Fe Super Chief was an item of pride that was felt by all employees from the depots to the track workers. I rode the AOE in 2002 and while similar it did not match the Super Chief.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presumably though passenger rail was already in serious decline by this time?
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was indeed Mr. Williams; and from the Korean War onward. With hindsight, the decision by the roads to acquire the fleet of post-WWII passenger cars they did has got to go down as a business decision with Classic Coke and the Edsel.

Roads that had made the "plunge" into new equipment disproportionate to their Passenger Revenue of course were putting out "optimistic" propaganda through the 50's and even into the '60's. After all, we have to justify the blunder decision we made.

But no question, the train riding community, of which I was far more a member then than I am today, benefitted from the still exemplary services available until, say, about 1965. During Summer 1966, there was a month long airline strike and a fair amount of business returned to the rails - even if that business was by default (as distinct from today where over here the public is choosing to ride trains again). When that strike ended, that business evap[orated as quickly as it came. During 1967, the U S Post Office announced they would no longer use (or use very much) rail as a means to move mail. From that point onward, it became "every man for himself' to get trains off.

But Santa Fe was the one "class act" out there - right to The End.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman:

I enjoyed the video on the Milwaukee Road Olympian Hiawatha. Interesting video with some unintentional humor. When they went through the Superdome car, I think the guy on the right (2:20) was either asleep or in the process of falling asleep. I counted only one guy lighting up a cigarette.

It's too bad there isn't a train, anymore, going along the old NP route. I guess Amtrak's North Coast Hiawatha is dead and gone. I wonder if the private rail excursion, "Montana Rockies Rail Tours" along the Montan Rail Link, will ever make a comeback.

That old NP route is sure scenic..especially the Three Forks area of Montana and the Bitterroot Mountains.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
MILW Superdomes were not much in the way of forward vision; and for that matter, neither were Budd's (AMTK 10031).

But what I consider a blatant abuse was a photo that appeared in TRAINS some fifty years ago; the photo showed a guy sitting in the most forward seat of a Budd "short" Dome on the CZ - reading a PAPER.

Budd "short" Domes were "the best out there" for viewing.

Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After starting this forum, I got to thinking about my Navy days at Great Lakes back in 1966. I remember seeing the "El Capitan" logo on the front of engines and wondering where that train was headed. Can't seem to find any vintage films.

How about some of you real rail roaders, any real life info on the "El Capitan".

Thanks,

Joe

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
"El Capitan" only went CHI-LA; that was as close it got to its namesake in Yosemite.

This was first an all-Coach that ran as an "Advance Super", but by 1958, the two trains were combined with strict segregation between the two classes of service.

For my 1962 "bumper to bumper" ride on the Super, the trains were separate, but that was because for Friday departures from LA, one or two extra Sleepers were added, as there was still an LA-NY crowd to accommodate that would rather spend a weekend aboard trains than fly.

Thunderbush
Member # 30533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thunderbush     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent video's! Gilbert Sir I love them Milwaukee video's! I always liked the humor they would use. Like the guys on the mine car. Ok move ahead more room up front. Just makes you laugh a little.
I just wish we had some pride like that where we could see washed units. But wait that would cost the shareholders lol. Ahhh the good old days.

--------------------
Modern day boomer
BNSF,IC&E to the CN/J
I MOVE freight!

Posts: 6 | From: Chi town | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. GBN the "El Capitan" name is from the SW USA Spanish theme. Santa Fe named several sites and this train using the SW theme.

The El Tovar at the Grand Canyon, the Alvarado in Albuquerque, the Castenada in Las Vegas, NM and the La Posada at Winslow are examples.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember...

Breakfast in the dome, on the City of Saint Louis bringing Mom and I home from Grandma and Grandpa's in 1967...

The roll of the roof just inside the dome on the lead end, in a 9000 series dome lounge, both in 1963 and 1967...

The flat-top lounge we had for some reason, EB in 1967...

Our open section, and I had the upper berth with berth windows, and that bed is both wider and more comfortable than anything Amtrak has come out with! (Travel and Sleep in Pullman Safety and Comfort)

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page