RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Bad News for Mr. Canaveral - CZ Detour

Author Topic: Bad News for Mr. Canaveral - CZ Detour
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a recent post "Canaveral" detailed his planned rail/cruise/bus/air trip around the Amtrak system and on to Alaska. The bad news for him is that his return on # 6 the California Zephyr will resemble the old SFZ as it bypasses the scenic ex-Rio Grande line in favor of the UP via Wyoming due to trackwork. I'm sure he will enjoy the ride but the beautiful Rockies are a tough loss.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ride through Wyoming and over Sherman Hill is interesting and, as a rail travel enthusiast, one that I am happy to have had the opportunity to have ridden. Missing the ride 'through the Rockies' is partially made up for by getting the equally (if not moreso) ride over Donnor Pass.

Still, if it were the trip of a lifetime and a 'one chance' trip, I would prefer to ride the D&RGW route.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Not the end of the world" AFAIC:

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/5902.html

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take the Zephyr's normal route through the Rockies any day over the Wyoming detour route. Like GBN's "pine tree" analogy, the same applies to the detour route except you can replace pine tree with open fields and dirt.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up taking UP 9-10, the City of St Louis, to Grandma and Grandpa's house in Abilene, KS.

I've taken the CZ as well [Smile]

I'll smile at Echo Canyon, and if you don't think the run out of Laramie isn't epic, I have something to show you.

I'll also smile at Dotsero!

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canaveral
Member # 15138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for canaveral         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wyoming is mostly a high, barren plateau. Its main scenery is in the NW corner (Yellowstone and Tetons) and NE corner (Devils Tower). The trade-off is canyons, Moffatt Tunnel, and the Front Range descent for a parade of freights. At least I've ridden the Colorado route several times already, but still...
Posts: 17 | From: central Florida | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately the UP line goes nowhere near Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, or Devils Tower. About the best scenery is tiny Echo Canyon near the Utah-Wyoming border and I think you'll pass that at night.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page