TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » easily accessible lodging from NYP

Author Topic: easily accessible lodging from NYP
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Embarking on my first overnight trip soon. I've never been in a sleeper car and can't wait. Two questions:
1) Can anyone recommend lodging that's easily accessible and not terribly expensive? (We have to be back on the train by 7:45 AM the next morning.) I don't know if it would be worth the savings to take a commuter train out from NYP in order to find lodging at better prices. Or would that save anything??
2) I got a very short, very small power strip to take. It has a regular 3 prong plug on the end, however. In other words, the cord does not come out at a 90 degree angle from the prongs. Will that work in the roomette or do I have to have a "flatter head" on the plug part of the power strip?

--------------------
Train Granny

http://www.traingranny.com
http://www.facebook.com/traingranny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs. Hale, the most convenient hotel to Penn Station is the Hotel Pennsylvania - and I doubt if the rates, at least by New York standards, will be a knockout punch. However, pay heed to to the Trip Advisor reviews.

I'd be looking for somewhere else, but "that's me".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I've never stayed there, but I've heard good things about the Radio City Apartments near Times Square.

2. You will want to have a standard plug on your power strip, not one of those flat plugs where the cord exits at a 90 degree angle. The roomette power outlet is semi-recessed and a flat plug may not give enough clearance.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try the Herald Square hotel a short walk, nice place with interior room so it is one of the
quietess places in all of New York City.

New York
New York City: Herald Square 800-727-1888

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the Herald Square Hotel which I used at Chris's recommendation. I got the room with the renovated bathroom which cost a little more than some rooms.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Affinia Manhattan is right across the street from Penn Station. Prices can vary from reasonable for NY to expensive. There is also a Hampton Inn nearby, maybe 3 blocks from the station.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page