TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Hearing Train Whistles

Author Topic: Hearing Train Whistles
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first trip as TrainGranny is just NINE days from today! Last night, I heard a train whistle and strange things happened!

http://www.traingranny.com

--------------------
Train Granny

http://www.facebook.com/traingranny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking forward to hearing about your first trip. Savannah - New York on #98, correct?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We appreciate the posts and look forward to hearing about the trip(s).
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! First trip is Savannah to NYP! (I have learned that's New York Penn!!!) Proud of myself. Going on the Silver Meteor. Don't know if that's #98. . . I haven't learned those numbers yet! But, I will!

--------------------
Train Granny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs. Hale, reviewing a quote from your blog site:

quote:
I said to the dog, “Dog, do you know how excited I am? I am going on a BIG train trip in just TEN DAYS! I’m going to be squeezed into a phone booth-sized space with another large person for three days! And, I’m looking FORWARD to it!!
First, is your Daughter's dog actually named "Dog", if so, that's not the first, as a fellow I know here in town (another single guy who lives on his own as do I) has a very loving Husky simply named "Dog" (reminds me of "Breakfast at Tiffany's" in which Holly Golightly's ((Audrey Hepburn)) only real friend was a cat simply named "Cat").

But more to the point, I am concerned about the reference you have made to your size, and apparently that of Mr. Hale as well. At first, I had no reason to be concerned because you reported you were using Sleeper, so therefore it was not necessary to address the perils of using overnight Coach. I further was led to believe that these trips were to be a solo venture of yours, therefore it did not matter what Sleeping accommodation you had booked. Now I learn that Mr. Hale is accompanying you on many, if not all, of these planned journeys, and I personally think a Roomette is not suited for two older adults, especially of the "full sized" varietal.

Amtrak wisely placed two beds in each Roomette, but that simply does not make it a two person accommodation. A Roomette is fine for a single adult, an adult traveling with a small child, two adolescents whose family has a Bedroom elsewhere on the train, or two young adults such as in, say, "post-college, pre-life' phase, who have been carefully briefed by the selling agent (Amtrak or a travel agency such as Guest Rewards) that this space is intended for one person and that double occupancy of such will be what at best can be described as "indoor camping".

I'd ask you consider that on the planned journeys that Mr. will be accompanying, you consider either a Bedroom or separate Roomettes. Will this cost you more? of course it will - in fact "heap big wampum" more. But you and Mr. are not doing these discretionary journeys "on the cheap", and what I think counts is your enjoyment of same.

As of a few moments ago, Bedrooms are available SAV-NYP on 98(10).

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Mr. Norman,

You crack me up! It was my original intent to do all these trips by myself. I added my husband to one trip and my sister to another after having booked a roomette. (If you remember from reading a previous blog, my hubby had his feelings hurt and wanted to be included!) But, we all like camping, so we'll be fine. I'm sure there will be some humor in my blog posts as these journeys progress, but that's part of the fun, too! At least I will have had the experience of trying to cram two "good-sized" adults into a roomette. (And besides, I don't have "heap big wampum" more money. I used AmSnag to get the best rates possible on the roomettes!

The dog's name is not Dog. But, that's what I call it, especially when I'm engaging in conversation with it! [Smile] Yes. . . I'm a crazy old lady, but I like having fun.

When are you going to write a "How I Became a Train Lover" article for me?

--------------------
Train Granny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Train Granny:
At least I will have had the experience of trying to cram two "good-sized" adults into a roomette. [/QB]

With all due respect to Mr. Norman, I suspect that upgrading to a larger room is beyond the budget of most passengers who travel in a roomette. Including yours truly.

Although the quarters are indeed cozy, you and your husband will be fine. I like to think of a roomette as the railroad's version of those crazily overpopulated "clown cars" at the circus. It's amazing how much sheer physical heft (and luggage) some passengers manage to squeeze into such a tiny space.

And remember: if you need to take a break from all that "togetherness," you don't have to remain cooped up in your roomette. Go sit by yourself for awhile in an empty roomette down the hall, in the lounge car, or even in the coaches.

Just carry your ticket stub with you, in case the conductor or car attendant asks to see it.

--------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a septuagenarian and my wife will become one soon. We are not particularly skinny people. But we have traveled almost exclusively in roomettes for years. They have been fine for us.

But last week we took AGR points bedrooms both ways. Why not? The points were burning holes in our pockets.

When we returned, we looked at each other and said almost simultaneously, "No more roomettes. Only bedrooms."

Being able to turn around and get dressed, being able to do the necessaries in the middle of the night without squeezing on one's shoes and stumbling out into the corridor, being able to have a quick shower without waiting for Roscoe in the next roomette to finish up . . . that's heaven.

GBN, move over. I'm on your side now.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

I hope to try the bedroom soon! But, that much additional money spent on a bedroom would mean postponing one of my other trips, which, at this point, I'm not willing to do. I love the debate, though! Thanks, everyone!

--------------------
Train Granny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shop for a good full bedroom price in the off-season. I once happened to see one under $150 (years ago) from St. Paul to Portland in January. I spontaneously hopped in just for the experience and took coach back. The sleeper was almost empty. I suppose no one wants to go to northern Montana in January.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Does anyone know if you can ever snag a reduced price bedroom or roomette once you get on board? (assuming there are empty ones) ?? If so, how much can be saved that way?

--------------------
Train Granny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, on-board Sleeping Car sales are coordinated through the Conductor. Conductors are given some pricing "lattitude', but I would be highly suspicious if the discount were "too deep'. I'd be very suspicious if you were confronted with "cash please" and not tendered a receipt.

Conductors have cellphones, through which they will coordinate with Res to ensure there has not been a "down line" sale of the space, and that once sold to a passenger, it is properly blocked in the system.

I have never done an on-board sale as I simply do not wish to be confronted with surprises when traveling (there are enough as is anyway). Likewise, I have never traveled without advance hotel reservations and have never used any kind of "auction' site like Priceline, as Mr. Dilly notes he has (and several of your Trainorders respondents as well). I'll just pay what I must or stay at home.

At this time in life, travel is just one of those things you have to do to "keep friends friends and family family".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page