RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New "Zephyr" now out for Kindles . . . and Nook

Author Topic: New "Zephyr" now out for Kindles . . . and Nook
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's here.

I'm still tweaking the cover. It might change overnight. Or not.

Barnes & Noble is still digesting it for the Nook. Ought to be online by tonight or tomorrow morning.

Many thanks to all here who helped over the last months.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry--What if I don't have a kindle? Is there a way to read it on an iPad?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kindle apps are available for iPads and PCs from Amazon.com. (The app is free)

p.s. I've had the paperback for over 10 years, and now have the new Kindle edition on my PC.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Chris--didn't know that. I will download the app now, and then the e-book.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't need a Kindle, since you can download a ebook reader program and have it on your desktop or laptop. A good download is mobireadersetup.msi. And the pictures are sensational.

I will add that meeting Henry and Debby in Glenwood Springs was was of the most delightful experiences -- ever.

Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The book is now out for the Nook.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just written a small review for Amazon.co.uk
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any chance the revised edition will be offered in 'pay as you go' paperback?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Pay on demand paperback? Maybe in the distant future, but what I'm hearing from fellow authors is that sales of POD books rarely recoup the costs of setting them up. Looks like e-books are taking over.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes - 'Pay on Demand' - that's the term I was trying to recall. I'm still of the generation where when I finish a book which I am likely to refer to again and again, I like to put it on my bookcase and keep it...... sort of like a trophy.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't wait to purchase the book, Henry. I will definitely take it on the Zephyr with me in August. What about an autographed hard copy? Are those available? [Smile]

--------------------
Train Granny

http://www.traingranny.com
http://www.facebook.com/traingranny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Sadly, the only hardcopies available are the original 1994 books, which can be had on Internet used book emporiums.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Krochs & Brentano's, Walden, Borders....can College Outline Series (and their single outlet on 14th St in NY) be far behind???

The smell of cut paper, the 'scholarly looking" sales staff, the chance to "take a peek" before buying (never mind those plopped in the easy chairs that have no intention of doing so)....this is an endangered species.

I just may have to go out and buy one of those G%^ D@##ed electronic playthings, which when some young girl at B&N was trying to demonstrate their varietal, couldn't even get it to work. Sorry honey, cute little smiles, are "not exactly' delivering the product.

Oh well guess what, I actually received a cell phone call yesterday while driving to Gurnee. My Lunch appointment called to tell me he was already at Olive Garden when he earlier thought he was going to be late (I couldn't have been too available if he made like his three college age kids and texted me). The hands-free device in my auto is nice to have.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

I will admit that as a book review editor I was upset in the beginning by the onslaught of ebooks and the decline of treebooks. But then I came to realize that it's really the content, not the container, that counts. So I made my peace with the change.

One of the most important advantages to ebooks is that they are far less expensive to produce and distribute than treebooks are. Hence the prices can be much lower. If I had produced "Zephyr II" as a print-on-demand paperback, I'd have to ask the standard $12.95 to $14.95 trade paperback price if I hoped to recoup the costs.

Also, from the author's viewpoint it's much easier to produce new "printings" when errors are caught. Naturally I depend on the habitues of this forum to let me know about those.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page