RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak System Timetable

Author Topic: Amtrak System Timetable
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the May 7th changes in the Sunset Limited schedule and timetable, I am interested in getting a new copy of a "Amtrak System Timetable" booklet. Not the download version, but the actual hard copy.

Before, you could go to the Amtrak web site and click on "News and Media" at the bottom of the page. Then find the "Browse Topics" section and locate the spot where one could request Amtrak to send you a system timetable via regular mail.

At the present Amtrak site, I can't figure out how to make the request. The above procedure did not work, this time around.

I like a hard copy of the timetable for quick, non-computer reference. I also like the fold-out system map at the front of the booklet. I sure hope Amtrak hasn't decided to delete this service.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fallback position: call 1-800-USARAIL and ask for one over the phone. I do it all the time.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Richard -

I had a little time and went poking around the Amtrak website. I did a search for 'Request Publications' and several clicks later - and I can't remember exactly what I clicked on - I turned up this page

Link for requesting Amtrak Timetable

I'm about to try it myself - we'll see if it works like it used to!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok..I was thinking of calling Amtrak, Mike, if Julie gives me the option of ordering a booklet..

David -- thanks for the link. I wanted to try to figure out how to order the timetable booklet, on my own, from the general Amtrak site. If you go to the Amtrak home page you will see the orange tab labeled "PLAN". When I tried it, if I held the mouse cursor over the orange "PLAN" tab, I got a drop-down box. One of the selections, in the drop-down box, is "Planning and Booking". I clicked on that. The second entry, from the bottom, is "Order and Conctact Amtrak Publications". If you click on that, you get the listing where you can order a hard copy of the timetable.

However, if you do not hold the cursor over the oragne 'PLAN' tab, but simply click the tab, you get a list titled "Order and Contact Amtrak Publications". However, I could not find the listing for ordering the timetable! Maybe I'm hunting with the wrong dog.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The path from Amtrak Com Home Page is Plan/Planning & Booking/Order & Contact Amtrak Publications.

Always worked for me, but I'm going to wait until after May 7, lest they send me the current, i.e. about to expire, System Timetable.

Handling time has been for me 10-14 days, but I live in their "comparative backyard" of Itasca, IL (only ons MSC - Mail Sorting Center - involved).

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realized after clicking send that I may receive the 'about to expire' timetable.

We'll see.

If so, I'll revisit the link and order again.

Worst case - I may attend a National Train Day event in either Charlotte or Greensboro and scoop up some new publications at that time.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I think I will wait until mid May, before ordering, and hope that Amtrak will have a timetable with the changes in the Sunset Limited.

I guess it would be the height of naivete to think that Amtrak would come up with a simple tab, on their home page, that says "Available Publications for Ordering".

Richard

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No doubt it would be much better to have a user-friendly website set up. Failing that, I called Julie, asked for a rep, and ordered the "new" timetable through a human being.

I'll probably get the current one with a bunch of brochures, in which case, I'll call again in two weeks!

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to get the new ones in person. Good excuse for a visit to my friendly ticket agent in Florence - at about train time for the Palmetto, of course. He usually has some Amtrak news too.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently the new timetabale won't be in effect until May 7 -- typically the new timetables take effect with the time change from standard to daylight or daylight to standard time. I went to the WPK station last weekend, and was told that the new tt's would not be out until "next week." I'll check again this weekend.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
With the effective date of the time change having been played around with over the last two or three years, I've observed that the new Amtrak timetable is now less likely to correspond with the time change.... particularly in the spring.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:

I'll probably get the current one with a bunch of brochures, in which case, I'll call again in two weeks!

Just arrived in the mail today and, what do you know, it's the NEW one (effective 5/7). New Sunset Limited schedule is in there, and they no longer bother showing the stations east of NOLA, although they have a note about the service being suspended with the same dotted line on the system map.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
What Mike said!!!!!

I was just logging in to note that I had recived the May 7th timetable in the mail today as well.

--------------------
David Pressley

Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just ordered mine today. Glad to hear of the quick turn around!

I also requested the Empire Builder Magazine as I will be on it in a couple of weeks. What's that magazine all about, sans the obvious?

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page