RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Dome Ride Over Raton Pass

Author Topic: Dome Ride Over Raton Pass
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were in the area, this is something I would sign on for in a heartbeat. Be a great chance to get a nice daytrip and rack up some more AGR points using my credit card!

Dome Ride Over Raton Pass

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Been there done that" during 1962 in the "Pleasure Dome" on an EB "Super"; quite an experience.

Unfortunately, the "long" domes, be they Great, Big, or Super, do not provide much in the way of forward viewing (since I know you have been on a Super, you should readily concur). If the view is the sole reason to consider this trip, then essentially the same experience can be had from an Amtrak #330XX Sightseer. If otherwise, such as the fellowship of other railfans, then "go for it".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes - I concede that the Budd half-dome cars offered far superior forward vision but in this case I imagine that the forward vision is going to be obscured regardless by being tacked on to the end of #3.

And yes..... I've ridden these long domes regardless of nomenclature a few times.... A couple of times each at the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad and Royal Gorge Scenic Railroad, another Iowa Pacific owned car on a Salisbury, NC - Roanoke, VA excursion last fall as well as the Milwaukee Dome in service on the NCDOT Piedmont and on that 4449 hauled Minneapolis - Chicago excursion a couple or three years ago.

My interest here would be the opportunity to ride with other railfans and the onboard meal service. These Iowa Pacific held domes are all late of Alaska Cruise Train service and have intimate, club-like dining areas under the dome. THAT would be something unique in this case.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere I have some Super 8 movie film of my trip to my 1969 wedding in Arizona via the Super Chief - all Pullman 1st section. This inspires me to get it transferred to a DVD (my projector died long ago). I don't believe I had any film from the dome (although we certainly enjoyed cocktails there). But I know there is footage of the semaphores dropping as the as the classic Santa Fe warbonnet engines passed the signal.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page