RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » She's Back - under new ownership

Author Topic: She's Back - under new ownership
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just learned that the upscale riverboat 'American Queen' is back in service after a 3-year hiatus for cruises on the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers.

I was browsing the on-line Louisville Courier-Journal and spotted photos of the refurbished 'American Queen' racing the daytrip steamer 'Belle of Louisville' in a Derby Week event.

American Riverboat Cruising .

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's more on the American Queen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Queen

What this topic has to do with railroad transportation, I know not; but around here "who cares".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I care, I care! That Wikipedia article says the Queen will call at the following ports: New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Louis and Memphis. That means we can take the train there to catch the boat! Yay!
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, allow me to make an apparently necessary clarification to my "who cares" reference. My intent was simply to convey that no one in the administration ranks of this site is too worried whether or not a topic is directly passenger rail related or not.

So with that having been said, there are of course overlapping interests between rail and inland waterway transportation. In fact, I met just such a lady from Gutenberg IA during my 2010 "joyride". This "fiftysomething" lady, still in the workforce, was traveling on the City to NO, from where she was taking a chartered bus to Mobile. There she was going to board a small cruise vessel and was going to travel up the Alabama and Tombigbee to the Tennessee to the Ohio, to Old Man River, thence the Illinois to Chicago. She resides in Guttenberg IA - on the Miss.

A 3.7KGRT "steamboat", I guess it the "ultimate' for inland waterway transport. even if it is simply a Diesel powered replica.

Oh and finally, many an inland towboat (pushboat) has a Diesel electric locomotive propulsion system.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good info, David. A trip on a steamboat is on our bucket list. A trip from NOL and then down the Cumberland to Nashville would be the ultimate. Too bad the Delta Queen was considered no longer 'safe'. So what if it's all wood. I wouldn't mind going out in a blaze of glory on that landmark vessel.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, GBN -- apparently the administrators of this site DO care whether or not a topic is rail-related. I noticed yesterday that, all of a sudden, the thread entitled "Sanford, FL" disappeared from the forum!! No complaints here -- we were getting WAY far away from trains and rail on that one!!

Trains and boats, fine -- no problem! Even AMTRAK and VIA both on this forum -- no problem!

Even ponies and bagpipes are fine for this forum!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted the American Queen information in a rush yesterday and am just now back onsite....

My experience here has shown that there is an interest on this forum in 'cruise' type travel be it trains, ships, or in this case, riverboats.

There had also been a flurry of activity when the American Queen's original owner went belly up in 2008.

I knew that there would be interest here so I ran with it. A riverboat cruise would be a thing to do someday BUT even being fortunate to catch sight of this beauty at a port-of-call would be something. Given family connections and old friends, we have been known to visit both Louisville and Memphis.

And staying related to previous response - Guttenberg, IA....... been there during my drum corps experience. One of many overlooked river towns in this country. Enjoyed my visit there a great deal.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was I, the original poster, who killed the Sanford thread. I enjoy political byplay, but the ad hominem boxcar generalizations began to get offensive, and so it was time to lay the thread to rest.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Kisor, while some here will likely disagree with your decision immediately noted, I heartily commend it.
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several of my LD trips, including the first one, LAX to SEA, were train/cruise combos. Uncommon Journeys is a company that specifically sets up such trips as the owner is an enthusiast of both.

Now that the Queen is back I hope the American Barge trips recover. They ceased two years ago. We took the Sunset Limited to NOL, traveled along the intracoastal waterway via barge to Galveston, then Ambus to Houston and home on the SL. Great combination to use for travel.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Lead article in the Travel Section of Today's New York Times:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/travel/the-american-queen-paddle-wheeler-cruises-on-the-mississippi.html

Brief Passage:

• FEW who survived it — and, in truth, we all survived it — will soon forget the Great Yazoo Steamboat Wreck of 2012. For one thing, it seemed briefly as if it might disrupt our 5 p.m. dinner seating, which would have raised a howl loud enough to send a hog to church. For another, it was the most exciting thing that happened during our pleasantly lazy six days on the American Queen, a grand steamboat that made a much anticipated return to river cruising this spring after several years at rest
Overall; even if it sounds to me like another varietal of Love Tub contrived merriment, favorable.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

"A howl loud enough to send a hog to church" isn't the only beamish phraseology in that fine piece. There's also "a runt of a pool (not filled on my trip) that in another century might have been mistaken for a spittoon."
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
The verbal imagery is almost like being there myself!

--------------------
David Pressley

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shoot, sounds like I missed a good thread! The Sanford thread didn't even appear on my radar for some reason.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page