TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Onboard Sunset Limited - big delay

Author Topic: Onboard Sunset Limited - big delay
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as all you railfans probably already know, Train Number 1 is sitting in New Orleans stuck behind a derailed freight train. Lunch has been cancelled, but I'm sure they will give us something. What a way to start my first 44 hour long trip! Thank goodness, THANK GOODNESS. . . I'm in a sleeper car!!

Happy National Train Day!! [Smile]

--------------------
Train Granny

http://www.traingranny.com
http://www.facebook.com/traingranny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just announced we will depart in 5 minutes!!

--------------------
Train Granny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any "rethink" regarding the PHL-97(19)-SAV segment?

As of a few moments ago, Roomettes are available; and for what it worth (FWIW) the rate is DOWN.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of a few moments ago, Train Status reports that #1(12) (I think it is #1(12) and not #1(11) which is what it would have been prior to the May 7 Timetable - the phantom train originating ORL on the 11th) is scheduled to arrive Lake Charles more than 4 hours late.

However, there is still a long way to go and there is a lot of "pad" in the schedule. Simply because a train is scheduled for, say, 40min station time such as the Sunset is at several stops, once the station work is complete, it can be gone in less than the scheduled time.

On the other hand, there are an awful lot of things that could still go wrong as that's a long trip ahead - and too much for me in one sitting.

It is much too early to start worrying about your 1-LAX-14 connection. If it is in jeopardy, they will detrain the connecting passengers short of LA (Ontario or Palm Springs) and arrange chartered bus transportation to Bakersfield where a connection with a San Joaquin train to Oakland will be made.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be interesting to keep an eye on this one.

I predict that the connection to #14 in LAX will hold up........

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Any "rethink" regarding the PHL-97(19)-SAV segment?

I had a short "rethink" during our down time today at NOL. But, the rethink passed, and I'm back to my stubborn self!

--------------------
Train Granny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Train Granny
Member # 30118

quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:

I predict that the connection to #14 in LAX will hold up........

Me too, David!!

--------------------
Train Granny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand lunch being cancelled. They always continue with meals, no matter how late they are or what freights they're stuck behind.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
If the delay was known before a train leaves the originating station, the T&E and On-Board staff would be "set back" until about an hour before the re-estimated" departure. Saved about four hours pay in this case as well as in the case of T&E, four more hours before they go overboard; heads up thinking by Amtrak if I may say so.

Oh, and regarding the 1(12)-LAX-14(14) connection, #1(12) departed SAS, San Antonio, 63ML (ML - minutes late; official Amtrakese). At this time, the connection appears quite safe. My road (hold long position UNP) may just get its performance "bonus" after all.

Addendum update: DRT 81ML; lost a little but basically holding its own.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
If the delay was known before a train leaves the originating station, the T&E and On-Board staff would be "set back" until about an hour before the re-estimated" departure. Saved about four hours pay in this case as well as in the case of T&E, four more hours before they go overboard; heads up thinking by Amtrak if I may say so.

But if the passengers are already on-board the train, that means the crews are already on-board as well. Even if we can somehow discount the T&E crew, that still leave the OBS crew. I have never seen Amtrak cancel a meal just because they're running late. Now if the passengers were NOT on-board the train and the train itself was still sitting in the yard waiting for the crew, then I can see the situation happening that you describe. But if the situation is as I understand it, then it makes no sense and I've never heard of this before.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One hour and twenty-one minutes late at Del Rio, TX.

Marty has a day of interesting scenery ahead of her....... and if this running holds up they'll still reach Los Angeles way before breakfast tomorrow!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
#1(12), Sunset Limited that Dr. Hale is aboard, SND, Sanderson, 110ML - 1hr 50min late.

At this time the estimate is ALP 74ML; we'll see 'bout that one. Then it is the 220 mile "non-stop' (well; no station stops) to El Paso where who knows what awaits (a freight with a dead crew for starters).

But all told, the LA Starlight connection at this time is hardly in danger.

Even though Dr. Hale is apparently packing more electronic playthings than a Generation C'er, she is probably at present out of range for any of them to work.

Finally, even though I've never ridden the Amtrak varietal of the Sunset, I have the SP during December 1970. I concur with Mr. Presley that West Texas is not a scenic wasteland, and unlike the Southeastern coastal plain, is "interesting".

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The station stop in Tucson includes the 1500 mile brake check, so that stop won't be abbreviated to 5 minutes.

With the old schedule, once the Sunset hit Metrolink territory it usually moved pretty quickly into LAUS, but with the new schedule, a late train will be running right in the middle of the morning commute rush. I wonder which trains will have priority?

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by UNOHOO:
At this time the estimate is ALP 74ML; we'll see 'bout that one. Then it is the 220 mile "non-stop' (well; no station stops) to El Paso where who knows what awaits (a freight with a dead crew for starters).

ALP 94ML

ELP estimate 76ML at present.

quote:
Originally posted by Vincent206:
With the old schedule, once the Sunset hit Metrolink territory it usually moved pretty quickly into LAUS, but with the new schedule, a late train will be running right in the middle of the morning commute rush. I wonder which trains will have priority?

Regarding Mr. Vincent's captioned thought, something tells me Metrolink will win. Since I was last there (1991), LAUPT has become LAUS and more a mass transit center than "the station for the Stars". #1(12) could well be held for an open track, then backed down to get it "outta there' as soon as the last piece of baggage is unloaded - maybe only some fifteen minutes.

Something tells me, if I EVER WERE to take a 59-NOL-1-LAX-4-CHI "joyride", I'd welcome a later arrival, as all the less time I'd be a "street person" waiting for my room at The Biltmore, and my one night stay to hear the LA Philharmonic with Doudamel at the podium (in my dreams, volks).

1st addendum: DEM 126ML

2nd addendum: LDB 124ML

3rd addendum: PSN 82ML

4th addendum: ONA 59ML

...and to parody a line from "Kiss Me Kate"; "...and on to Pomona".

5th addendum: POS 62ML

6th (and final) addendum: LAX 19ML

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Departed Ontario 61ML for the stretch run.

With padding Amtrak estimates a 10 minute late arrival at LAX @ 5:45am local time...... roughly 20 minutes from now.

Barring something major...... such as a derailment blocking all tracks at the station throat...... which would mean bigger problems than making #14 today, I'd say the connection will be made.

--------------------
David Pressley

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Is this where you have in mind, Mr. Presley?
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
As a matter of fact, it is!

--------------------
David Pressley

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
#1 in LAX at 5:54am local time.

Connection made.

--------------------
David Pressley

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Now that the 19ML LAX arrival of 1(12) has been established, what does Granny do with herself for four hours 'at this hour' at LAUPT?

Are those easy chairs that I recall from 1962 still around? 'betcha they ain't'. Or if somehow they are, they're just stage props for whatever made for TV Lifetime movie is being "shot" in there.

Railfan? she doesn't appear to be one, and besides LAUS has been transformed from the "station to the Stars" to another Metro Center or Five Points. Of interest, back in my railfanning days, I got kicked off the platforms during 1962 - even holding transportation. "You can wait inside for your train" is what the cop said.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
The heavy wooden easy chairs with cushions were still in place when I experienced Los Angeles Union Station 11 months ago.

On that trip I had arrived the night before on #11 and was back the following morning about 7:30am waiting to make a Surfliner RT to San Diego.

So...... a toasted bagel, a beverage, and a local newspaper in one of those nice chairs would satisfy me for two of the four hours. Just remember to keep my ticket for #14 handy as security would definately inquire as to what business I had there..... probaly two or three times.

--------------------
David Pressley

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the lobby is very comfortable at Union Station, however I might take the Red Line to Hollywood & Vine and get a quick breakfast. It's also possible to walk from Union Station to the Frank Gehry designed Walt Disney Concert Hall. It's about a 1 mile walk and it does require climbing a hill, but the architecture is very unique.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I'll hazard a guess that Marty is spending her layover somewhere updating her blog and facebook.....maybe even popping in her for a comment or two.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page