RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Midwestern Dome Experiences

Author Topic: Midwestern Dome Experiences
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presumably originating in Chicago.

Domes Aplenty

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New company?

--------------------
Train Granny

http://www.traingranny.com
http://www.facebook.com/traingranny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A new venture from an existing group called Iowa Pacific Holdings.

They operate a number of shortline railroads around the country and in a few cases they operate tourist trains. One in upstate New York, another out of Alamosa, CO among others.

In this case they're looking to haul a classic dome car coupled behind existing Amtrak trains from Chicago to Quincey, IL, Milwaukee, and Springfield, IL.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iowa Pacific Big Dome Car:

https://www.highirontravel.com/images/sky%20view.JPG

Built for ATSF 1955 by Budd; thence Auto Train, Alaska Rail Tours, Rio Grande Scenic (IP property), now Iowa Pacific.

Oh well, I guess I'll see the Hannibal trip on June 9 when 381(9) passes the Coffee House and its "tables with a view'. Since I've never had occasion to ride GBB-QCY, I should be "ga-ga" to take that ride. But I have tentatively scheduled a trip to Indy and "Day at the Races' with my friends there for the Belmont (postponed from the Preakness). "Day at the Races' with long standing friends wins out over a ride in a Dome Car that really does not offer much in the way of viewing (oh and sorry 850-851, Red Lex and I-65 are more the preferred transport to Indy - especially considering "double lodging" down there and sitting around most of Saturday with nothing to do but stare at four hotel walls and the Sunday return scheduled to leave too early even for me).

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I had a walk through of the car in LaVeta, CO several years ago. It was very nice, but I preferred the coach converted to open platform observation/parlor/lounge they started with on their Rio Grande Scenic train. Wonder if it will now be back in service since this went to Illinois.

It is amazing that out of nowhere, Iowa Pacific seems to be dabbling in many passenger rail operations - excursions and otherwise. The big question - will they last or be another shooting star?

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An F-80, Mr. Palmland.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
One of the more interesting IP operations is a passenger train from Alamosa, CO to Antonito, CO where it connects with the narrow gauge steam trains of the Cumbres & Toltec.

This train is often a single diesel, one Big Dome, and a handful of whatever freight cars happen to be moving between Alamosa and Antonito on that day..... kind of a funky, latter day mixed train. (I once watched this train pass through LaJara while parked at the local Mormon Church)

At any rate, the photo of the Big Dome which you posted Mr. Norman appears to have been in service on the Antonito turn.

--------------------
David Pressley

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
An F-80, Mr. Palmland.

Only old-timers remember this early jet fighter, this one pictured as a trainer:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/t-33/images/060728-f-1234s-005.jpg

Saw service in Korea, but was rapidly eclipsed by the F-86 Sabrejet.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met one of the big-wigs from Iowas Pacific on the SW Chief. Can't remember his name, but he had been in LA for National Train Day, and he began the excursion to the Grand Canyon but had to cut it short and get back to Chicago for something having to do with NATO.

--------------------
Train Granny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ocala Mike, that looks like a straight F-80 to me; weren't the TF-80s and T-33s two-seaters?

(I was an official Junior Planespotter in the U.S. Navy Kiddie Auxiliary from 1944 to 1951 and still have the certificate somewhere.)

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F-80? That one is "new" (to me).
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Dr. Hale, any of these names look familiar?

http://www.iowapacific.com/contact-us.html

I've known several of 'em "along the way", notably Messrs. Ellis and Gregory

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
F-80? That one is "new" (to me).

Given the ostensible purpose of this forum, Smitty, you could be excused for thinking a F-80 was a class of switcher locomotive.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Or the next generation of Amtrak passenger diesels!

--------------------
David Pressley

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, I believe you are correct. The shot is mislabeled; in fact, that shot is so early, I believe we're looking at a P-80, not an F-80.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pporro
Member # 31539

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pporro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lockheed F-80 "Shooting Star" Stock photo.

http://www.aircraftinformation.info/Images/F-80_01.jpg

Domes sound like fun.

Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee-North | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Dr. Hale, any of these names look familiar?

Not really. The fellow was not very personable. He gave (me) the impression he didn't want to be bothered talking... even at dinner. I kinda tuned out. Could have been he just didn't want to talk with me! Who knows???? It took me asking several questions to get him to tell me what he did for a living. It was a lot of "work" just talking to him.

--------------------
Train Granny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I've rubbed elbows with two people from Iowa Pacific....... and one of them may be the one you met Marty. I had a couple of questions about a dome car answered by that one and he seemed to tolerate railfans ..... but just barely.

The other (and he may have been Ed Ellis himself since he had an unspoken yet unassuming aura of 'I'm in charge here' about him) seemed quite gregarious..... clearly enjoyed being in the company of rail travel enthusiasts. He was speaking to another person about how they were trying to find a way to earn a little extra money on top of the shortline freight operations with their vintage passenger equipment because "We like trains..."

I did not attepmt to enter the conversation because I was eavesdropping while sitting beside them in the rear car, a vintage observation lounge, on one of the Rio Grande Scenic all-day excursions from Alamosa, CO to La Veta, CO and return. I had been in the Big Dome for a wonderful ride over LaVeta Pass BUT on this unseasonably damp and grey afternoon I had moved downstairs and back one car for the last 60-90 minutes of the trip since that portion of the run is flat and straight. I was content to just overhear while watching the tracks clickety-clack behind us at a steady 15-20mph looking out the rear window.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page