RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » I'm back on line!!!!!

Author Topic: I'm back on line!!!!!
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all! In case anyone was wondering where I've been the last couple weeks, I have been MOVING!!! I was off line for a few weeks while my computer moved 1300 miles to the north and changed Internet providers.

I retired from the State of Florida on May 17, and am now living in Grayling, Michigan!! I am FAR from any AMTRAK lines, but I am a few hundred yards away from the Lake State Railway, a short line which has about one local freight every week or two.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see you online again!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a switch, moving from Florida to Michigan!
Talk about a contrarian!

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see you back, Rich, albeit in a northerly locale.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Rich, time to start a campaign to "bring back the Northern Arrow?"
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Northern Arrow ran on what is now part of CSX (which, if reinstated, could be an extension of the current Pere Marquette train from CHI to GRR)--the tracks are still there. That is a little further west than where I am. The current Lake State Railway, which runs past my new house, was originally the Detroit & Mackinac RR, which, even until the 1950's and possibly the early 1960's, had a daily train from either Detroit or Bay City-Saginaw up through Grayling and eventually to the Straits of Mackinac (was that the Northland?). I believe the Michigan Central either at one time owned this part of the D & M, or had trackage rights on it.

Of course, nowadays, Lake State has maybe one train a week from Bay City to Gaylord -- I believe they haul mainly gravel, and maybe one or two other commodities.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely stand corrected; my immediate post should have noted Northerner vice Northern Arrow.

From a 1958 NYC "thousand and one' (System PTT), Northlander 395 left Detroit 1050P, stopped Grayling 525A, and arrived Mackinaw City 820A. Return 394 left Mackinaw City 915P, stopped Grayling 1135P arrived Detroit 645A.

By that date, Sleeping Car service comprised a 22 Rmt line that only ran alternate days. By comparasion, a review of a 1954 "1001" shows a 6BR-Lng (light Breakfast) and a 10 Sec 3 BR Pullmans, as well as a ferry connection to the Island. Central clearly saw "the writing on the wall" during the '50's.

Finally to Mr. Nicholson; not everyone wants to "go down below to close it out"; Rich Kimmel, who I know face to face, was there for a job - both he and wife, Jan, are from the Midwest. Despite a strong "sales pitch' to "come on down' to The Villages - and at a time when the real estate market was "hot" and I was more receptive to "wine, women, and song" than I ever am today, I chose to stay put - and will do so for as long as my health permits.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great to have you back, Rich.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Gil -- thanks for the correcton! Yes, that is the schedule I recall from the Northlander!!!

And yes you are correct, Gil -- the only reason I went to Florida 20 years ago was for a job! Yes we are from the Midwest!! (primarily the Chicago area). I NEVER thought I would EVER end up getting a job in Florida back in the early 90's, but I did and stayed there almost 20 years!!

RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Rich, congratulations on retirement, wherever you choose to enjoy it. I am still in the dreaming stage, and awaiting children's "settling down" to see if my choices expand. Hope to read more or your trip reports in the future.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page