RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » LA Union Station terminal? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LA Union Station terminal?
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, I wonder what's worse---LAUS or SLUT? (South Lake Union Transit in Washington). And yes, I rode the SLUT!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soon Amtrak will be stopping at SPUD (St. Paul Union Depot). Maybe Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head will headline the Grand Opening.

One of my favorite news items was when Dallas opened DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit), and the newscaster concluded by saying it was not yet known whether Fort Worth would use a similar naming convention for their system.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't wait for Amtrak to begin stopping at SPUD. Are there any recent photos of how the renovation and concurrent light rail construction are going?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess the dining car servers won't bother to ask "you want fries with that?" when the EB stops at SPUD.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
Soon Amtrak will be stopping at SPUD (St. Paul Union Depot). Maybe Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head will headline the Grand Opening.

One of my favorite news items was when Dallas opened DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit), and the newscaster concluded by saying it was not yet known whether Fort Worth would use a similar naming convention for their system.

It doesn't seem to bother these people:
http://www.rail-info.ch/FART/index.en.html

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't resist...since we're talking about strange names:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucking,_Austria

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, there are many good SPUD photos on this Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/uniondepot

Here is an overhead view. Amtrak will be using the 2 new tracks with the canopy closest to the river.  -

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,

When are you due into KC?

If you come on the first Friday of the month, the Crossroads Art District (Broadway to Oak, the North side of the KCT property line to I-70) is jumping alive with activity!

Affaere (the A is with an umlaut, and I'm to lazy to go and get it from character pad), is in the 1900 block of Main. Nouvelle Continental cuisine, well executed. It just opened. Grunauer's is in the Freight House, next to Jack Stack, and has a patio with a grand view of the KCT/BNSF/UP mainlines.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, right now there are 4PV on Union Station's house tracks...

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my Sister's APPLE (note Smitty); Riverside CT--

Must wonder if Amtrak will bring back NP's Great Big Baked Potato to honor a return to SPUD.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps Garrison Keillor will do a show from there (and I posted a comment to that effect on his website). Amtrak- where all the trains are above average.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pullman -

Coming into KC June 30, a Saturday, on the train from St. Louis and then returning the following morning. I'm hoping for an ontime (or close to it) arrival so that I can visit the KC Rail Experience exhibit at Union Station and maybe get some decent pictures.

Wow TwinStar - Love those photos on Facebook. Six or eight years ago I was up for a Friends of the 261 excursion which boarded from that lot behind SPUD and couldn't help but think "It wouldn't be too difficult to bring Amtrak into this station...." Between this renovation and the extension of the light rail, MSP will become even more friendly to the visitor who prefers not to rent a car...... and given that my wife has an old friend who relocated to the Twin Cities 8-10 years ago, we will have cause to visit again.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Look at all those construction workers" thought King Street Station, overcome with jealousy.

I guess that's how you get a job done.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nittfan
Member # 37125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nittfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG, Jerome 3116 ............. LOVE that one! Too funny..........

To all who have helped me so much, I have not been able to put much time into my plans in the past week. I will be trying to look at things again soon. You have certainly given me a lot to think about and consider, and the rail forums members are all a great (and funny at times) resource.

Posts: 7 | From: Central PA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Vincent206:
 -

"Look at all those construction workers" thought King Street Station, overcome with jealousy.

I guess that's how you get a job done.

In looking through the Facebook photo albums and comments regarding SPUD, that yellow ceiling has drawn the ire of a couple folks who are none-too-happy about it, historically accurate or no.

Maybe Seattle could borrow half of these folks once they wrap the St. Paul Union Depot project up.

--------------------
David Pressley

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They look like a flash mob.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

David,

Have to warn you, the Rail Experience isn't what it used to be. I don't know what's indoors, but the passenger equipment that used to be on Tracks 27 and 28 is gone. The only equipment on the tracks is in the PV parking area. Ex ATSF business car CHICO and a HW obs named TALLGRASS live there, along with a UP dome and Pullman from the folks down in Texas.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Thanks Pullman -

I may visit the WWI museum instead..... I'll eyeball what's down 'at the station' and whether it's possible to get inside as I arrive.

--------------------
David Pressley

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much time do you have between trains, David? Because if you haven't been there, the SS Arabia was my favorite thing in KC, fascinating to visit. There is a pretty frequent free (or cheap) tourist shuttle bus at regular hours; also taxis (not so cheap) but you'd need time to see the exhibit.

PS if you want more info on KC, best start a new strand; this says it's LA!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just got back from another great ride on the Coast Starlight. We got Bob as the sleeping car attendant and Debbie in the Pacific Parlor Car. I've ridden the Starlight many times and it never dissapoints. I really think the Starlight is the most scenic of all the Amtrak routes. I've always loved the scenery north of LA and of course looking at the Pacific for those hundred plus miles out of Santa Barbara and the scenery never lets up!

I noticed you folks are from Bloomsburg,Pa. I live in Northumberland and work in Bloom at the local radio station and I've always talked about my love of trains on the air and all the trips I've taken.

As much as you are looking forward to this trip, the actual trip on the Starlight using the Parlor Car will probably exceed any anticipation you have. Enjoy!!!

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page