RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The Campaign Train; Adios?

Author Topic: The Campaign Train; Adios?
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's keep the politics out of this topic, but does there appear any chance "OB" or "RR" will make use of a train during the last 60 or so days of the campaign?

I doubt it.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romney---highly doubtful.

Obama---I think he'll use Amtrak again in some form or another. The media coverage it got is what he lives for.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romney - No.

Obama - Yes, with crazy Joe B. pushing him.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romney - No

Obama - Maybe

Advantage to be gained by either candidate with a whistlestop tour - Nil

I would not be surprised if we have seen the last bona fide campaign train...... at least in a Presidential campaign.

Might see special trains used to ferry the faithful to the inauguration ceremonies however.

For the record - I had wondered this very thing a couple of weeks ago but didn't follow through and start a thread about it. Just didn't have the stomach for anything that might conjure partisan politicking.......

A wee poem if you will -

I will not politic on a boat
I will not poilitic with a goat
I will not poilitic on a train
I will not politic in the rain

You vote your vote and I'll vote mine -
Keep it friendly and we'll all be fine.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that Romney has vowed to cut Amtrak funding, I doubt it! But Obama has at least injected some funds so maybe there is potential there.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that one of them has a whistlestop run, just so a political prankster can signal the engineer to highball at the very moment that the candidate begins his speech. It happened to Nixon.

Democratic prankster Dick Tuck dressed up as a conductor and gave the highball signal at just the opportune moment.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most reasonable area to use the campaign train if the idea is to be face to face with the largest number of people would be in the northeast corridor area but I will be surprised if it happens there for a few reasons:

First campaigns tend to be most heavily done in the toss up areas, and I think both would consider the northeast fairly well Obama territory. On the other hand, that might be a reason for O to do it here as adoring crowds will play well in the TV cameras.

Second the disruption to everything that the security issues will bring on. The Secret service (is there any irony in their initials being SS?) Their thought process seems to be, yes, we know we are paranoid, but are we paranoid enough? Due to the level of security involved.

I see less likelihood of R using a campaign train, as I see him having less to gain from doing so. However, as a candidate instead of a sitting president the security level would probably be much less.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:

Just didn't have the stomach for anything that might conjure partisan politicking.......

Agreed, Notelvis. Discussions that may start on a subject somewhat related to Amtrak seem to go quickly downhill into the political morass where no ones opinion is going to change.

First person Amtrak experiences and insight into their operations are what interests me on this forum.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:

First person Amtrak experiences and insight into their operations are what interests me on this forum. [/QB]

Hear, Hear! Palmland
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page