RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Quick Surfliner Report (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Quick Surfliner Report
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry--

I don't know. I've never really thought about that but it is a good question. My only experience with onboard medical care was a pretty good one even if it did mean having to leave the ship in Honolulu. The medical charges on the ship were right around $100.00 so I didn't even think about submitting a claim and they were later reimbursed when I filed a claim with the source of the staph infection.

This question might be better answered by contacting Medicare directly. I'd be very interested to hear their answer.

I have a blanket travel insurance policy that covers most medical expenses overseas.

BTW, the HAL ships are registered in Rotterdam where the headquarters was for many years.

Frank in sunny and breezy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting how these Love Tubs play "musical chairs".

When I sailed on the s/s Rotterdam V (edit) "Trans-At", i.e. to get from New York to Southampton, during 1960, she was registered in Rotterdam. When I next sailed her for a cruise during 1979, I found that she was registered in Williamstadt NA. Now it appears that Carnival/Holland America is registering their vessels "back in the old country".

Mr. Kisor, I think your Due Dilligence regarding the matter you outlined was indeed prudent - especially in view of that you have reported here regarding your ongoing "health issues". Somehow, I'd be willing to place my bets that the insurance product Carnival is peddling is down there with Collision Damage Waiver and extended warranties.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman--

I think you mean Rotterdam V. Rotterdam IV was scrapped shortly after the end of WW II. Here's a link to the story of Rotterdam V.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Rotterdam She is now back in her homeport being used as a hotel.

The current Rotterdam is number 6 but, in practice, Holland-America doesn't use the numbers.

Frank in cloudy and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
Finally found the answer: Medicare does NOT cover medical costs incurred aboard cruises on foreign flagged liners. (It *might* cover costs incurred in American territorial waters, but the shipboard physician involved has to be certified by the U.S. Coast Guard.)

Mr. Norman:

A few years ago, OK nearly 20 years ago, we considered bringing my mother over to Taiwan to live with us. At that point we found that Medicare would not pay for medical treatment outside the country. Her Supplemental insurance said they would. Turned out we did not do it. We were well satisfied with our own experiences with the doctors and hospitals there.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was not aware of the insurance limitations for cruise ships, but it doesn't matter, since I have only been on one cruise in my life, which was on an American line (Carnival) -- I doubt if I'll be on any more cruises, since my feelings about cruise ships are very similar to Mr. G. B. Norman's.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, go to Insuremytrip.com. You will find many travel insurance plans there. In order to have preexisting covered you usually have to buy the insurance within 14-21 days of initial deposit. But there are a couple of plans that will allow you to buy later and cover preexisting. You do pay a bit more for those.

You can compare plans easily at that site.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
I was not aware of the insurance limitations for cruise ships, but it doesn't matter, since I have only been on one cruise in my life, which was on an American line (Carnival)

Rich, you were NOT on an American line. While Carnival Corporation (N-CCL) is a US corporation, its vessels are all registered (flagged) "off shore". That sovereignty has jurisdiction with their admiralty laws applying.

As I've noted around here, I am a mariner going way back serving in the Fairfield Navy during the '50's with my final "cruise" during 1983 (sail 1977). It was one thing to sail "Trans-At" back in days when ocean transport comprised some 50% of the market, as that was how you got there - just like train through, say, about 1955. But the "contrived merriment" of the Love Tub leaves me cold, however I once had a girlfriend who "loved the Love Boats"; so we went.

When passengers board a foreign flagged vessel (which essentially means any passenger carrying ocean-going vessel nowadays), they are stepping into a legal "no man's land'. There have been enough incidents that have made the headlines of late to bear that out - and the cruise lines use this "no man's land" to their advantage as they peddle their "tons of fun" product.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Henry--

Another good source of info on travel insurance is www.squaremouth.com . That site will let you compare a variety of offerings. We've used it several times when the travel agent didn't offer "free" insurance as part of the deal.

Frank in sunny SBA

ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
GBN, one thing I have discovered is that none of the travel health insurance policies cover pre-existing conditions. Having had a triple bypass a few years ago, I won't be covered if I have a heart attack on the treadmill in the Zaandam's fitness center.

Of course Obamacare makes it illegal to deny coverage for pre-existing conditions, but this is a foreign flagged ship, not the United States.

I wonder how many geezers like me are unaware of the gotchas.

Henry, it may be too late for you now, but in the future keep in mind that many of the third party travel insurers (Travelex, Travel Guard) WILL cover pre-existing conditions IF you purchase your policy within 14 (or so) days of the time that you FIRST put down money on the trip. Their thinking is, apparently, that if you consider yourself healthy enough to spend money on the trip, you're probably healthy enough to make it. If you miss that window, though, then as you've found out they will NOT cover you for pre-existing conditions.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the legalese from TravelEx's Travel Select policy, which I've purchased in the past:

quote:
The following exclusion applies to the Medical
Expense, Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, and
Trip Delay coverages:
We will not pay for loss or expense caused by or
incurred resulting from:
1. a Pre-Existing Condition, as defined in the plan,
including death that results therefrom. This Exclusion
does not apply to benefi ts under covered expenses
for emergency medical evacuation or repatriation
of remains of the Medical Expense and Medical
Evacuation & Repatriation Benefits coverage.

Waiver of the Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion
The Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion is waived
provided you meet all of the following requirements:
1. the payment for this plan and enrollment form is
received within 21 days of the initial Covered Trip
deposit/payment for your Covered Trip; and
2. you are not disabled from travel at the time you
makes your plan payment; and
3. you insure all prepaid Covered Trip costs that are
subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions; and
also insure the cost of any subsequent arrangements
added to your Covered Trip within 21 days of the
payment for those arrangements.

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, the Platinum Plan covers pre-existing conditions for cancelling your trip. But the insurance included with the cancellation plan does not. So you would not be covered for medical problems during the trip that are pre-existing.

Check out the options on Insuremytrip.com to find one that will cover you.

I just used the Platinum plan as my husband is ill and we are cancelling our cruise next week. But I read the insurance part of the plan, online, and saw that the medical coverage was not adequate. I should have bought one of the others like the one Eric is quoting.

I must say HAL was quick with the refund, took four days.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Miss Vickie, a speedy recovery to Mr. Art.

GBN

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki, two private messages from me are awaiting you.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Replied Henry. Amazingly my request that I get an email when I have a private message worked!

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Vicki--

Congrats on post 777. Too bad you're not playing the slots.

We're sorry to hear about the cancelled cruise. That's always tough to do.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA where we are hosting Sapphire Princess today.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Frank, a friend of mine is on the Sapphire, hopefully seeing your beautiful city right now. Great weather here too.

At least it was post 777, not 666.

And thanks for the good wishes Gil. Art is stable but still incarcerated.

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Vicki--

We drove along the beach and then up State Street. It appeared that Princess had things well organized and so did the city.

I just saw that Celebrity Century will be here on three short cruises in April 2013. We'll miss her because we'll be on our way to Rome on Celebrity Reflection.

Our thoughts are with you and Art as you know.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page