RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Summer Travels

Author Topic: Summer Travels
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am honored to currently share billing on TrainWeb's featured article page with Henry Kisor whose piece following his VIA Rail trip to Nova SCotia is top rate. Part 1 of my travelog details our summer travel from New Orleans to Denver and our journey to the top of Pikes Peak on the cog railway. That is quite a climb in a rail vehicle! Later in our trip we rode the scenic Royal Gorge route, the amazing Cumbres & Toltec and the fabulous Rio Grande Scenic railroads which both feature steam power and beautiful mountain scenery,and the Front Runner commuter line in Utah before returning to Florida on Amtrak. Those travels will be covered in subsequent stories on TrainWeb. I highly recommend all of these trips.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack, every time you post a new article on TrainWeb I have to extend my bucket list even more!
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I don't frequent Trainweb.com very often it took me a while to locate your story, so thought I would post a link to help others who might fumble a bit. Part 1, NOL-Pikes Pike Report

Enjoyed the ride and makes me want to take the train to Pikes Peak. Our only other visit was long ago in a '62 Pontiac that frequently had vapor lock. We did make it to the top.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Turner, Mrs. and Daughter perchance?

http://trainweb.org/vrt/TheCityandTheZephyr/640/IMG_0178.jpg

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN- Wife and Son...
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MDRR is correct.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Yes, that ride to the top of Pikes Peak was amazing. I rode to the top in 1976 via tour bus and it was scary. The cog railway trip is not at all nerve wracking (I wasn't sure that would be the case) and was very, very scenic and enjoyable. I highly recommend it. Try to get assigned to the left hand side going uphill as the mountain views are on that side. They don't swap seats for the return so you get the better view both ways. This is most important for photographers...non-photo fans can see fine from either side.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Turner, a closer look reveals the errors of my sight. Kudos to the Mrs. that she could have passed for a daughter.

In the past, I've done both the M&PP and the highway - latter in a rented auto of a varietal Ralph Nader said was "unsafe at any speed".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN -with the oversteer you could easily coax out of a rear engine car on gravel, that had the potential to be a really fun climb, if you were young and reckless.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page