RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » new Downeaster route

Author Topic: new Downeaster route
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to map the new Downeaster route from Portland to Freeport & Brunswick. According to Google Earth and Google Maps, it looks like the train will have to make a backup move into Portland from the former B & M (now Pan Am) main line. I see no other way it can get to the Portland station from the north. Is this right, or am I missing something?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In view of that the Downeaster sets have control units on either end, the backup may not be necessary. However, in that case for passengers ending up riding backwards for any portion of their journey, "sorry 'bout that".

Oh well, guess they "never should have chopped 'er down", that mausoleum was run-through; both Ocala Mike and myself can confirm first hand.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil -- please check your e-mail. I sent you a Google Earth image concerning this question, since I don't know how to post images onto this forum. I don't believe you understood my question quite right......
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I do; I agree there is a directional issue.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rich, have a look at the first post on this page, which confirms the back-up move:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=48823&start=3315

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Thanks so much, Geoff!! I kinda figured that was the routing the train has to take now.
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's kind of an awkward situation for them. As I understand it, the current station is an intermodal transportation center to some degree, so they don't want to lose that. To build another station means doubling the costs, for running two stations. So I guess the cheapest option for the moment is that back-up move. I assume that can be achieved solely by the on-board crew (conductor on the back during the reverse move) so the only cost is time.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Service gets underway:

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/maine/0001/11/30/downeaster-rolling-north-freeport-brunswick/1274775?utm_source=Sun+Journal+List&utm_campaign=faaf0cb91d-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_mediu m=email

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
That's great to see! Apparently the Boston area did not have any effects from Sandy, so they were able to get the new Downeaster service started. Great -- one last "stimulus-based" AMTRAK expansion from the Obama era (?)

If Romney gets elected and cuts 90% of AMTRAK, hopefully at least some of the AMTRAK corridors will continue in operation. Now they need a Chicago-northern Michigan corridor! [Smile]

JoeR
Member # 2633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just rode the new extension last week, and operationally, leaving Portland to Freeport and Brunswick the train does have to back up for proper positioning. On the return from Brunswick, the train does the backup move prior to loading passengers in the Portland station, persumably so their travel time is not extended. This move adds at least 8 minutes to the Portland-Brunswick travel time. I spoke with the conductor, and she told me patronize thus far has been fairly dismal on the extension... hopefully this is not fuel for the fire of critics! All are hoping that once word catches on patronige will improve.
Posts: 38 | From: Highland, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page