RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » what is your favorite steam engine and why!

Author Topic: what is your favorite steam engine and why!
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tomorrow I am hosting Lets Talk Trains
and would like to know what you think.

Thanks,

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 4-8-8-4 Big Boy. Because it is such a big boy, and looms down the track with all the implications of the Book of Revelation. (The phrase was David P. Morgan's.)
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New York Central J-1 4-6-4 Hudson.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/hudson/nychud.jpg

The proportions (drivers, leading and trailing trucks) say it all.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The engine(s) used on the Southern Pacific Daylights. Sorry I can't tell you the specifics but they looked so cool with the orange and red colors against the black. And they had either white or silver "whitewalls" on the wheels.

Frank in sunny but cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a really hard question because I am fascinated by any number of steam locomotives.... the Milwaukee 261, the SP 4449, the shays at Cass, the Colorado Narrow Gauges, the Southern Mikados.......

For this question though, I'm going to think fairly small and say the Baldwin 4-6-0's delivered in 1917 for the East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Narrow Gauge Railroad. At it's largest, the ET&WNC was a 64 mile line running from Johnson City, TN to Boone, NC and these little ten-wheelers played an important role in opening a particularly isolated corner of Appalachia to the outside world. Before the railroad, it was once said, that the 'onliest way to get to Boone, NC was to be born there.'

By the time the narrow gauge ceased operation in October 1950, only two (#11 and #12) of the five last 4-6-0's remained on the property. Numbers 10 and 14 had gone to Alaska to the White Pass and Yukon during WWII and were destroyed in a roundhouse fire there....

But on a happier note - #12 survives at the Tweetsie Railroad, a cheesy amusement park, near Boone, NC. The whole park is a parody of a 1950's western with the train being held up by bandits and attacked by indians on every 3-mile trip....... and the kids mostly love it. I love that the two steam locomotives (the other a former White Pass & Yukon 2-8-2) are maintained in pristine condition. It's a symbiotic reltionship. The historic train is the franchise and the amusement park doesn't survive without it..... but at the same time the revenue generated by the park keeps the locomotives in good repair.

This link is a photo I took at the park's annual railfan weekend 6 or 7 years ago. Note that #12 has been lettered ET&WNC for the weekend.

ET&WNC #12

And here is an amatuer video that I shot during the Tweetsie Railfan Weekend in 2011. Here #12 is the lead engine with the higher pitched whistle. Both locomotives are in their 'normal' Tweetsie Railroad lettering..... and I really like that the two bells kind of give a 'church bell' effect.

Doubleheader

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, the Southern Railway Locomotive 1401, now in the Smithsonian.

Also, the Central Pacific RR No. 1, The Gov. Stanford.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Museum of Transport in St. Louis has a Big Boy on display. One cannot imagine the immensity of this locomotive until they see it person. It is my favorite heavyweight.

The Hudson series has to be one of the best all around engines, fast, powerful, beautiful. I remember them doing commuter train duty on the Milwaukee Road and Chicago and Nothwestern in the early to mid 50's at the end of steam's reign.

And as to beauty the NYC streamlined Hudsons were truly works of art. Sophosticated and understated.

Finally, the Milwaukee Road's streamlined Atlantics and Pacifics (I think that they used Hudsons also)for 100 mph plus Hiawatha duty were magnificenly bold and brash in their streamliner cloaks.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm afraid I don't have anywhere near the knowledge of steam locomotives that y'all have!! My area of RR expertise is pretty much limited to AMTRAK and its history. Sorry.........
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dream Department (and "RR Red Meat"); when will Amtrak get its "steam heritage" program going???

(i.e. build some J-1 Hudsons for the Lake Shore; some K-4's for the Pennsylvanian, I-5's for the Corridor East End)

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. GBN, What is the difference between a Hudson, K4, and I5? They all appeared to have the 4-6-4 wheel configuration.
Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Actually, Mr. Iron, the K-4 has a 4-6-2 (Pacific) arrangement. Of course, if you are overseas, then such is "Pacific 2-3-1".

The differences, aside from builders and sheathing style, between an I-5 and J-1 are numerous, but I had best defer to others who have more knowledge as a historian of steam locomotives.

I mark the end of steam motive power in regular revenue service as 1958, but I'd dare say students of such could perfect that generalized date. From where I grew up along the New Haven, steam was gone during 1952. The last steam powered train I observed on the New Haven was a wire train during (guess) 1950. My last regular US revenue ride behind steam was August 1956 on the Central Vermont. My last ride overseas was December 1967 in Thailand. Anything since has been s couple of excursions.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What steam locomotive was the last in service on a passenger train?

I know the Coast Daylight 4449 (GS-4 classs) was retired in 1957. What about the Union Pacific 8444? (844). It served on the Portland Rose, LA Limited, and others. Was it retired later than 1957? Any other candidates?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Richard, I believe it was on either Canadian National US subsidiary Grand Trunk Western or Central Vermont.
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
In the early to mid 60's there was small railroad, The Possum Trot Line, in Camden, Arkansas. My girl friend and I drove there from Shreveport, La and rode the train. The consist was a passenger car, oil tanker, and a couple of flatbed cars. I think there was a caboose.

Its mission was to leave from its beginning point, which was by the double tracked mainline Missouri Pacific and head back through swampy piney wood wilderness. It stopped for oil for the tank car and picked up logs. It provided a run-by for a few shutterbugs that bought passage. The train ended at a station of sorts deep in the woods. People had the option of purchasing box lunches at the beginning of the trip. The track made a large circle and that is how the train truned around.

The absolute high point was the run-by. The engineer let me ride in the cab with him. I will never forget the thrill when he let her fly. Roaring, shaking, belching smoke and steam. The engine was a 4-8-4 I think. It was one of three locomotives, all steamers, that comprised the motive power for the Possum Trot. One of them had been used in several movies. Today it is a tourist RR. But when I rode it it was a working RR. Great memory.

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The show is over. thank you all for your responses.

Thank you all.

Chriis

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:
The show is over. thank you all for your responses.

Thank you all.

Chriis

Just curious how you worked the responses from this thread into the show?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
I either read or paraphased each post on this forum and trainorders and used them during one segment of the show giving each person credit. If you want to listen to that show go to What's new on Trainweb and follow the links to the show which is there 24/7.

Chris

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page