RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Privatize the Canadian?

Author Topic: Privatize the Canadian?
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Oct. issue of TRAINS magazines (p. 10) discusses recent VIA cuts and reductions in train frequencies. The article makes mention of VIA's desire to emphasize services in eastern Canadian provinces, while deemphasizing services to western provinces. The article states the changes may be a prelude to possibly privatizing the "Canadian".

I don't know if it will ever happen, it's only a rumor. But, I'm kind of intrigued by the idea. If the Canadian is privatized, would it become a daily train? What about routes..would it follow the present CN route to Edmonton or go back to the old CP route through Calgary? Or, perhaps, split and go both routes.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I'd do would be to return service through Thunder Bay, ONT. The present service follows the CN mainline that is to the north of Thunder Bay. One could use the CN Toronto - Thunder Bay, then transfer to the CP, use the CP all the way to Winnipeg, then transfer back to the CN, if one wanted to keep VIA Rail using Crown Corporations as much as possible while still serving T. Bay. I would also make the train a daily service, year round.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A "privatization" initiative simply translates to "we want out and we have some equipment we'd like to sell". Maybe a tourist operator such as Rocky Mountain Railtours would step up.

Via, under enough "pressure" to become fiscally responsible, and while they are on the "QT" with their operating statistics, I'd bet their "subsidy per passenger" is much higher than is Amtrak's.

While the argument has been made and with some foundation that The Canadia/en represents a draw for overseas tour groups, some power that be is foreseeing continued adverse economic conditions in Europe and now they are looking at same in Asia.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quite agree, Mr. Norman. I think, reading "between the lines" of the article, it would seem like VIA wants out of the Canadian. However, I would also think that there would be considerable pressure, from Canadian citizens, to keep the route and the connection between Toronto and Vancouver. It would be a real tragedy if the route becomes defunct and deprives passengers from one of the most scenic train rides on the planet.

I also thought about the possiblility of the Rocky Mountaineer taking over if the VIA opts out. I think they would have to establish an entirely new train at reasonable rates, unless they could add on a "commmuter" section to their present train, with sleepers included.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Canadian is on my "bucket list". Maybe I finally will have to get a passport.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is on my bucket list as well. I've got the passport, so that's not my issue. Mine is money, time, and I just have to quit dragging my feet. I've seen pictures that friends have taken from on-board the train, and I get butterflies in my stomach at just thinking about going! It looks like such a nice time----something that is right up my alley that I would not mind spending money on because of the great equipment, food, and SERVICE. Maybe I can somehow use my AGR points to take the Starlight up to Seattle, then the Talgo across the border, and then onto the Canadian for the trip east. After all of that choo-choo-chooing, I would want to fly home. It sounds sooooooo enjoyable.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
It is on my bucket list as well. I've got the passport, so that's not my issue. Mine is money, time, and I just have to quit dragging my feet. I've seen pictures that friends have taken from on-board the train, and I get butterflies in my stomach at just thinking about going! It looks like such a nice time----something that is right up my alley that I would not mind spending money on because of the great equipment, food, and SERVICE. Maybe I can somehow use my AGR points to take the Starlight up to Seattle, then the Talgo across the border, and then onto the Canadian for the trip east. After all of that choo-choo-chooing, I would want to fly home. It sounds sooooooo enjoyable.

I hope you get a chance to do that, Smitty. I more or less did that last summer, although I didn't start with the CS. I flew to Seattle then took the morning Cascade to Vancouver. I boarded the VIA Canadian at 8:30 PM the next day. Beautiful trip. I can't remember how much it cost, however, for a 2 person compartment ("manor car") the cost was reasonable.

If you go, be sure to rent a car and drive the Icefield highway between Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper. A great trip would be the VIA from Vancouver to Jasper, a rental-car drive to Banff, then the Rocky Mountaineer from Banff back to Vancouver. Of course, you're talking big bucks. Furthermore, a Canadian dollar is about the same as an American dollar so it isn't the bargain it once was.

Richard

David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have read any of the speeches by VIA's CEO Marc Laliberte you will know that he feels trains don't make sense for distances over 800 km. After Thursday 25 Oct. the Canadian will operate only two days a week until early May when it will revert to tri-weekly. If the Canadian is privatised I doubt it would run at all in the off-peak seasons. The losses must be huge. I also suspect that low fares such as these will be a thing of the past:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/deals/toronto-vancouver

My most recent trip on the Canadian was at the end of June. I noticed some small downgradings that can't save VIA much money. Paper napkins were used for breakfast and lunch; the flowers on the tables and in the Park car were fake; there were no evening hors d'oeuvres in the Park car (although passengers who boarded in Vancouver told me they were served on departure); one breakfast eastbound was converted to continental followed by brunch. Westbound, on the morning into Jasper this has been the case for a few years, but there appears to be no reason for this on the eastbound run. Route guides and timetables were in very short supply. The Canadian is still a splendid train with very good food and service, but downgrading small items could be the beginning of a slippery slope. I saw this happen in the early 1980s.

On the subject of fares,I had booked my trip with VIA Preference points. The day before my trip I noticed some fantastic Express Deals, even cheaper than what is currently available. So with the assistance of a very efficient and friendly VIA agent I cancelled my trip, got my points back, and paid a very low fare.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Some news on the subject of privatizing the "Canadian". However, somewhat of a twist. Instead of letting the Canadian fall because of financial concerns, there is some talk of, instead, making it into a luxury train excursion, presumably to compete against the Rocky Mountaineer (?).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/tories-mull-privatizing-via-rail-routes/article4101792/

25 million for luxury cars, including 12 deluxe sleepers with a double bed, flat screen tv, glass door shower. What will the passenger fare be? I'll believe it when I see it.

Richard

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page