RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New paint scheme, Phase 4b

Author Topic: New paint scheme, Phase 4b
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gunn is getting rid of the Acela blobs, Lava lamps, flying breast implants, booger paint schemes from the Northeast Corridor Amfleet cars.

Instead, they're now using a revised version of Phase 4. More on TRAINS.com

~Chris

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMTK271
Member # 1778

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for AMTK271   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris-good use of adjectives to describe that paint scheme. Phase 4 looks better anyways...
-Paul

Posts: 24 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phase IV--

A REAL RAILROAD scheme. Sort of reminded me of PRR

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GP25
Member # 158

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GP25   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think Ph III will come back?? I liked PH III
Posts: 40 | From: Tarzana, CA-USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mart
Member # 1615

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It dosen't seem that way GP25. I like phase III as well.

[This message has been edited by Mart (edited 09-05-2002).]

Posts: 9 | From: hmm, South of Richmond, Virginia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gunn is thinking in a good direction. Phase V will remain on locomotives to save money, etc. No sense in wasting money on freshly painted locomotives.

My guess is why Phase IVb is being used is that the majority of our equipment is basically Phase IV. The only revision that was made specifically for the NEC is a circle that says 'coach class', but doesn't say Acela Regional or any of those flaky names.

A good step in the right direction I must say. Some people have called this Phase VI -- I and several others have indicated that it's not a brand new paint scheme, simply a step back to pick up where Warrington took over to dismantle Amtrak.

~Chris

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they went overboard with the Phase V paint schemes. Just painting the Acela Express in that style to seperate those cars from the rest of the fleet is fine, but forcing all the new cars and engines to sport that scheme is just plain dumb. They had a decent paint scheme before and should have stuck with it.
Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when the "lava lamps" started showing up, I thought that this may have been the beginnings of divestiture, and that the "Acela Railroad" would even be getting reporting marks and all that...echoing the "Amtrak breakup" that many spoke of and the SBUs seemed to be the beginning of (what with "Amtrak West", etc).

Amfleet I "lava lamps" do not seem to wear well; dark peacock blue clashes violently with the light aqua and it almost burns out the retina of the observer. Phase IV is much more relaxed...

Phase V has to go from the AEM-7s at least. It makes them look like they're being prepped for a sell-off...

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surfer
Member # 1980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surfer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by F40PHR231:
Gunn is getting rid of the Acela blobs, Lava lamps, flying breast implants, booger paint schemes from the Northeast Corridor Amfleet cars.

Instead, they're now using a revised version of Phase 4. More on TRAINS.com

~Chris

Can't find it on Trains.com, where?

Posts: 18 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surfer,
Try this site: http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/002/956znknx.asp
You may have to be a member to read it, though.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page