RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Ocean View dome on Hiawatha

Author Topic: Ocean View dome on Hiawatha
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just had a fun ride on the Ocean View dome car with 10-12 others! It is "visiting" for the holiday weekend. A real treat, but most passengers didn't seem interested or maybe didn't realize how rare it is.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ma. McFarland, while you and most others here represent exceptions, again we must not lose sight that "Ocean View" is in consist and revenue service for one reason - they will need the revenue space over the Thanx travel period.

99% of the revenue passengers simply want a ride - and the Horizons regularly assigned provide just that.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just that the dome is a novelty & I thought more people would at least want to take a look at a unique experience. Obviously not everyone would be able to ride in the dome, but not even to be curious enough to look. . .
I continue to overestimate a lot of my fellow Americans, I guess.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the interior of the dome. It's "old school Amtrak" that reminds me of how the Santa Fe Hi-Level cars (which are now the Pacific Parlour Cars on the Coast Starlight) used to look back when they were used in lieu of a Sightseer Lounge (usually on the Zephyr and Sunset Limited). It's a very non-modern interior, but it sure is nice to ride up in that big dome. The only drawback is when it's on a foamer trip and is packed with people. I never enjoy those trips, so I don't do them any more.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Judy McFarland:
I continue to overestimate a lot of my fellow Americans, I guess.

Ms. Mc Farland, there could have been an on-board announcement made to the effect of "Folks, today we have a special travel experience for you which is yours to use free of charge but is first come first served.....(blah blah)".

Some aboard of course would have moved, some might even have had a "shall we.." moment, but by and large, there would be about as much movement as you noted on your recent trip.

Your trip was made before the actual Thanx rush occurred, but Amtrak was positioning its equipment to be ready. Was the Dome filled yesterday? of course it was. Was it filled with sightseers and novelty experience seekers? hardly. It simply represented some 50 or so seats.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill613a
Member # 4264

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill613a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody know why Amtrak did not run this car on the CARDINAL on 11/9 & 11/10 as they had advertised?
Posts: 37 | From: LAKEWOOD, OHIO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Does anybody know why Amtrak did not run this car on the CARDINAL on 11/9 & 11/10 as they had advertised?"

i believe it was due to mechanical issues.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page