RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Latest News on the Canadian Upgrade

Author Topic: Latest News on the Canadian Upgrade
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They say the new cars and services to begin next summer:

http://blog.irtsociety.com/2011/09/28/vias-luxury-canadian-booking-to-start-soon/

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this. It looks fantastic!! Oh how I would love love love to take this trip in one of the new fancy sleepers!!! Looking forward to seeing how it prices out.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The article, which I thought was new, is from last April. Yep, Smitty, I will be really interested to see the prices for the luxury sleepers. I know many, with myself included, think it is equally possible for the Canadian to be scuttled, entirely, by VIA, as TRAINS magazine hinted. I hope not. I like the idea of the option of meals in your room.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the article predates the late summer bloodletting in which the off peak Canadian and Ocean were cut back heavily. It would be nice to find out if the luxotrain plans are still going forward. Not that I'd spring for one.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least they noted that the regular sleeper class passengers will still have access to the Park Car.
This is counter to Fred Frailey's article on the subject; Here's hoping this one is right.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Society of International Railway Travelers is a travel agency in Louisville that specializes in International luxury rail travel:

http://www.irtsociety.com/siteinfo.php?id=1

They are simply hyping a product that, at this time, could just as easily not be produced as be produced. The service was to have started this year; now it's next year.

Those agents have nothing to lose; they have no skin in the game - that's why they're agents.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
Yes, the article predates the late summer bloodletting in which the off peak Canadian and Ocean were cut back heavily. It would be nice to find out if the luxotrain plans are still going forward. Not that I'd spring for one.

The Third Quarter Report is out and it is indicated on page 8 that a new contract has been signed to complete the interiors of the 12 cars (four Park cars and eight Château sleepers.)

"During the quarter, VIA finalized a new contract
to complete 12 HEP-I Park and sleeper cars with
new reconfigured interiors."

Here is a link to the entire report if anyone is interested. Most of the news isn't very good, but it's not all bad.

http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/About_VIA/our-company/quartely-reports/2012/Q3_report_FINAL.pdf

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page