RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » I'll take Fullerton over Victorville any day!

Author Topic: I'll take Fullerton over Victorville any day!
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Details about a Vegas train:
http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/California+Vegas+party+train+signs+deal+with+railroad+could+tracks/7609734/story.html

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that story is confusing two different projects. The "Party train" referenced above only has permission as far as Barstow, where the tracks mingle with those of the BNSF, and it's BNSF that carry on to Victorville. The "other" project, the high speed route, is the one that starts in Victorville.

In both cases the problem is getting the capacity "down the hill" to San Berdoo. In reality the capacity exists: it's just that nobody wants to give it up even for one paltry train extra each way per day.

Mind you, for $99 each way - even including a meal - it's something even I would only take for a joyride once. It can cost me roundly that same price for gas there and back for an entire family. Greyhound is under $50 each way per person from Victorville.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page