RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Fatal Grade X-ing Incident; 91(28)

Author Topic: Fatal Grade X-ing Incident; 91(28)
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As reported by the Orlando Sentinel, #91(28) Silver Star, was involved in a major grade X-ing incident to the South of Orlando November 29. The incident occurred at an X-ing on railroad now owned by the Florida DOT that was only protected by "crossbucks". The driver of the motor vehicle, a "semi" with a load of rock. was injured and deceased at the scene:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-fatal-train-crash-20121129,0,6201903.story

Brief passage

• Joe Dorrity of Newark, N.J., was sleeping next to his father on an Amtrak train to Tampa when he was awakened by a sudden, violent jolt.

The passenger train had struck a dump truck, killing the truck driver, at the intersection of South Orange Avenue and Glenrose Road south of Orlando. The collision toppled Dorrity's father, who was in a wheelchair, and sent fellow passengers into hysterics.

"Everybody was in shock at first; then panic started setting in," Dorrity said. "They were crying. They just couldn't believe they saw the whole thing."

Seeram Matadial of Orlando was behind the wheel of the truck. The 44-year-old driver was headed westbound hauling a load of rocks at about 11:07 a.m. when he was struck by the train. Matadial's body was thrown about 150 feet from the impact zone. He was killed instantly.

The impact of the collision was so great that Matadial's dump truck was split in two. The trailer was disconnected from the cab and sent flying about 100 feet from the crash, said Sgt. Kim Montes, an FHP spokeswoman.
It appears that the indemnity provisions, which have been noted here at other topics, and which when operating over FDOT owned rails places the burden upon Amtrak "for everything", will have occasion to be the "early out of the gate" test case.

Hopefully I'm mistaken, but should the fatally injured party seek damages from anyone contending that the X-ing was not adequately protected (I'm sure the billboard lawyers - and as RRRich knows first hand, there are plenty of 'em down in that neck of the woods - are already "chompin' at the bit"), Amtrak is on tap. That the train was apparently being operated in accordance with the Rules will be of little concern.

"A" marks the spot.

From Little Google Man's Brownie.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first thought was that a posted speed of 70mph with a wide open crossing like that was an accident waiting to happen. However, the driver of the truck had a good 12-14 seconds to see the train coming, on a good viewing angle, assuming there was nothing else blocking his path. The perception of speed, or lack thereof, with that viewing angle and curvature has been noted to be a factor in previous accidents though.

No mention of the engineers' condition. I hope he/she/they are okay.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Mayo; from within the article:

• Authorities said 140 passengers and 13 crew members were aboard the 10-car train traveling from New York to Miami. Two crew members were hurt, but it is unclear whether they were transported to hospitals, said Amtrak spokeswoman Christina Leeds.

At least 15 passengers were treated and assessed at the scene for minor injuries, according to Orange County Fire Rescue spokesman John Mulhall. Ten of those were transported to local hospitals as a precaution, officials said.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One could assume the two crew members were the engineers but it's not clear - nor whether they were minor bumps and scratches or something unfortunately more permanent.

Anyway, part of the point was that most people forget the person(s) up front, not just their physical well being but their mental state after such an accident.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
The Engine crew assignment, to my knowledge, is JAX-MIA; that run is in excess of six hours, so, under existing Labor Agreement, Engineer and Assistant are assigned.

Mr. Mayo's immediate point is well taken; especially in a world where the mental health community has learned PTSD is a real illness and not just some "it's all in the mind; get over it" such as I would have heard back when I was a kid.

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Midland, TX flatbed truck vs. freight train was barely off the newswires, now this. Sure, lawsuits will fly on this one. I'm idly wondering; if the truck driver had "stopped-looked-listened" at the crossbucks-protected crossing, perhaps he'd still be alive and the train unscratched.

I feel bad for the Crew, and the traumatized/injured passengers...

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Welcome to an X-ing that "scares the life out of me".

This X-ing is at Michiana Shores IN and Amtrak (Michigan Central) MP224. The highway is US12; the direction of travel here is Westward.

"Drive" the "Googlemobile' over the X-ing; taking particular note as to how much clearance there is between the tracks and US12. Also lest we forget, Amtrak MAS is now 90mph.

I've never had a "close shave" there; but I have had "a couple" elsewhere. One was in Clarendon Hills when the sun was in my eyes and could not see the signals at Prospect Ave X-ing activate. The first I saw was the gates coming down; time to make like Roadrunner lest I get a "Meep Meep", or worse, from BNSF.

I also have had a closer one than I would like at Elkhart leaving the National NYC Museum. They have an access road BEHIND signals protecting the NS/NYC Water Level route.

While those around here who have been with me "behind the wheel" may disagree, State Farm thinks I'm a "Safe Driver".

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

The mental issue can affect people in different and unexpected ways. A friend of mine, outgoing and friendly, not bothered by much, had a "one under" while he was driving a commuter service. It really knocked him for six as he was off work for nearly six months, before returning as a depot driver for a couple of months until he gathered enough courage to drive on the main line again.

Another driver I knew was nicknamed The Terminator as he'd had no less than half a dozen under his wheels. He took the mandatory fortnight rest leave, sometimes taking a vacation somewhere just because he had free time, and then returning to work as if nothing had happened.

Different people; different effects.

--------------------
Geoff M.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard to say how anyone would react to this until they are the person trying to handle it.

I believe that I would be more like the first friend cited above.....

Otherwise, I have difficulty fathoming why people continue to drive in front of trains. These are folks who simply are not paying attention maybe.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To this I will add that in the 1990's I once drove a bus full of drum and bugle corps members in front of a train. I was the fourth vehicle of seven in that group's 'convoy' that summer.

But here are the circumstances -

This was a rural road in southeastern Michigan shortly after dark. We approached a grade crossing with no lights flashing and the gate up. There was, however, a train with headlights burning sitting on the track perhaps 30 yards away.

I stopped per federal mandate so that I could look and listen. The train was not moving.

I got on the radio to the driver of the vehicle behind me and indicated that the train was not moving and that I was going to go ahead. I put the bus in gear (it was a manual transmission vehicle from the late 1970's) and started into the grade crossing.

No sooner had the front bumper of the bus moved onto the tracks, the train sounded it's horn and began moving. The lights started flashing and the gates began dropping.

It was a close call that was not quite THAT close. I easily had time to clear the tracks as the train was starting from a dead stop.....

But to many of the kids riding the bus distracted by other things, most of them had no idea of what was transpiring until hearing the train horn and seeing a headlight in their windows just 25 yards away.

I had some nervous young people that night who needed convincing that their driver was not given to carelessness. Fortunately, many of the kids on my bus were veteran members of the organization and had ridden with me two or three summers already and were able to convince the newer members that I was 'safe'.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page