RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight change (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Coast Starlight change
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a vote for Menage a Trois red and the same brand in white. Light and oh so drinkable, and easy on the wallet.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's really a wine brand called Menage a Trois?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. They're blends of three varietals, hence the name. The company sales website says: "Ménage à Trois examines what happens when you put three attractive, single, young grapes in one exquisite bottle. It's fun; it's exciting; it's legal in most states . . . "

And is good for a chuckle when one serves them to dinner guests.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had a Polygamy Porter ("Why Have Just One?") beer in Utah.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Twin Star, what's wrong with a Bud Lite. I think that is what I had when I last had a beer in this life - maybe five or so years ago (a social situation where, absent being a non-drinker, it would have been rude to decline).

I don't know if Utah still only allows "near beer", "Roosevelt beer", or otherwise beer with a 3.2% alcohol content as was the case when I was stationed at Hill AFB 1968-69. I think one would get sick on that stuff before ever getting drunk.

Otherwise, on my last trip to Utah during 2010, I found my beverage of choice to be quite available; only exception seemed to be there was no lobby bar at Abravanel Hall, unlike any other performing arts venue I have had occasion to visit.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were in Park City (a ski town), where the booze is just as strong as anywhere else in the US. Our first stop there was a bar that distilled their own whiskey on site. There was nothing unusual I noticed about liquor regulations, and there were many bars per block.

Sorry, but my primary dislikes in beer are (1) any Lite, and (2) Budweiser. My favorites are Fat Tire and Coors. Even Sam Adams doesn't impress, but I enjoy most craft beers. So on Amtrak it is Corona by default (no other choices I like). To each our own I guess.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Coast Starlight used to serve "regional" beer and wine. It was supposed to represent the areas that the train traveled through. They did this with the diner menu as well. This was back when Amtrak had the "Superior Service" guarantee (and logo), shortly after the PPCs were totally refurbished and re-introduced. It was during this time period that I discovered "Labatt's Blue" in the lounge car. One of the best beers I've ever had. I don't see it in stores around here---anyone know if that beer is still around? I want to take a guess and say that this was in the early 90's when they were selling this beer on-board 11 and 14.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing to be sorry about, TSR. I must admit I do miss a good English ale, chilled to be cool but still flavorful. Not this super chilled (to get rid of the taste), hyper carbonated (no idea why) stuff like Budweiser. Thankfully there is a lot more choice of darker and flavorful beers now in the US than there was when I first started visiting back in the 90s.

One to try if you see it is Wells' Banana Bread Beer. It's dark, has a distinct banana flavor, and I love it. Sometimes you see it as an import, other times as a "brewed in the UK, bottled in the US" kind of thing. I've seen a few random places selling it but http://www.warehouseliquors.com/ in Chicago had a good selection - a chance find on a rail convention to the city a couple of months ago.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Smitty, Labatt Blue reputedly is the No. 1 selling beer in Canada. We see it often in Upper Michigan stores. I prefer Heineken and Stella myself.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My local bar here in Grayling, MI (northern Lower Peninsula), has Labatt Blue, and that is usually what I order when I go there.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss the days when the CS used to serve Stone's Arrogant *******. An aggressive hoppy IPA..
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Ah, so Labatt's is still around? Wish I could get my hands on some. I really enjoyed it.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page