RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Woman steals train and crashes it into a house

Author Topic: Woman steals train and crashes it into a house
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only hope those folks at the TSA don't see this....

http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/15/woman-steals-commuter-train-in-sweden-before-crashing-it-into-a-house-3352922/

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there something wrong with this? [Eek!]

Just kiddin'....Man oh man, the things that some people do.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drunk texting and train driving don't go together?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just came on line to post about this but see you beat me to it. Shades of The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (the original is best).
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prosecutors in Sweden have announced that the incident is now being treated as a bizarre accident. The woman, who is still seriously ill in hospital, is not suspected of having committed any offence and is no longer under arrest.

MODERATOR - could you please change thread title to "Woman didn't steal train and crash it into a house"

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latest BBC story on the crash.

(The earlier link was broken. The above is a new one and should work.)

Maybe she bumped the throttle, which perhaps was not stowed, locked or otherwise disabled by the engineer.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pporro
Member # 31539

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pporro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice cover-up. Oh wait, it isn't some complicated chance incident that would be difficult to accomplish. The cleaning lady bumped a control and drove into a house.

Really? Anyone buying this new version? I'm not.

Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee-North | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Interesting. Why do you think there is a cover-up?
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
British drivers have their own master key which they carry with them at all times when on driving duties. Leaving your keys in the reverser is akin to leaving your keys in your front door of your house, albeit with more serious ramifications. The "key" is not much more than a particular sized block though - not exactly hard to reproduce but stops accidents like knocking the controls.

Though I did work on Norwegian railways (combined driver and signaling simulation), the question of a master key never came up, at least in respect of the work I was doing. Norway and Sweden are very similar in rail terms.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pporro
Member # 31539

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pporro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:

Accidentally remove the brake, then accidentally switch from neutral to forward, accidentally move from idle to notch one and then if there is one, accidentally step on the dead mans throttle.

Three or four distinct separate steps, a distance apart, not just bumping a lever.

That's why. [Confused]

I'll accept that a cleaning lady had access and could have had a cab key. It wasn't a break in.

Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee-North | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pporro:
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:

Accidentally remove the brake, then accidentally switch from neutral to forward, accidentally move from idle to notch one and then if there is one, accidentally step on the dead mans throttle.

Three or four distinct separate steps, a distance apart, not just bumping a lever.

That's why. [Confused]

I'll accept that a cleaning lady had access and could have had a cab key. It wasn't a break in.

I see your point though you're assuming the train was properly parked. What if, for example, the driver had improperly stopped his train while he went for a smoke/pee, and the combined brake/throttle nudge was all that was needed? Hypothetical but then we don't know much in the way of detail.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Mayo, it appears that Sweden has a transportation safety investigation agency:

http://www.havkom.se/

Have you knowledge if this agency's scope includes rail accidents/incidents and have you any thoughts to what extent their investigations can be considered "thorough"?

Since there was personal injury, one would think they would have some jurisdiction in the matter.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

I can't speak directly for Sweden's investigative agency but if it's anything like the UK's then it would be involved as it involved substantial property damage (both rail and non-rail) involving a transport medium.

In fact, it would appear it IS investigating it:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.havkom.se%2F&act=url (translated). Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Saltsj%C3%B6banan_train_crash (Wikipedia, with links) suggest safety breaches may have occurred.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page