RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Need Advice, Please (for old time's sake)

Author Topic: Need Advice, Please (for old time's sake)
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

It has been a while since I've been here. The fact is that I've been flying lately, but it wasn't too long ago when I was traveling by Amtrak exclusively. I traveled on various Amtrak lines for 15 years straight all over the country and not once during that time did I get on an airplane.

At any rate, I'm planning on burning through 20K Amtrak points in a few months in a roommette with a lady friend of mine and the plan is to travel from Chicago to LA but not on the SW Chief. I've done that route more times than I can count and I don't want to do it again.

I'm thinking of doing something new: I'm thinking of taking the Empire Builder from Chicago to Portland and then jump on the Coast Starlight to LAX.

Does this sound like a good plan? Is the route fairly scenic? I'd be interested in anything you have to say...for old time's sake.

Also, when I book the roommette, if the agent gives me the opportunity to pick a location on the train, I'd be curious to know where would be the best location on the sleeper car? In the middle? At the ends? On the first level or the second?

I've only taken a roommette once and I know it will be cramped but anything beats a coach seat and I can't afford a bedroom so that will have to do, I guess.

And, do you think I will have a problem bringing beer on board the train in a cooler? I've never had a problem with that in the past, but times do have a way of changing.

Finally, I think the guest rewards agent said there was a two hour layover in Portland before we board the Coast Starlight but she assured me that on-time performance had increased substantially since I used to ride the rails.

Two hours doesn't seem like a lot of time for an Amtrak layover but she said we'll have a guaranteed connection, or something along those lines. At that points visions of an Amtrak Bus went through my head.

So, that's everything. I hope one of you will take the time to write me a response. And thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Chuck

--------------------
Please visit "Chucksville" at http://www.chucksville.com and sign my guestbook!

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KacyB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I am planning to take the Coast Starlight this summer and have been assured that it's a wonderfully scenic route.

Regarding beer, there is no problem taking alcohol into your roomette - that appears to be the latest information.

I've never taken an Amtrak train, but have been told to allow atleast 3 hours for any connection. I've built overnights into all of our stops because the idea of getting on a bus fills me with dread!!

Hope that's of some help!

Kacy

Posts: 69 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did that very trip about five years ago. The scenary on the EB is ok, the best of it is as you cross into Idaho but as that's in the early evening how much you see depends on the time of year and what time it gets dark.

The Portland section is at the rear of the train, so you have to walk through the entire train to get to the restaurant etc. The train divides at Spokane and the restaurant car goes to Seattle so there is no cooked breakfast on the morning of arrival, just a meal box.

As for which roomette, my preference is upstairs at one of the ends, but I found nothing wrong when I travelled in the middle of the carriage.

I had almost a 5 hour wait in Portland, it seemed to be a very nice city and the area around the station was perfectly safe to walk around. When I was there the station had a lounge with free coffee and a left luggage area.

The last I heard you are allowed to consume your own alcohol in your sleeper.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back, Chuck. I remember you well as a regular contributor on this forum.

Is it an option to take the Empire Builder eastbound? You see more of the Glacier Park area scenery by daylight, as well as the scenic Mississippi between St. Paul and LaCrosse.

The Columbia River Gorge is exceptionally scenic in either direction (it will be either sunrise or sunset).

Remember, whoever gets the top bunk gets no window and very little headroom in a Superliner roomette. The smaller the beer cooler the better unless you don't mind leaving it downstairs in luggage. I usually take the little 6-pack size that fits on the steps to the upper bunk. I prefer the upper level for viewing scenery.

Large laptop size bags fit easily into the thin closet and under the bed. A small backpack can serve as a headboard to prop you up in bed. Any large luggage will not fit and have to go downstairs.

The connection at PDX is risky. I did it last September eastbound and I was bussed from Klamath Falls to Pasco. It was not fun. But I don't think Guest Rewards will allow a layover on a single two-zone trip. You do have 3.5 hours at Portland westbound. But the Empire Builder had some track work delays in North Dakota last year. Best to keep an eye on train status near the time you are going.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't disagree with TSR;s comment about better viewing in the upstairs roomettes, but the downstairs units have their attractions too: you're out of the traffic flow, you're closer to the shower and the bank of bathrooms; if you do leave your cooler in the luggage rack, it's right outside your room.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
End rooms on the top level suffer from the doors to the adjacent cars letting in noise, as well as the noise of the doors themselves. The rooms more towards the center are near the bathroom and coffee station so might suffer from people congregating and chatting. Downstairs, external doors slamming might be an issue. I guess if I were to pick a roomette number, it would be 3 to 8 upstairs or 13/14 downstairs.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everybody! I am eagerly devouring your replies.

But I wonder: Do you suppose we might have more fun on the legendary California Zephyr? Would that route be more scenic?

The problem with the Zephyr is that it does not appear to connect very well (or at all) with the Starlight.

So I'm still open for suggestions. Bring it on....

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When would you be taking the Empire Builder, Charles? If you go during the peak summer months, it's still possible to see much of Glacier Park and the Rocky Mountains, westbound. Twilight time is usually around 10:00 PM, or later. That should take you into Whitefish, and a little beyond, before nightfall.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Amtrak's best constant scenery is probably west from Denver and it is timed well for daylight.

Will Guest Rewards let you choose any route on a two-zone fare between CHI and LAX, even if one involves an overnight between trains? An overnight off the train between Sacramento and Emeryville might be a welcome break and a safe connection.

AGR would not let me book Sacramento-Seattle-St. Paul with an overnight in Seattle unless I split it into 2 segments, costing me a total of 35,000 points instead of 20,000. But when I was bussed and missed half my Starlight ride, Amtrak did give me a generous voucher for future travel (and I just used it for a warm winter break to ABQ).

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Zephyr is the best scenic train in Amtrak's fleet. The ride through the Rockys is a visual overload. The Coast Starlight is right behind it.

Roomette-wise, my choices are:
4, 5, 6 first,
2, 3 second,
7, 8 third (They sit over the wheels)
9, 10 never (way too noisy)

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lower level roomettes are more private (fewer people will be passing by) but at station stops there may be passengers standing right outside your window. In the upper level rooms you will hear less of the track noise but you will have to deal with more hallway traffic. Upper rooms don't have to deal with the stairs as often, but the bathrooms and shower are closer if you book a lower level room.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes the families in the Family Room on the lower level can be noisy and boisterous. That might make Rooms 13 and 14 unpleasant.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Empire Builder, to me, is very "eh" as far as scenery goes. Lots and lots of huge expanses of open field. There are scenic spots along the way, but they only come once every few hours or so. I've taken the Builder/Starlight/Zephyr more times than I can count. I'd say as far as scenery goes, you can't beat the Zephyr. I mean, you get both the Rockies AND the Sierra---what more could you ask for???

If you were to try and route yourself on the Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville, and then Emeryville to Los Angeles, I am fairly certain that AGR will put you on a San Joaquin train EMY-LAX (which means you are on a bus from Bakersfield to Los Angeles--about 2.5 hours total). If you want to take the Starlight to LA to see the gorgeous coast, then you'd have to book TWO totally separate AGR trips, which burns up a lot of points. What you could always do is book the AGR trip on the Zephyr, but then pay cash for the Starlight (which would be the next morning out of EMY---just overnight in the hotel right there across from the station in EMY). It's worth it to pay for a sleeper because it gives you access to the Pacific Parlour Car, a new menu, and wine/cheese tasting. Worth every penny!

FYI, the "box breakfast" mentioned above is, in my own personal opinion, MUCH MUCH better food than anything you'll get served in the diner. I've had both the box dinner and box breakfast, and it's delicious. I would happily have that over the dining car any day, so there's nothing to worry about food quality-wise with a boxed meal.

As far as which Roomette to book, it's very simple which one to choose and it all depends on your own personal preferences:

-Rooms 9 and 10 are OVER the wheels and right next to the sliding door that goes into the next car. It's noisy, and it's bumpy.

-Rooms 2-8 are more in the middle of the car, which givers a much smoother ride and MUCH less noise (Rooms 1 and 2 are pretty much right smack in the middle, with Room 1 being the attendant's room).

-Rooms 11-14 are downstairs, and as noted above, are right next to the bathrooms and the shower. I view this is a big negative, but some folks view it as a positive (Why?? I have no idea). You are also right next to the entry/exit door, which means it will be noisy on every stop, and the cold winter air rushes in when that door opens. I also feel a bit "isolated" down there, and I don't care for it. Also, you are right next to the Family Bedroom. If you have a family in there with out of control, noisy kids (which is quite often), it makes for an unpleasant journey. So I am obviously against the downstairs rooms for many reasons.

So to sum it all up, if it were me doing it and you can swing the cash payment, here is what I would do:

1) Train #5 (CA Zephyr) Chicago-Emeryville

2) Overnight in Emeryville at the hotel right across from the station

3) Pay cash to book a sleeper on Train #11 (Coast Starlight) the next morning, Emeryville-Los Angeles

Keep in mind that with a sleeper, you only pay for the room ONCE. So if there are two of you, you pay the exact same price except for just a little bit more for the rail-only portion of the second person. This includes all of your meals, which in this case if the train is on time, would be breakfast, lunch, and an early/quick dinner before LAX arrival. (Station code LAX, not the airport LAX).

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe somebody should produce an equivalent of seatguru/seatexpert for Amtrak?

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KacyB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should indeed... and bear in mind in July next year there will be a rather noisy family travelling out there. Might want to avoid us ;-)
Posts: 69 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Wow, thanks for all the really great advice! I'm starting to warm up on the idea of the Zephry and paying cash for a roomette in Emeryville (it's only a couple hundred dollars or so.

How's the food in the dining car these days? I remember when they served ribs on the SW Chief. My god they were to die for....

And the French toast for breakfast. That wasn't bad either.

Now then, what exactly is that boxed breakfast all about?

--------------------
Please visit "Chucksville" at http://www.chucksville.com and sign my guestbook!

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The food is pretty good. The vegetables at dinner are a little overdone, but on my recent trip, most people were raving about everything else.

Boxed meals are served on the Portland to Spokane segment of the Empire Builder because the diner goes to Seattle. There is some talk of adding a Parlour Car type of car to the Empire Builder consist to relieve overcrowding in the EB diner. The EB Parlour Car would go to Portland and full service meals would then be available for sleeper passengers.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the California Zephyr Chicago-Sacramento just this past weekend. I would recommend an itinerary using this train to anyone.

The food was, I think, a couple of notches better than when you were riding and posting here regularly. Service for the most part has improved also. It was a little slow and uneven on my trip but never unpleasant and/or surly.

Best roomettes are #5 & #6.

The hotel in Sacramento is the 'Old Town Executive' location of the Vagabond Inn, a local chain of motor hotels. I am happy to report that while the platforms in Sacramento have been moved a football field's length further from the station, a NEW entrance to the parking lot has opened in front of the station. There is a light and a crosswalk here meaning no walking half a block in the opposite direction to get a safe place to cross the street when you head for the Vagabond Inn.

Diner Menu - French Toast was absent from the California Zephyr menu. Pancakes were available in it's place. Major disappointment but I survived.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
French Toast was absent from the Starlight, too. Pancakes were OK, oatmeal looked good.
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
French toast missing on eastbound Empire Builder in January. It was on the westbound trip, and delicious!
Let me add my vote for Zephyr and Starlight combo, even though it does involve an overnight in Emeryville.
Agree with rooms 5&6 as best. I do not normally get carsick, but I find the lower level roomettes make me a little queasy. View is better from the upper level, too.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles -- On my train trip last summer, I was in lower level roomettes on almost every LD I rode. On one segment (the Sunset Ltd, I believe), there was an older couple in the family room, who were quite noisy at times (not the entire way!), especially during the "0-dark-30" layover in San Antonio.

Concerning the hotel "across the street from the station" in EMY, isn't that the one which others on this Board have said was quite "seedy" and undesirable (maybe even unsafe)?

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles- The hotel across the street in Emeryville is now the Hyatt House. We stayed there in August after using the northbound Starlight and it was excellent. Ask for a room on an upper floor facing the bay. Great view and good service. At the time we were offered a free breakfast but not sure if that's normal. It's a bit of a hike and certainly doable if you're mobile. Requires using a pedestrian overpass across the tracks. It had elevators so wasn't difficult with luggage. Quite a few passengers made the walk with us.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the hotel-across-the-street-from-the-station-that-others-have-said-is-seedy is the one in Jack London Square. Right?

My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt last March and loved it. It had been recently refurbished so prices were low. When making the reservation I asked for a room with a view of the station and was given one with a balcony overlooking the tracks. Great for photography.

It's an easy walk to the hotel over the overpass and parking lot with wheeled luggage.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soooo,

I think I'll put off the Zephyr for a while. The connections are a little too complicated and I don't think I'd want to tackle them unless I had lots of money to blow. Plus, the Empire Builder doesn't sound that awful, especially for September.

Here's the plan, to paid for with 20,000 pts. I'm using hypothetical dates, by the way.

Departing CHI Sat., Aug. 24 at 2:15 pm (EBuilder)
Arriving PDX on Mon., Aug. 26 at 10:10 am

Then

Departing PDX Mon., Aug. 26 at 2:25 pm (Starlight)
Arriving LAX Tues., Aug. 27 at 9 pm

We will reserve Superliner Roomettes on both legs of the journey and we will shoot for (as per Mike Smith):

4, 5, 6 first,
2, 3 second,
7, 8 third (They sit over the wheels)
9, 10 never (way too noisy)

So, question: are these roommettes on the first or second level? And if they are on the first level, will I regret not being on the second level?

I know this must be exhausting for you all and I probably missed the answer to the above question but if you will just bear with me for a few more minutes, I think I will be ready to make the reservations.

Thanks everybody for the feedback and please, please don't hold back (I don't think I've heard from The Big Guy ---GBN--- yet) [Roll Eyes]

Chuck

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck--

Have you talked to Guest Rewards yet?

When I booked VCN-SEA-SBA two years ago they allowed me to break the trip in Seattle ONLY because we resumed travel less than 24 hours later.

Perhaps because this is the only connection they will allow you to do it.

Let us know what they say. Since you are doing a sleeper you'll need to call anyhow. At least in the past you couldn't book sleepers on line.

My experiences with the Guest Rewards folk have always been very positive.

Frank in sunny but cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of my suggestions are on the top floor. I have been on the bottom floor before (rooms 11-14), but I much prefer the top. (Too much activity on the bottom level)
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The seedy hotel is indeed the Jack London Inn near the Oakland Jack London Square station.

I would not recommend that hotel...... unless it too became a Hyatt!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Please be sure to let us know if you are able to book Chicago-Portland-LAX as a 20,000-point two-zone Guest Rewards ticket. That's a lotta train travelin' for a two-zoner.

If you're successful, I'm going to do it, too!

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"One of these days" maybe just "one of these days", I'll understand the obsession with these reward point plans. I have heard of people, not necessarily "airfans" who will take flights simply to get enough points within a time frame just to qualify for "bonus" points or a higher "precious metal" standing within the plan.

I've also learned about some of the routings reward point users end up with. Some friends using reward points (I guess that is "miles" in airlinese) flying United ended up with KORD-KMSN-KSUX-KDEN and there. mercifully, change to KDEN-KRNO. To top it off, she is "jittery" about flying "puddle jumpers" - and I think it is pretty safe to say what that first flight noted had.

Well, they have now changed allegiance to American, which allows them nonstops to KRNO as well as to KATL where they also go a fair amount.

From what I read here, it seems like the Guest Rewards (AGR in forumese) imposes just as many "hoops" to jump through.

As for myself, I have one card, a Capital One Visa, that has airline miles. However, last October, I gave them away to the Red Cross for Sandy relief and will not use that card again until next July (better credit score if you are "good pay" with three cards rather than just one). My other two cards do not have any reward points.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles -- rooms 2-8 are indeed on the upper level of the Superliner sleepers. I agree they are more desirable than lower-level rooms.

And Henry and others -- yes the "seedy" hotel was the Jack London Square one in Oakland (not Emeryville). I would imagine the Hyatt would be fine.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear friends,

I would like to thank you for all the advice that you gave me for the trip I recently took on the Empire Builder and the Coast Starlight.

I invite you to read about this journey on my website that is located here:

http://chucksville.com/

You may have to read a couple thousand words before you get to the Amtrak part but where there's a will, there's a way.

And please sign my guestbook, should you feel so inclined, or reply to this post. I certainly look forward to reading your words, good or bad.

I feel privileged to have gotten to know you throughout the years and have always valued your sage advice.

Cordially,

Chuck Reuben

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice story. i enjoyed it.

chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really enjoyed reading your story, and your blog, too, on your website. You were quite fortunate that the Builder was on time.

(I would have signed your Guestbook but I didn't want to have to share my e-mail addy with everyone. There are "bots" that "scrape" websites and e-mails for personal info.)

You are very fortunate to have such a nice family and such nice friends. It is SO nice to be able to stay with family and friends, instead of always having to be in a hotel or motel. (Some railfan friends of mine like to call that "Motel Zero". LOL!)

Welcome back to TrainWeb!

Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MargaretSPfan:

You are very fortunate to have such a nice family and such nice friends. It is SO nice to be able to stay with family and friends, instead of always having to be in a hotel or motel.

Margaret, there are two schools of thought on that one; I'm in the other.

Of the six out of town trips I took during 2013, two were four nighters, and the remainder one night stands (do the math; twelve nights). Of that, nine of those nights could have potentially been spent with family or friends. During my college and military service days, well that was one thing; but it is something else for a 72 year old very set in his ways geezer.

Although those twelve nights in hotels ran me $2233.57 (room, tax, parking; and the three unavoidables - no friends or family around - ran $854.23 - and could have found cheaper 'pads' if I were of mind to do so), and I recognize some here choose to or must minimize that expense, to me it represents a necessary cost to keep friends friends and family family.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN:
Very good point! Sometimes it can be quite an imposition on folks to have to host even good friends or beloved family members. That is what hotels/motels are for. But I myself still prefer "Motel Zero", if such is not an imposition. (I have not traveled at all in some years -- since the time in 2008 when we went to see the 3751 -- and I would have preferred to stay with friends then, but it would have been an imposition then, and I do not like to impose on people.)

Margaret

Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you take the Builder, I URGE you to do it eastbound. That way a moderately late train won't make you miss Glacier Park. Moreover, eastbound takes you down the Mississippi River out of the Twin Cities during daylight.

Two-hour connections on Amtrak long-distance trains frighten me. Hopefully, a friendly Amtrak agent can set up an overnight in Portland for you. It's a great city.

If you do take a Starlight/Zephyr combo, that complicates things a bit. Eastbound from Chicago almost (almost) guarantees that you will not miss the heart of the Rockies if the train is not more than moderately late. However, northbound from Los Angeles does the same for the Starlight's best scenery. You have to make a choice of what scenery you are least willing to miss.

The overnight connection from the Starlight to the Zephyr takes place in Emeryville, not Oakland. I totally agree with the Hyatt recommendation.

My forth floor room on the west side had a view of SF Bay and the Golden Gate bridge. A room on the east side gave me nearly constant views of UP, Amtrak, and BNSF traffic rights traffic. The window was soundproofed enough to block out most of the noise.

A bridge with an elevator option takes you across to the Amtrak station.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Enjoyed your trip immensely Mr. Reuben.....

Thanks for sharing it with us.

--------------------
David Pressley

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note to self: Read dates on comments more carefully.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page