RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rio Grande Scenic Shops/Pullman Rail Journeys

Author Topic: Rio Grande Scenic Shops/Pullman Rail Journeys
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our story about a visit in late July 2012 to the Rio Grande Scenic RR shops in Alamosa is now posted to the main page of TrainWeb. During this visit we viewed several unique pieces of historic passenger cars in various stages of renovation. Many of these have found their way onto the new Pullman Rail Journeys service between Chicago and New Orleans. The domes have been reported in use on various routes such as the Reno Snow Train and a new tourist train run by Iowa Pacific out of Santa Cruz. I hope you enjoy this story. Feel free to leave any questions on this thread and we will respond as time permits.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the link to the Rio Grande Scenic shop. Nice pictures...I really like the photo of the dome section, "Sunset View". Any word on how Pullman Rail Jorneys is doing? Have they said anything about expansion beyond Chicago to New Orleans?

I thought, for a while, that the Reno Fun Train was no longer in operation. I guess it still is, but has a very narrow window as to when you can ride the train (Emeryville to Reno). I think the cost figure is quite reasonable considering it includes a couple of nights lodging.

http://www.vacationsbyrail.com/usa/amtrak_vacations/reno/fun-train/index.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=reno-fun%20train

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent write up, Jack. Thanks. Are the shops open to the public, I'd certainly pay for a tour?

It is amazing that they have amassed 9 dome cars, 8 of which are ex ATSF.

It is interesting that they acquired ex C&O Blue Ridge Club. Originally bought for the stillborn Chessie train, they were used initially for sleeper/lounge/observation service on the George Washington, then operated briefly on the Dixieland to FL, and then modified to become observation-lounge-dorm cars and finally in limited service, a couple bedrooms were reopened for revenue space. I think it may have also seen service on the AOE/GrandeLux operation. The fact that it is being renamed Adirondack Club, makes me wonder if they're not headed for IP's Saratoga and North Creek operation.

I am intrigued by your mention of the heavyweight cars. Any idea of the plans for them?

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the comments and questions. The shops are not automatically open to the public but Rio Grande Scenic is rail fan friendly so a word with the right person might get you a tour. Note that our visit came late in July 2012 when they were at the height of car renovations...I'm not sure if they are real busy at this time as there wasn't lots of extra equipment sitting outside the shops waiting for restoration...maybe a couple old coaches and a diesel engine. Most of the cars we saw inside have been reported in use on various Iowa Pacific services or in charter use. The heavyweights were, I believe planned for the Chicago-New York operation which soon after our visit was put on hold. Some of their refurbishment work was taking place in Indiana..a former Milwaukee Road skytop car and the Northern Pacific dome sleepers, among others. I haven't heard anything about the Chicago-New Orleans service other than it had started operation late in 2012. Hopefully it will do well as this is a great concept by people who love trains. Be sure to read Part 4 which covers the Rio Grande Scenic...an excellent route with some super equipment. I wholeheartedly endorse taking a trip to Alamosa to ride that line...be sure to ride the "Mardi Gras". There are lots of other nice rail trips nearby (read Parts 1, 2,and 3). It's easy to reach Alamosa from either Denver or points along the SW Chief route by rental car.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SilverStar092:
I haven't heard anything about the Chicago-New Orleans service other than it had started operation late in 2012. Hopefully it will do well as this is a great concept by people who love trains.

Reference is made to posts #64 and #65 regarding "how the first trip turned out":

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/7107.html

"Cutting to the chase", The Northbound journey had a derailment at Tuscola IL which was minor (apparently thanks to the quick thinking of a railfan car attendant) but could have been "quite major". As a result, the CN barred IP passenger equipment from their rails and nothing further has been heard, one way or the other, since.

As of a few moments ago, the Pullman Rail Journeys site shows Chicago-New Orleans service Southward Effective April Tuesdays and Fridays, Northward Sunday and Thursday.

They have now added Boston as a destination, but do not show any dates for service.

If you ask me, the "elevator music" at 116 S. Clinton must be written and performed by Mama Cass.

Word to the wise; if you choose to do business with them, be sure to do it with a credit, as distinct from a debit, card. You will have far more recourse to recover a deposit with such, and judging by their "track record" to date, such recourse may well have to be exercised.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page