RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Story About Rail Museums and Front Runner

Author Topic: Story About Rail Museums and Front Runner
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our story about visits to the nice little railroad museum in Ridgway, CO and the comprehensive museum in Ogden (UT)Union Station is now posted to TrainWeb. There are links to this story on TrainWeb's home page under "What's New" and there should be a photo link as well. This story is Part from our travelogue. The rail museum in Ridgway houses a nice collection of Galloping Goose photos and memorabilia plus a replica of Goose # 1. At the time of our visit Goose # 4 was still on site but was to return to Telluride soon thereafter. The museum in Ogden has some really interesting locomotives on display as well as various artifacts that make it worth a visit along with the former train station which once served Southern Pacific, Union Pacific, Rio Grande, and Amtrak. We also rode Front Runner during our visit and this is a really nice commuter ride. Feel free to post and questions or comments here and I will try to answr them as soon as possible. At the bottom of each story in this series you will find links to earlier stories from our extensive Summer 2012 rail/driving trip.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a visit to Salt Lake City to check out the light rail and Front Runner is in order. I've been to Ogden and Promontory via rental car but the Front Runner was not yet in service.

Is the transportation center in Ogden at the old Union Station?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are thoughts from my April 2010 visit:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=34393&p=802093#p802093

The transportation center is somewhat North of the OUD, which is now a "mixed use" facility as well as a museum and a quite impressive display of railroad equipment including a Gas Turbine, and in which in my files, I have photos of them taken in Weber Canyon circa 1968.

But it is always "sport" to walk up to a docent dressed up in a Conductor's uniform and say "I'd like a roomette on The City to Chicago tomorrow". At least they know what you're talkin' about; "well sir, I'm afraid you missed the last one by about thirty years".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice trip report. That chili cheeseburger at Milt's looks great!!!! Mmmmmmm....Mongo like chili cheeseburger.

Isn't it nice how you can stop pretty much anywhere in the USA at a Hampton Inn, and you will know that it's going to be nice and new, clean, and well-maintained? I really love that chain. Except when I'm in Vegas, I strictly stay at Hampton Inn because of the value (and on weekdays, they give me a gov't rate of $99/night).

I was surprised to see the DRGW 5371 there. I knew that it had been pulled from the UP fleet and donated to a museum---but I didn't know which museum, and I had heard nothing about it for a few years. But now I know where it is! (Too bad one of the numberboards is missing).

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed the departure site for Front Runner in Ogden is just north of Union Station...it was about a 2 block walk at most. City busses serve the same location; there are simply platforms at that locale, not a station. Typically a northbound train pulls in just as a southbound departs. It is a nice ride and worth the time. The museum at Union Station is very good and I love the locomotive display outside. It also includes the car used prior to the Salt Lake Winter Olympics to carry the Olympic flame. And, yes, that chili cheeseburger was delicious. Milt's reminded me of a 1950s/60s burger place which essentially is exactly what it is.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page