RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Newbie taking first rail journey soon

Author Topic: Newbie taking first rail journey soon
jennymcc
Member # 60357

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for jennymcc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all you rail experts! I have always loved trains and now that my husband and I are nearing retirement, we plan to see some of the country on Amtrak! I used to live in the NJ/NYC area and always took the train to work/school (Erie Lackawanna). I have such fond memories of those trains! So, I am looking forward to our train adventures!

For our first "shake-down" trip, we are planing to take a trip from Harrisburg, PA (we live in Gettysburg, PA) to Charleston, SC in late September. On the way down, we plan to do Coach from Harrisburg to Philly. Then Business Class from Phi to Charleston, since it is a day trip.

We will spend 2 days in Charleston.

Then on the way back, we plan to get a Roomette for the overnight journey between Charleston and Philly.

I am sure I will have lots of questions in days/years to come. But to start:

Is Business class worth the upgrade from Coach? I assume that there is more width/legroom?
For Roomette: Will I be able to request a certain room? Or am I stuck with what they assign?
Any other tips for this trip? Train or otherwise? We have never been to Charleston, SC.

We hope to do the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle next year! I can't wait!!

Glad to "meet" you all! Thanks for your help!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Business Class is worth it simply because 1) the premium over Coach is "not obscene" and 2) there simply more privacy and less foot traffic through the car. Some trains are assigned Business Class cars with wider seats configured 2-1 abreast, some same sized 2 abreast seats but more legroom, and some "it's just another Coach".

So far as a double occupancy Roomette, it's "mighty cramped" in there. I think your travel experience will be rewarded if you opt for a Bedroom. More costly, but after all, you're not making these trips because you must.

Finally, you can request a specific room accommodation if you book by telephone. There is no provision to do so over the web and you will not know your space assignment until you have your confirmation.

Otherwise, welcome to our forum.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roomettes numbered 1 through 6 are closest to the mid-point of the car. They'll give you the smoothest ride.

When you phone, ask if any of those are available. Then ask which is least expensive. For reasons that can defy logic, Amtrak's demand pricing calculations can result in a higher fare for one roomette than for the identical roomette next door. So always ask.

Keep in mind that the Charleston, SC Amtrak station is out in the boondocks. It's about 9 miles from the station to the historic/hotel area of town.

I don't know your travel budget, but make sure that two not-inexpensive taxi rides (from your train and back to your train) are part of your calculations.

----------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Gil said. As far as Charleston, here's a link:

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/what_to_see_do~3/

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a South Carolina resident, we go to Charleston often and often take the train to the Northeast. Our son lives in Morristown, NJ and also has the pleasure of a daily commute on NJT, though I suspect its not anywhere as nice as in E-L days and the likes of the Phoebe Snow train.

Everyone has given you good advice on the train travel. I'll just reiterate that on the Palmetto to Charleston, it is often very crowded all the way to NC points where it starts to thin out. I highly recommend business class for that reason. While there isn't much in the way of amenities, it is next to the cafe car and you'll get a free soft drink or coffee and the New York Times or USA today is usually available. The train has wifi, although reception can often be spotty.

Northbound on the Silver Meteor, you'll enjoy your roomette, although it is very small. A bottle of wine helps. Unlike the western trains, the lounge car is best avoided. The person in the upper bunk has a small window so it's not claustrophobic as it is on some western trains. Pack lightly as there is very little storage space (but you can check your bag (no charge)if you want to take more. You'll be too late for dinner in the diner, but be sure and get up early enough to have breakfast. It is so much nicer than the cafe car on your southbound trip.

In Charleston, be sure and stay in the historic area downtown. It is more expensive but well worth it as Charleston is very much a walking city. King St. has the shops, Bay St. has many of the great restaurants. Don't even think about eating in a chain restaurant as the city is known for its outstanding southern cuisine. Some of our favorites are 'Slightly North of Broad' - good for leisurely lunch; Magnolias - an excellent Sunday brunch (but good anytime), Tristan's, and Hank's (seafood). Again you'll pay more for these but it is well worth it. Reservations are a good idea and you'll usually see more local residents than touristy types. Most dress up a bit for the occasion. You'll enjoy the obligatory carriage ride, boat trip to Fort Sumter, a walk to the Battery, and, if you have time, a tour to one of the plantations. We like Middleton Place. If you go there, plan on lunch and get their famous she-crab soup.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennymcc
Member # 60357

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennymcc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to say thank you for all the information and advice! It will take me a little while to digest it all and do some research. But you all are wonderful!

Palmland: Love your comment "A bottle of wine helps" LOL I appreciate your local perspective and will be asking for more advice as we get closer to the trip!

As for the Roomette vs bedroom: My husband is not a big man, and he sleeps like a rock! He will be more than glad to take the top bunk. I am a light sleeper and not so small, but I'm sure the roomette bottom bed will be fine for me for one night. We will get a bigger room on longer trips.

I did a brief check on rates for a ride from the station to downtown and it looks like it is very pricey ($45 each way!). Any help with taxi/shuttle info is appreciated!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You shouldn't bother with a chain hotel in Charleston. Many of the houses rent rooms and you might find one located on or near the Battery. The hosts tend to be quite hospitable. I've stayed in some that had bicycles for the guests' use (Charleston is easy to navigate on foot or bike.) Another one had a container of sherry available in the parlor.It's been years since I stayed there, so my recommendations would be out of date. But do a search.
I wish you luck in visiting in late September. I preferred to go in mid to late Spring, before it got hot. Charleston Summers can be quite humid. And in the Spring there is a flower that blooms all over town that makes the place smell not unlike rice pudding.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I respect your thoughts, both at this topic as I do elsewhere at this site, Mr. Nicholson, but I would stick to major brand chain hotels. As for "Guest Houses", "B&B's", "Mom and Pop Motels" (even "loose" chains such as Best Western), some surely fine or preferred by others, but not me.

I know some find chains (be they Econo or Luxobrand) to be "same same boring boring', but to me when traveling "the best surprise is no surprise'.

They take my plastic, I have a written confirmation, I know what I'm getting.

All important to me; possibly Ms. Jenny enjoys adventure in travel, and as such will accept your viewpoint over mine.

We shall see if she chooses to share.

Finally, if one is really "bent" on beating a high taxicab fare (and has no other need to rent an auto - always "problematic" when using Amtrak), the Charleston transit agency named CARTA has a #10 bus route that operates along US52 and would, from reviewing their System Map, eventually get you Downtown.

However, I would not recommend that to my worst enemy.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jennymcc:
I did a brief check on rates for a ride from the station to downtown and it looks like it is very pricey ($45 each way!). Any help with taxi/shuttle info is appreciated!

Remember, it will be $55 each way after you add a $10 tip.

Regarding the #10 bus: Your train will arrive late in the day. The bus doesn't run frequently. And it doesn't stop in front of the station.

It takes 5-7 minutes to walk to the stop. To reach it, you would have to navigate a winding, unfamiliar route through a somewhat desolate, quasi-industrial neighborhood that isn't pedestrian-friendly.

When I was there, the bus stop wasn't clearly marked. You could easily end up standing at the wrong spot as your bus sails past.

I always walk or take public transit to my hotel whenever possible. Unfortunately, like many small Amtrak cities, this is one place where a taxi is your only comfortable option.

That's unless you can find a hotel or B&B that will send someone to pick you up. Since Amtrak's timekeeping is erratic, the hotel would likely ask you to phone them from the train, an hour before you expect to arrive.

----------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few chain hotels on the side of town not terribly far from the train station. You may wish to do some research and see of any offer courtesy transportation to/from the Amtrak station. If so, and that hotel happens to have a rental car desk, you might find a one day car rental much cheaper than taxiing from Amtrak to a downtown area hotel.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm liking SilverStar's suggestion.....

Taking it a step further - you could do the 'chain by the freeway but we'll pick you up at Amtrak' hotel the first night.

The following morning, after a relaxing night's sleep and shower, you're in much better shape to face the challenges of a strange city transit system....... or perhaps Enterprise would pick you up at your hotel with a rental car rate better than the estimated $100 round-trip cab fare. You could move to a historic downtown property for your second night in town.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Ms. Jenny, Mr. Presley has afforded you sound advice

You will find that the "clump" of hotels immediately South of Charleston AFB is relatively close to Amtrak. There is also an Enterprise outlet within that immediate area, should you choose to rent from them.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page