TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Frank Wilner on "anti-Amtrak bullies"

Author Topic: Frank Wilner on "anti-Amtrak bullies"
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See here.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would concentrate on regional railroads like the old railroads long distance trains where always the luxary lines while they let the commuter lines fall apart.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last numbers I saw were:

Road transportation = 37 billion more than it took in.
Air transportation = $14 billion more than it took in.
Water transportation = 6 billion more than it took in.
Rail transportation = 1 billion more than it took in.

Why would Mica or Barone whine about chump change, when they are wasting hundreds of billions of dollars in DC. Every one of the above dollars are AFTER all taxes and assessments have been deducted.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting to note that Railway Age circulated this pro-Amtrak opinion piece.

Railway Age is a controlled circulation publication meaning that subscribers must have a professional affiliation with the railroad industry in order to subscribe (my subscription was not renewed when I left the industry) and as such is an industry oriented publication. While TRAINS has much information of interest to industry professionals, it is general circulation and appeals to the hobbyist as well. Railfan and Railroad is clearly directed towards the hobby segment.

But that this opinion piece was circulated in RA suggests that the industry has moved to Kubler Ross Phase V Acceptance with regards to Amtrak. While any Class I management knows Amtrak was a bad deal and with hindsight should been rejected by any road other than Penn Central as that was a ward of the State, I guess the philosophy has evolved to that of "we can't get rid of it, so let's just accept it".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page