TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New locomotives for NEC

Author Topic: New locomotives for NEC
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Media Relations today:

AMTRAK UNVEILS ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY LOCOMOTIVES FOR NORTHEAST SERVICE; Siemens-built equipment to improve reliability, efficiency and mobility

WASHINGTON - A new era of more reliable and energy efficient Amtrak service for Northeast intercity rail passengers is coming down the tracks as the first of 70 advanced technology electric locomotives being built by Siemens begin rolling off the assembly line today. The first units of the $466 million order will be field tested this summer for entry into revenue service in the fall.

"The new Amtrak locomotives will help power the economic future of the Northeast region, provide more reliable and efficient service for passengers and support the rebirth of rail manufacturing in America," said Amtrak President and CEO Joseph Boardman. "Built on the West Coast for service in the Northeast with suppliers from many states, businesses and workers from across the country are helping to modernize the locomotive fleet of America's Railroad."

Using Siemens' innovative and proven rail technology, the Amtrak Cities Sprinter (ACS-64) locomotives are being assembled in Siemens' Sacramento, Calif., rail manufacturing plant powered by renewable energy, with parts built from its plants in Norwood, Ohio, Alpharetta, Ga., and Richland, Miss., and nearly 70 suppliers, representing more than 60 cities and 23 states.

The new locomotives will operate on Northeast Regional trains at speeds up to 125 mph on the Northeast Corridor (NEC) along the Washington - New York - Boston route and on Keystone Service trains at speeds up to 110 mph on the Keystone Corridor from Philadelphia to Harrisburg, Pa. In addition, all long-distance trains operating on the NEC will be powered by the new locomotives.

"More and more Americans are parking their cars and choosing the comfort and convenience of trains, metros and streetcars as their preferred way of traveling. We're proud of the innovations we've brought to passengers and commuters to expand their transportation options" said Michael Cahill, president of Siemens Rail Systems division in the U.S. "From downtown streetcar systems to regional, passenger rail lines, Siemens' transportation solutions like the next-generation Amtrak locomotives enhance safety, boost efficiency and performance, and are built in America leveraging Siemens' U.S. manufacturing hubs and supply chain."

The new locomotives are designed for easier maintenance, will improve energy efficiency by using a regenerative braking system that will feed energy back into the power grid and will enhance mobility for the people, businesses and economy of the entire Northeast region. They also meet the latest federal rail safety regulations.

"We are committed to connecting people, communities and jobs. This project does all three," said Karen Hedlund, Deputy Federal Railroad Administrator. "Investing in manufacturing these 70 new locomotives are creating and preserving jobs in 60 cities across the country while meeting the growing demand for improved reliability and service along the Northeast and Keystone Corridors."

The first three locomotives will undergo a comprehensive testing program this summer, including two at a U.S. Department of Transportation facility in Pueblo, Colo., and one on the NEC. Once they are commissioned, production of the remaining units will ramp up for monthly delivery through 2016.
The new locomotives are part of a comprehensive Amtrak Fleet Strategy Plan to modernize and expand its equipment. The new units will replace electric locomotives that have between 25 and 35 years of service and average mileage of more than 3.5 million miles traveled with some approaching 4.5 million miles.

Click to see video of the new locomotives.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sitting here with morning coffee and morning TV news. They just ran an item on these new Amtrak engines with a video of the Amtrak-California diesels. I make no comment.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, George, the Amtrak California locomotives also have wheels and run on rails. Isn't that close enough? {:-}
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would appear that Amtrak "fed" this press release to the media - including the Associated Press that I have found in the past to "dig" for railroad related stories;

Associated Press courtesy Raleigh News Observer

Of course, some outlets simply "pasted" the Release:

Amtrak Media Affairs courtesy of Fort Mill (SC) Times

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New locomotives for Amtrak are always good news and hopefully these will perform as reliably (or better) in their youth as did the AEM7's.

Anyone else wonder if the Union Pacific approves of the addition to the Amtrak logo which this locomotive is wearing?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
Well, George, the Amtrak California locomotives also have wheels and run on rails. Isn't that close enough? {:-}

Yep, you're right. Got to remember that after the Chatsworth collision one of the premier California politicians, I think Feinstein, made the statement that she was shocked to find that freight and passenger trains ran on both directions on the same track.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
[QB] It would appear that Amtrak "fed" this press release to the media - including the Associated Press that I have found in the past to "dig" for railroad related stories [QB]

Well, GBN, that's what corporate public relations people are supposed to do, tell media what's going on in the business world, and that's what media are supposed to do, tell the news consumers what's going on in the business world according to the corporate public relations people.

Nothing objectionable about it. Where else does business news come from? New locomotives are news.

I note the AP took out all the corporate self-congratulatory stuff. That's good. And the writer also went to the Brookings Institution to help put the story in perspective. That's good also.

As for the Fort Mills Times, it's sad that it no longer has the staff to rewrite and augment press releases in the fashion the AP did it. At least the paper is honest about it.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well of course Mr. Kisor, being a journalist, you know that better than does this CPA.

While I'll excuse the staff at Fort Mill Times (likely comprised of college interns); after all, didn't they win a Pulitzer or two for exposing Jim and Tammy Faye for the frauds they were??? (uh, don't think so)???

But I would think the AP could have "asked about" and developed just to what these extent these locomotives complied with "Buy American" under (I think) PRIIA08? Sure, I'll accept that they are to be assembled on US soil (and the pols will have many a photo op with American workers), but where was the design and engineering work done? How many of the parts are even assembled here? How about the profits; aren't they all going overseas?

I'm not saying any of the above is wrong; after all, when "you get right down to it", the only expertise within the US for passenger train equipment is with Diesel locomotives.

And finally, Fort Mill is on the map - at least within railfan circles - for reasons other than the Bakkers infamy. When Southern was on their divide and conquer strategy (devised by WGC lest we forget) to be rid of passenger trains, the Augusta Special somehow ended up as an intrastate Warrenville-Fort Mill operation. This sure loser did not survive long - especially in view of that SRY as good as owned the SC regulatory commission.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Good point about Buy American. But isn't Siemens a global corporation, a multinational with stockholders in every country? I shouldn't think all the profits go to the gnomes of Munich.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Regarding my reference above to the Fort Mill Times, it should be noted that The New York Times coverage of the new locomotives was little better than that of the AP. Their staff reported article was simply another rehash of the press release:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/us/amtrak-unveils-new-locomotives.html

Of course my issues with journalism go beyond matters relating to railroad industry affairs. This morning, the lead story on CBS Radio News during the 6AM hour was that The New York Times reported that actress Angelina Jolie had a (surgical procedure) done. Nowhere did they REPORT such, but rather they printed a Contributing Op-Ed column written by Ms. Jolie (well; likely her publicist) saying why she had had the elective procedure done.

So, CBS chose to lead with a story more suited for "ET" - especially when the Obama administration is confronted with its first home grown scandal reminiscent of the Nixon years, but at least the lead could have been phrased "Actress Angelina Jolie revealed in an Op-Ed column appearing in The New York Times....."

OK; for ready reference, here you go

disclaimer: author readily admits to being a "news snob".

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman:

It seems that a lot of the people in the news media are more enthralled with celebrity than substance. Cotton candy news. Fluff and almost no substance other than sufficient sugar to rot your teeth. We had a member of our extended family that recently underwent the same procedure because of a real cancer, not because it might happen someday, and so far as we are concerned, it is no one else's business.

I recall sitting in my mother's living room watchin the TV news with my second son when it came up with something about the nature of OJ's first night in jail. We looked at each other and said at the same time, "Who cares?"

As to corporate news releases, I would suggest that the characters writing these things remember something of the old saying, "Don't break your are patting yourself on the back."

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite cartoons was in 1994 during the OJ trial. A guy sitting in front of his TV with a beer is shocked when they interrupt OJ trial coverage to report Kim Jong Il had become Supreme Leader of North Korea, to which he exclaimed "What?!? Did he know OJ?"
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Give NBC Nightly News kudos for "getting it right":
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3032619/ns/NBCNightlyNews/#51884264

But I'm still astounded from the inability of major news organizations, in this case CBS Radio News, to distinguish between reporting and opinion.

Possibly this is why Ms. Jolie chose to go public with this very private matter through a source like The Times; ET, People, and Enquirer would soon pick up with the likes of "shocking". Tastefully handled on her part as well as The Times; can't say same of other outlets.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
They're all here; #670 was reported in consist of 6(2) heading East:

http://kcra.com/news/sacramento-company-delivers-last-of-70-electric-locomotives-to-amtrak/39875442

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page