RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Booked it!

Author Topic: Booked it!
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All--

I just booked our trip SBA-TAC for 4 September 2013 using Guest Rewards points. It could not have been easier thanks to "Maya" at the other end of the line.

We have Bedroom C and Roomette 3 (Let the jokes begin!) in Car 1431. I believe that is the one nearest the Parlour Car? Or is that 1430?

We will fly home from this trip and then fly back to Seattle on the 12th for a cruise down the coast.

Vincent--

We will stay near SEA-TAC the night of the 12th and plan to take the Light Rail into town. Do you have any idea how far it is from the nearest stop to the Cruise Dock. I believe we used the Bell Dock before (or Belltown?)

Frank in sunny and still warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 1431 car is one car away from the Parlour Car. The 30 car is always the one next to the Parlour (in the case of the Coast Starlight), and on the rest of the LD trains the 30 car is next to the diner with ONE exception: The California Zephyr. The Zephyr does not have a 30 car, which is something I've never understood. So the 31 car is always against the diner in the Zephyr.

Bedroom C and Roomette 3 care great rooms. I think they're the smoothest and quietest.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Port of Seattle website only lists one departure on September 13 (Celebrity Cruise) and that ship is scheduled to depart from Pier 91 WHICH IS NOT IN DOWNTOWN SEATTLE! It's about a 10 minute cab ride north of downtown Seattle and it isn't well served by public transportation. If you take light rail from the airport (which is very easy), I would recommend getting off at Westlake Station and catching a cab at one of the nearby hotels or department stores for your trip to Pier 91.

Some cruise ships still depart from the downtown Pier 66 terminal. If your ship leaves from Pier 66 you could walk from Westlake Station if you packed lightly. One block north of the Pike Place Market there is an elevator/staircase connector to the waterfront. It's also a very short cab ride from Westlake Station to Pier 66.

When you are in Seattle be sure to check out the now-finished King Street Station remodel. You won't believe your eyes.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bon voyage, Frank! We just returned from our first mega ship cruise, Disney Dream, with our sons and families. It was wonderful. Might even be better than a train trip.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched a one hour documentary on Disney Cruises. It looked so nice!! Not at all what I would have pictured a Disney cruise ship to look like. Instead, it was very modern and sleek and had lots of adult options as well as lots of kid stuff.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty--

Thanks for the info on the consist of the Starlight. I think I can handle walking through one car for meals and the wine tasting.

Vincent--

Thanks for the great info on the location of our embarkation. We are on Celebrity Solstice which is probably too large a ship for the downtown dock.

We'll take your advice and take the light rail to Westlake and get a cab.

All--

I forgot to mention how pleased I was that the e-mail confirmation I got included the "E-Ticket". As much as I enjoy going down to our station to pickup tickets it's nice to not have to think about that for this trip.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page